• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vale Onslow Building Stratford Rd

After many,many years of the scaffolding arround the corner of the Vale Onslow the scaffolding has now gorn, as is the corner of the building https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/32460507306/in/dateposted/

I suspect that the building was not in the best of condition, it must have been built many years ago, I did notice a decline over the part few months and now its gorn I do not know if they are going to rebuild the corner,
Doomed I'm afraid.
Young Len Onslow had a stroke a year or so ago. Peter his brother has been trying to find other premises for some time now. The site has been up for sale for some years but getting the right person with the correct amount of money has proved difficult.

Took this from the no 6 bus. Not the best shot from my smartphone (as the bus was moving was trying to switch to 16:9 from 4:3).

Attachments

• IMG_20170131_122649 (1280x723).jpg
    IMG_20170131_122649 (1280x723).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 37
Yes it is. Always look at it from the bus heading into town (if I'm sitting on the side where you can see it).

Wonder what will happen with that corner?

First picture in #9 must be looking towards the railway bridge at Camp Hill. I can make out, just above the bus, the building that was King Edwards Camp Hill Grammar School up to 1956. I think the building is still there but now has other students/residents. Dave.

A bit more of the former Vale Onslow building was today demolished, I did managed to get permission to take a few photos of the inside of the shop before they depart to new pastures, all I have to do now is edit the photos of the inside and the demolition, (holds head in hands) there should a nice shot of one of the householder living next door to the demolition with the expression of what he F**** is going on here ? but first I must get some dinner in me,

As soon as I was old enough I got a provisional licence and a 3.50 ex WD Royal Enfield, I passed my test as soon as I could then I traded it in for a 175 cc Gilera Sports from V. Onslow.

Fantastic photos Horsencart - I used to practically live in that shop. Very sorry to see it go. Thank you very much.

S23.

I noticed extra demolition of the corner building this morning. They later moved the painted hoardings in front of the units at the end.

Horsencart - did you pop into Le Codfather for some chips?

No I did think about going into the Cafe ? that is opposite buying a cup of tea and photographing it from there, not the tea, but the demolition,

It's in a sad state now. Not sure what's happening with the demolished corner, just broken bricks on the ground. Wondering when they will move to Bordesley Green?

It's in a sad state now. Not sure what's happening with the demolished corner, just broken bricks on the ground. Wondering when they will move to Bordesley Green?

Hello ell, I bought a new Italian m/cycle from V.Onslow in the late 50s and it was a decent shop for help and service. I also passed it 10 times most days as a bus driver doing 5 trips in and out on the Warwick and Stratford roads. I remember it well.

Have you been past it recently? As I regularly get my Stratford Road buses past it.

The area is mostly Asian and African now.

Have you been past it recently? As I regularly get my Stratford Road buses past it.

The area is mostly Asian and African now.
Hello again ell, I will not go into detail but sufficient to say the whole area is nothing like it used to be.

Another reminder of how the building used to look, this photo has to be after 1960 because of the MOT sign displayed in the window. The second photo shows the shop sometime prior to being taken over by Vale Onslow c1945. Sparkbrook Vale Onslow Stratford Rd.JPG Sparkbrook Stratford Rd - Kyotts Lake Rd Prior Vale Onslow.JPG

The photos taken post 1960's are not familiar to me but do show how trade must have increased as the shop fronts are modern - for the time. Interestingly Masons shop front and sign does not seem to have changed sine the c. 1945 photo and the post 1960 one.
However a photo of V-O's in the late 1940's, early 1950's would be recognisable.

yes ell but i cant see much restoration being done on them now...just look how nice they were in phils pic 1 post 24

lyn

Back