• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

On the diagonal corner to Dr Targets, there was a Distpensary and Dr Riechenfeld came there during the war. It was said that he escaped from Austria.with his family. I think we paid 4 Pence a month . he was an excellent Dr. My dad had Dr Hamilton. and he was very good..

Jean.

hi jean as i said i do remember dr targetts on the corner..my gt nan lived just a couple of doors up from it at 32 villa st..im sure it had a maroon coloured big glass window like you could not see in and the word surgery on it in big letters...

lyn

Our old Dr was Dr Hamilton in the 50s. It was on Summer Lane . There used to be a family who lived above the Surgery.
Thanks yes that makes sense,my mom and nan lived that way.their name was Hill.When they moved he still was,remember the sugery.not the family above.

Hi 170, in between the girls school and the annex.Our backed onto houses in CLifford street . Ours were demolished but the other side was not.another place we hung out was the Methodist church.

Hi 170, in between the girls school and the annex.Our backed onto houses in CLifford street . Ours were demolished but the other side was not.another place we hung out was the Methodist church.

hi linda yes i know where you mean there are still a few houses still standing on the other side and of course the church is still there on the corner...if you have any photos of around there would love to see them..

lyn

Re Dr Aberdeen
Only just joined so a bit slow on this thread. We were patients of Dr Aberdeen in the 40,s and 50,s and my Mum also cleaned for him. I remember the small dark waiting room and the very long consulting room overlooking the garden. He would struggle to get up the stairs to see my Granny. He diagnosed her with appendicitis, she went to hospital where they told my Mum it was inoperable cancer, she lived about another 10 years in good health - he was always right!

He was indeed a remarkable doctor, and to think he was an engineer before becoming a doctor. We were lucky to have such a good doctor

Anyone remember Dr Mcpartlin at Nechells in the early 70s,he was Irish and a lovely doc. :angel:

I do remember Dr McPartlin, (Great Lister Street, I think) - although we lived in Stechford, my mother (who was also Irish) insisted we use him, being the nearest Irish doctor).

I didn't come to Birmingham until '63 and I think my first official GP was Dr Mason but since it was a surgery with several doctors I could wind up with Dr Maher (I'm sure that's how it was spelt) or Dr Wand. I'm still with the same surgery but I rarely use it. I'm told it takes two weeks to get an appointment.

Hi,

When I lived in the Stechford area in the 1950's/early 60's,
our doctor was Dr. Segall in Victoria Road. He used to prescribe
Disprin for just about everything! I also remember
Dr Ozimek in Station Road, and Dr Artingstall in Wash Lane.

Kind regards

Dave
13.jpg

I remember Disprin but have not heard of them for years now.

Does anyone remember Dr Sankaraya, my apologies if the spelling is incorrect. His surgery was on Great Barr Street, between Montague Street and Derby Street. You went straight into reception from off the footpath with his consulting room immediately behind it. The surgery was so small that you could literally hear everything that was being said by both Dr and patient. Not sure that this would work nowadays with so much emphasis on Dr/patient confidentiality, but back in the 50s nobody seemed to bother. I think his children (boys) went to a posh school on the Bristol Road junction with Priory Road.

Does anyone remember Dr Sankaraya, my apologies if the spelling is incorrect. His surgery was on Great Barr Street, between Montague Street and Derby Street. You went straight into reception from off the footpath with his consulting room immediately behind it. The surgery was so small that you could literally hear everything that was being said by both Dr and patient. Not sure that this would work nowadays with so much emphasis on Dr/patient confidentiality, but back in the 50s nobody seemed to bother. I think his children (boys) went to a posh school on the Bristol Road junction with Priory Road.
My Aunt Win's Doctor was Dr Sankaraya, but she lived in Bordesley Green. Surely there wasn't two Doctors with a name like that!

May not be the right person but in 1959 there is a Dr Hebbalalu Sankarayya listed at 156 Orphanage Road. Also listed at 724 Coventry Road.

Last edited:
Dr Hebbalalu Sankarayya, rather gruff in manner,but an excellent Gp. Partnered with Dr Bose also Dr Bamford the trio had surgeries in Gt Barr Street, Cherrywood Rd and also on corner of Coventry Rd & Aubrey Rd Small Heath. My mother Gwyneth Evans was caretaker at Gt Barr St and then subsequently at Coventry Rd. Dr Sankarayya & family lived in Orphanage Rd and my father Ritchie tended to the garden at the weekend. Sons attended King Edward's School...and at least one ..Ashok..remains in the medical profession.Dr Bose was President of the then Bham Indian Assoc.

Last edited:
Dr H V Sankarayya, who had been in general practice
in Birmingham until 1985, died on 7 March 1989,aged 81.
Hebbalalu Velapnur Sankarayya-Sankar, as he
was known to friends and colleagues-graduated in
medicine from Mysore University in 1934. A brilliant
student, he was awarded the gold medal in surgery. He
came from an academic background, his father being
the first vice chancellor of that university. He came to
England in 1934 for postgraduate studies at The
London Hospital and held clinical assistantships at
other hospitals in London. At the outbreak of the war
he postponed his studies and worked in the east end of
London for a short while, but in 1940 he joined the
Royal Army Medical Corps and was commissioned as a
graded surgeon. For five years he saw active service in
the north African campaign, at the Salerno landings,
and at Monte Cassino. At the end of the war he entered
into partnership in a general practice in Birmingham;
he remained in that practice for 40 years.
In his youth Sankar had played tennis to a high level.
He enjoyed gardening and travelled widely. He loved
family life and is survived by his wife, to whom he had
been married for 60 years. He had three children, and
it gave him pleasure that a son, a daughter in law, and
two grandchildren were in the medical profession. -
NS.
[extract from : http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC1836397/pdf/bmj00229-0057.pdf]

Last edited:
Does anyone remember a Dr Sangster (H J Sangster I think). His surgery was on Gravelly Hill Erdington 1950's / 60's?

Back