• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fradley Junction

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
I had a great day at Fradley Junction today:) Thanks for the suggestion Lyn:)
The last photo, I asked Mrs Frothy to step back a bit but she wasn't having none of it:rolleyes:

evening froth...glad you all enjoyed yerselves...great place isnt it:) once again lovely pics... if you think of going again i can recommend the sunday carvery...pub opens 12 on the dot:)

lyn

evening froth...glad you all enjoyed yerselves...great place isnt it:) once again lovely pics... if you think of going again i can recommend the sunday carvery...pub opens 12 on the dot:)

lyn

Forgot to say, we had a meal in the Swan, I had a mixed grill, it was massive:taste

dare say you managed it froth:D...im still thinking of spending a couple of nights there on the caravan site plus youve got burton and lichfield close by...its under consideration:)

lyn

Another one arrived:)

SDC10269.jpg

another great pic froth..you see that low brick building just to the left..well when i was a kid (many moons ago) thats where the pigs were housed....now that was a it pongy.....:D:D

lyn

Smashing photo's Froth. Many a happy time spent there right from a youngster!

Great photos Frothy, my son took me for lunch on my 80th to the Mucky Duck as the locals call it, only problem its too popular and gets very crowded, cheers Bernard

Remember too that RAF Lichfield at Fradley was one of this countries most important airfileds during the war and was the most north westerley airfield to send bombers (Wellingtons) on the 1000 bomber raid to Cologne (Koln).

Fradley was the busiest WW2 airfield due to its geographical position and its large maintenance units that were said to have seen every type of aircraft that was in service during the war.

Fradley had more hangars than any other airfield in the UK.

The gatehouse still survives but all the runways have gone- a small part of the main westerly runway survives as a kart track

Memorials to flight crew killed at or around the airfield can be seen at Fradley Village church.(well worth a visit)

Most of the aircrew who trained on the Wellingtons were from the Austrailian Air Force.

All the testing for the Dunlop Dunova tyre was done on the main runways in the 70s(Dunlop paid for the runway to be resurfaced.

The gate house and associated site was used by Lucas Industries in the 70/80s

A satelite station for Fradley was built close by at Tatenhill but was later found that the runways were too short for Wellington training!

The Hangers were used as warehouses by J lucas for some time i worked there in the 60s-70s in stalling a conveyor system between them . although i never saw anything myself there were many sighting of ghost airmen in the hangers. Dek

A pilot walked into a rotating propellor during the war and his ghost was said to haunt the control tower which was demolished in the 80s. I visited the tower in 1976 and you could still just make out the wartime paper notice on the wall warning of the need to keep information secret!

I learnt to drive on the runways.. My Father worked for Dunlop and had access to the site.

Ian

Thursday at Fradley Junction, the group have some sort of education on canals

Attachments

• 5th March 2015 Thursday 0006.jpg
    5th March 2015 Thursday 0006.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 5th March 2015 Thursday 0017.jpg
    5th March 2015 Thursday 0017.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 5th March 2015 Thursday 0024.jpg
    5th March 2015 Thursday 0024.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 27