• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Rinso as mentioned in Pedrocut's post #462. I see that it was made by Hudson's soap. There was an ad for Hudson's soap on a wall in Bracebridge Street and Dad told me that when he was a little, around WW1, a baby died and they buried it in a Hudson's soap box because they couldn't afford a coffin. I wonder how many times this happened.

I may well have posted this comment before but it does seem to fit well here. Besides, I have been kicking my heels around here for a while now and am getting older :eek: so I guess it is already recorded.
I had a few favourite aunts - I guess they took me under their wings as no one else was around in some of my childhood to do so.
One who I visited often - well, it was not too many miles to visit her and my younger cousins - lived in Shirley, in a road off the Stratford Road. It was at the time when callers came and asked housewives (homemakers for our Stateside folks) which washing powder they were currently using. Come up with the correct carton and you received some sort of prize.
She was astute enough to keep all the well knows packs, with a small amount in each of the correct powder, whilst using her preferred one. So should she get a visit she had the pack to present to the caller. :D I don't believe she ever did get a winning call but she lived in hope.

I remember Rinso as mentioned in Pedrocut's post #462. I see that it was made by Hudson's soap. There was an ad for Hudson's soap on a wall in Bracebridge Street and Dad told me that when he was a little, around WW1, a baby died and they buried it in a Hudson's soap box because they couldn't afford a coffin. I wonder how many times this happened.

Sadly there are numerous accounts in the Press, at least from 1870 to 1920, of very young children left in Hudson's Soap Boxes. Sadly most had died and even murdered, but a good number abandoned, albeit, maybe placed in hope that they would be found.

index.php

That's from the London tube isn't it - the top one I mean?!!!
I have seen it on there.

I love the second one though!
Good job we have a sense of humour about ourselves :-D

wham.jpg Tram674CarrsLane 3-in-one-oil.jpg
3-in-one-oil.? Motor oil, cooking oil, & the third one for slicking down your unruly hair.? (for spivs only)

Ooh Stitcher! What's he doing in bed with his shirt and tie on, I ask myself. I notice that she's managed to put her earrings in and her lipstick on. That's where I've been going wrong all these years....

Hello Lady P. If life was really like that I now that half the population would be happy.

Bit worried about the design of the ties too - I'd have beaten a hasty retreat if my date had turned up with one of those. I wonder how many of our gentlemen wore one - answers on a postcard please! Your identity will not be revealed...

I think a better caption competition might be a good idea for that picture Stitcher and my contribution is:
"Darling, I know you're much shorter than me but we have to stop meeting like this".

Now here is a coincidence....From Wikipedia concerning PVH Co...

"Later Isaac Phillips met John Van Heusen, resulting both in their most popular line of shirts (Van Heusen) and in the subsequent renaming of the corporation to Phillips-Van Heusen in the 1950s.

In 2004, PVH began manufacturing clothing for the Donald J. Trump Signature Collection as part of a licensing agreement with Donald Trump."

My caption is "My dear, you're wearing such a smug expression I can't resist tipping this tray of hot surprises into your lap ....oooops sorry dear" Viv.

Bit worried about the design of the ties too - I'd have beaten a hasty retreat if my date had turned up with one of those. I wonder how many of our gentlemen wore one - answers on a postcard please! Your identity will not be revealed...

I think a better caption competition might be a good idea for that picture Stitcher and my contribution is:
"Darling, I know you're much shorter than me but we have to stop meeting like this".
At the time that this was printed which I would think was late fifties early sixties, ties were very popular and whilst the habit of an open neck shirt with a suit a la Branson is now the way to go, office workers and reps always had to wear a tie and for many years the tie had to be of a sober nature, it was only around 1960 that the brighter tie (I am ignoring those worn by Spivs and Flash Boys and also the 'teddy boys' four in hand) was acceptable and even then with restrictions. I still have at least 25 ties going back over the last thirty or so years and only since I am not on the road so often have I stopped wearing one every day. On the other hand wearing my training hat (and tie), I still believe that a smart shirt and tie give a salesman a much better look than the open neck shirt with the suit. Open neck with short sleeves in summer, acceptable, but then I am old fashioned and lately the only tie I seem to wear now is a black one. By the way how does he sleep on all those pillows?

Bob

While searching for my alter ego I found this advert from 1890 for an “alter ego shirt”, unfortunately they AG Lawson may have gone out of business in 1904....but nowadays you can get an “Under Armour Alter Ego Tee Shirt.”
IMG_2081.jpg

Yes, Bob the pillows would be a problem wouldn't they? I expect she's just fluffed them all up for him prior to breakfast.
As far as the wearing of a tie is concerned; I like to see a man in a tie - just not one like those in the picture! Ties seem to be making a comeback with youngsters together with suits and waistcoats. And very nice they look too.

Rinso. Slightly different take from Pedrocut's #462 in that Rinso is claimed to" save coal every wash day". Taken from a train on the Mid-Hants (Watercress) Line yesterday. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020937.JPG
    P1020937.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 16
This is a page copied from an American magazine, J.

Attachments

• Advertisement.jpg
    Advertisement.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 21
This photo originally posted by Astoness on the Rocky Lane thread shows an advert for a Birmingham Zoo at Cannon Hill Park. Is it still there? Viv.

image.jpeg

I was never a fan of chewing gum but here is an advert for Anglo-XL Chewing Gum, Halifax, in 1953. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020939 (2).JPG
    P1020939 (2).JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back