• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prefabs

Brings back a few memories oldMokawk! I was brought up in Knightsbridge Road, off Highwood Avenue, just off the top right corner of your picture. Each walkway through the prefabs was named after a flower or shrub and were in alphabetical order starting, if I remember correctly, with Azalea Lane (I think it was Lane!) the only other one I can remember is Nepeta (Lane). I wonder if there's a map or list of the other names. I remember that on a still day, for some reason the smoke from the chimneys didn't go up into the air but ran down along the roof and into the footpaths or gardens. I don't know if that was the same with all prefabs.
There seems to be very little information about this large estate of prefabs. I can't even seem to find a date when they were demolished.
A Google Earth view 1945
Capture1945.JPG
Today's view.
Capturenow.JPG

Hi all. If nobody objects I shall drop a line to the prefabmuseum and refer them to this thread as I'm sure they'll be interested in the comments on here. I shall also ask them if you just turn up to the September events or if you need tickets. Shall report back. Viv.

Update: I have now emailed the prefab museum. Viv.

Last edited:
I didn't know that they built pre-fabs on this sort of estate. I had always assumed that they only built them on the edges of parkland. Another thing I've learned from this site.

I can't even seem to find a date when they were demolished.

The ones I have marked in Blue were certainly still there in the early 60's (a friend lived in one for a while) although I have a feeling many of the others were demolished earlier. The buildings marked in Red were prefab shops fronting Lode Lane, Castle Lane & Faulkner Road. They were as far as I remember Nissen Huts with the front wall converted to a shop front. There was a chemist (Donnai), a hardware store, a greengrocers and several others. They were demolished long before the prefab houses when the Hobs Moat shops were built.

Capture1945.JPG

Last edited:
OldMohawk, Rodney road is a massive site. I lived in one of ten in Umberslade road Selly Oak. It was a very small friendly community. Happy days ( probably because I wasn't paying the bills) G

Hi Grea, a 1945 aerial view of Umberslade Road shows what looks like a small group of prefabs, just left and down from the road name.
Maybe your prefab is there, I think I can count 10.
oldmohawk
Uprefabs.JPG

OldMohawk many thanks. I lived in the back row, last but one on the right. The triangle piece of land at the rear of the prefabs was a coal pile that was higher than the prefab itself. It was used to power up cadburys. Thanks again G

Use to have a work mate who lived in one of the prefabs in Umberslade Road, they where cracking homes, a little cold in winter though.

For those planning to go along to the September event mentioned in post #192 I've had the following advice from the Prefab Museum:

"This year we are not ticketing the open weekend but would appreciate if you could let your members know, if they intend to come along, to contact Vicki Cox [email protected] to give her an idea of numbers. If you could also mention that there may be some queuing and waiting we would be grateful".

Viv.

I have to say that some of the prefabs in Wake Green Road look at bit sad - in need of paint and gardens overgrown. Some are still lovely and cared for. Hope they do a tidy up.

I have to say that some of the prefabs in Wake Green Road look at bit sad - in need of paint and gardens overgrown. Some are still lovely and cared for. Hope they do a tidy up.
Hi, I'm Jane from the Prefab Museum. We are working with Birmingham Conservation Trust and 20th Century Society West Midlands on a conservation plan for the Wake Green Road prefabs. When the group of 16 were listed Grade II in 1998 repairs were made to the roofs which unfortunately made the problem worse. As tenants complained, they were offered alternative accommodation so some of the prefabs have been vacant for some time - one for nine years - hence their rather sad appearance.

Historic England has commissioned us to find out what local people think about them and what they would like to see. If anyone is interested in contributing to this consultation please email [email protected] or come along to the open weekend. There may come a 'tipping point' where the prefabs become an eyesore, so time is of the essence! Many thanks and look forward to seeing some of you at the open weekend.

For those planning to go along to the September event mentioned in post #192 I've had the following advice from the Prefab Museum:

"This year we are not ticketing the open weekend but would appreciate if you could let your members know, if they intend to come along, to contact Vicki Cox [email protected] to give her an idea of numbers. If you could also mention that there may be some queuing and waiting we would be grateful".

Viv.
Thank you Viv!

Hi, I'm Jane from the Prefab Museum. We are working with Birmingham Conservation Trust and 20th Century Society West Midlands on a conservation plan for the Wake Green Road prefabs. When the group of 16 were listed Grade II in 1998 repairs were made to the roofs which unfortunately made the problem worse. As tenants complained, they were offered alternative accommodation so some of the prefabs have been vacant for some time - one for nine years - hence their rather sad appearance.

Historic England has commissioned us to find out what local people think about them and what they would like to see. If anyone is interested in contributing to this consultation please email [email protected] or come along to the open weekend. There may come a 'tipping point' where the prefabs become an eyesore, so time is of the essence! Many thanks and look forward to seeing some of you at the open weekend.

Having lived in one of the Wake Green Road prefabs for 25 years, of course I have feelings towards them. However, bearing in mind their current state and the possible high cost of keeping them in a liveable condition, I call into question the relative worth of doing so.

What's important however is to preserve one of it's type in a more sympathetic setting and maybe the current location isn't right.

There's a story to tell about these prefabs -

Where did the people come from who were initially housed in them? We were from all over Birmingham and these were of course council houses and the people in the private houses opposite perhaps were not too pleased about that. It spoit their view as well.

Who assembled the prefabs? I'm not sure but I know that German POW's (retained after WW2) laid the paving stones outside.

Were there many children living in the prefabs? Yes, I can recall at least eight. Remember of course that they were only two bedroomed so some families move out when their families grew in size. As time progressed many older people moved in.

Was there a community spirit amongst the prefab people? Definately so. I recall sharing basic food items like sugar and tea with other families. It was just after the war of course and rationing was still in place. One of our neighbours bought a radio that could receive Radio Luxembourg - what a joy! We'd go and spend an evening listening to it. No one had a TV until well into the 50's. Phones? Never!

I remember that we had a red box outside the end prefab (No 427) which was linked into the fire brigade. I can't recall it ever being used.

I'm still in touch with three other residents, one lives in Redditch, one in Bromsgrove and the other in Canada!

Although prefabs were meant to be a quick fix to the 1940s housing need, there were problems in getting prefab sites ready. Birmingham Mail reported on the problems faced by contractors in finding labourers.

Didn't know prefabs were built on slabs - these were the only foundations ! Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 15
Sorry - just realised it is the Wake Green Road ones which are there. Yardley Wood went a while ago but some of the bushes from their gardens remain.

Back