• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bell, Steelhouse Lane

carolina

master brummie
I have researched today some more information for my family tree Taylor. Could someone have a read and explain to me exactly what it is saying. Thanks Abel and Thomas Taylor Steelhouse Lane.JPG Abel and thomas taylor steelhouse lane 2.JPG

Confusing Carolina. If we could unravel the info it would help you as well as giving us a nice glimpse of the history of Steelhouse Lane.

I assume the pub, The Bell (and later the Kings Arms ?), must have been on the corner of Steelhouse Lane (112-114) and Whittall Street (41-42) and on the site of what became the General Hospital. Maybe Mike could enlighten us via a map please?

It says that in the 1840s the premises were part of a large plot with 4 dwellings and outbuildings (2 had been built by 1807 and 2 more were added between 1810-1832).

Regarding the many people referred to, all I can say is there are several interests from brewers and maltsters. (Does this refer to a succession of owners ? And are these dating from the early days of the pub, through to pre-General Hospital. Or are they simply occupants of the various dwellings on the wider plot?) Can anyone enlighten us?

Viv.

I think you need to access the actual documents to really understand what is there, Below is an insurance map of 1889 , showing a public house on the eastern side of the junction of Whittall St and Steelhouse lane. the 1890 Kellies lists this as the Kings Arms,40 Whittall St, landlord. John Fielding. the pun disappeared from the directories between 1915 & 1921, before the General hospital expansion flattened that part of the street. The cutting show the closure was in 1918. The reason for the closure (despite the confusing headline on the cutting) was claimed redundancy, there being no need for so many pubs in central Birmingham

Insurance map of 1889 showing corner steelhouse lane and whittall St.jpg Birm Gazete.20.9.1918.jpg

A useful map Mike, thanks. According to the 1889 insurance map the Bell was a different pub to the Kings Arms. The Bell was at 112 Steelhouse Lane. The Kings Arms must have been where 606 is marked on the map and reached as far back as 41 and 42 Whittall St. So two entirely different pubs. The compensation for the Kings Arms seems very disproportionate. Must be a good reason for that. The registered owners were apparently the hospital trustees.

I agree with Mike. The best way to get an understanding would be to look into the actual documents. Viv.

Thomas died in 1839 (there is obviously a mistake on the first one stating 1939 and it should be 1839) and Abel 1853. I suppose to should try and find Thomas' will.

Back