• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

post 260..so time capsules are not a new idea then...fascinating to think one was buried under the stone that was laid..wonder if it was found when the new church was built and if so where is it now..it would be lovely to think that it was rescued along with its contents and placed somewhere safe but i very much doubt it:(

lyn

Report of birmingham Athletic club meeting. I think I observe a hint of sarcasm in the report.
One hears of victorian working hours being very long, but this apparently did not apply to government office staff.
Fir in grocers at corner of Wheeler St & Bridge St.

birmingham athletic club meeting.jpg excise office hours.jpg fire at grocers corner wheeler and bridge st.jpg

Support for female railway carriages, a protection against "monsters in disguise of a gentleman"
In the case here the guy would have been quicker (at that time, with multi-deliveries a day) to send a letter#

follow up to ladies carriages.jpg quicker by letter.jpg

Alfred Bird was not just interested in custard and baking powders, and fireworks, but also in lightening.

observations of lightening by alfred Bird on night 19.8.1867.jpg

This notice must surely have meant, with the phrase "by previous bleeding", that kosher & halal butchers would be liable to a fine

RSPCA notice.jpg

Accident at Patent Tube Co. shows there is some point for health and safety regulations.

accident at patent tube manufactory heneage st.jpg

That is so disgusting Mike - ugh.
Imagine the poor men having to work there too, what would they be boiling the flesh for?

Probably for glue. Apparently it contains callogen. Agree it all sounds very disgusting. Viv.

Not certain whether by horseflesh they meant flesh or bones/tendons etc. Nowadays it is not done (in the uk at least), but glue used to be made by boiling up animal bones and tendons, which would presumably have some flesh attached., which might include that of horses. Gelatine is still made in this way, though for gelatine only very clean "high quality" bones are used as it has to be as odourless as possible. For gluemaking all the really rancid, nasty bits were boiled. I can speak from personal experience that the odour of a glue factory was really obnoxious, even in the 1960s, as I once went for over a gelatine factory and a glue factory. Incidentally fish glues smell even worse. If the factory concerned was boiling actual flesh, rather than bones and rubbish, then i can anly assume it was for manufacture of animal food, or possibly fertilizer.

Pedrocut's cutting reinforces my comment in post 278, that there is a good reason for health and safety today. I cannot imagine today anyone with one leg and a crutch even considering doing what this chap tried to do

For information....Lord Street is described as “not a very promising neighbourhood to look upon, nor one whose general appearance would lead anyone to suspect it of a high state of salubrious. It is one of a network of thoroughfares, lying at the back of Dartmouth Street...”

Mr Plant lived somewhere in the neighborhood of Highgate.

Apparently in 1867 you were locked into your train carriage and prosecuted if you managed to unlock the door yourself.
So it is not just today that people object to "tidying" and regimentation of churchyards and the laying flat of gravestones.

keys for railway carriages.jpg tidying st philips churchyard.jpg

Most sources agree that gelatin is a protein made by boiling animal skins, bones and flesh. When young we were told that it came from boiling horses hooves, but this appears to be incorrect as the protein in horses' hooves is apparently the wrong sort of protein. When we had jelly for tea, my older boys told the two young children the horses' hooves story, knowing that they wouldn't eat the jelly and there would be more for them! :)

My uncle Garibaldi Sedgwick said that similar noxious smells came from the family's currier business and as soon as he was old enough he went into gunmaking.

Maurice

Hi Maurice, forgive me being flippant but when I read your post I couldn't help thinking how great it was to have someone in the family named after a famous biscuit.
Cheers Tim

Storm in Birmingham causes floods and damage.
This reminds us how lucky we are for tooth removal today. in 1967 it could obviously be a painful experience.

ether used by dentists.jpg storm in birmingham.jpg

Big fire in woodyard in Broad St.
Fire in lamp room at snow Hill Station
Accident of floating raft on Soho Pool. I am having some difficulty in visualising the raft with dancers on it
Maybe "homicide " had a somewhat different meaning in 1867 to now, though the Post obviously were surprised by the findings

fire at woodyard in Broad St.jpg accident on floating raft on Soho Pool.jpg fire at snow hill station.jpg justifiable homicide.jpg

Tim,

I'm at a bit of a loss to know why my Uncle Gal (1862-1955) was named Garibaldi Sedgwick as there is no Italian blood in the family. However, the year before his birth in Aston, Peak Freans created the well known fruity biscuit in London, presumably in honour of the Italian general, who was responsible for uniting Italy. Apparently the general was popular in England and made a visit to South Shields in 1854 - perhaps he enjoyed the market, where I bought an anorak in 2001 for a knock down price! :) :) :) I only got rid of that anorak last year so it lasted well for 15 quid! But Uncle Gal looked nothing like General Guiseppe Garibaldi below, who incidentally was actually born in Nice, another famous biscuit! :) :) :)

Maurice

Attachments

• Guiseppe_Garibaldi.jpg
    Guiseppe_Garibaldi.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4
When I was a lad we went to Great Yarmouth on a few occasions as our near neighbours had moved there. I used to sit on a wall outside a pub called the Garibaldi, with pop and crisps, the name always fascinated me.

If you go to the link for Google Books and the “Secret Meaning of Pub names” and scroll up a few pages to Garibaldi you can read a fascinating account of the chap.

“A 19C Che Guevara...In 1854 he sailed into Tyneside...by mixing with the working classes rather than hobnobbing he enhanced his reputation in the eyes of the public...to Victorian Britain he seemed like a latter-day Robin Hood...When he left Queen Victoria declared “Garibaldi, thank God, has gone.”

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...QEwBw#v=onepage&q=pub names garibaldi&f=false

Pedro,

The link won't let me scroll anywhere, but he was also instrumental in getting independence for Uruguay and spent many years exiled in South America. I've no idea what the political beliefs of Uncle Gal's parents were, but as self-employed curriers in various back streets in Aston - with the horrendous smell I'm sure the neighbours regularly attempted to have them moved on! - Guiseppe Garibaldi could have quite easily have been a hero of theirs!

Maurice

Had not realised that at one time one carat gold could be legally called gold.

one carat gold can be sold.jpg

Back