• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm looking for a shop at 140, Bloomsbury Street, possibly run by William and/or Lavinia Price in the fifties. I don't know when the street was "modernised". Any info would be good, thanks.

Hi Maggieanne

The last entry in the trade directories for 140 Bloomsbury Street is in 1940 and is W K Price Greengrocer. 140 was at the Duddeston End of Bloomsbury Street and that end right up to Great Lister Street was the first end to be demolished and demolition work began in 1950.

Hi Maggieanne

The last entry in the trade directories for 140 Bloomsbury Street is in 1940 and is W K Price Greengrocer. 140 was at the Duddeston End of Bloomsbury Street and that end right up to Great Lister Street was the first end to be demolished and demolition work began in 1950.
Thanks Phil, I knew I could rely on this site for info. I believe he was my uncle, and I'm sure I visited the shop in the fifties but of course, there is no-one in the family that I can ask now. At least that is another piece in the jigsaw of family history. Great site isn't it!

Maggieanne

Of course it's a great site, it's because it has good members and is staffed by good people who's aim is to help people like yourself find out those elusive facts about Birmingham and it's history. If you need to know more never be afraid to ask.

A question for some of the older residents of Nechells, Duddeston or Saltley in the 50s. This photo of the maisonettes being built on what is now called Little Hall Rd displays in the centre background a tower that is highly reminiscent of a pit shaft lift cable winding rig minus the wheel. It looks to be in Devon Street or even the Crawford Street section of the Gas Works I suppose it could be a water tower but they were usually of a more permanent type structure.
Just came across this post and looking at the photo of the flats being built i noticed the question being asked was what could the structure be in the background well when i was working at the gas boards regional transport depot in duddeston mill road their new garage was built on the old gas works site and there was still alot of the old gas plant there and one of the structures was an old over head crane that possibly serve the railway sidings that were there one time it was quite a high sructure , could it be this
phill

Phillbee

I am open to any suggestion as to what it might be. back when I first posted it I racked my brains and so did a few others to no avail at least none that could be proven. Your suggestion according to contemporary maps is in the right place and can be moved thus explaining why it can't be seen in all photos is as good as any we have had up to now. So lets put it in the grade of distinct possibilities until someone can come up with irrefutable proof. Possibly a better image where it can be made out exactly what we are looking at.

Just came across this post and looking at the photo of the flats being built i noticed the question being asked was what could the structure be in the background well when i was working at the gas boards regional transport depot in duddeston mill road their new garage was built on the old gas works site and there was still alot of the old gas plant there and one of the structures was an old over head crane that possibly serve the railway sidings that were there one time it was quite a high sructure , could it be this
phill
Was this the structure which could be seen from Devon Street it was used for loading coal and coke in making also it would have been for the movement of Tar in the works.
The smell used to floor you if you was not from the area, locals used to sit on the front door step and take it in, I've heard said that the local never had nastey bugs I not surprize if it was true

Ray

Unless someone comes up with a better photo where the structure can be seen clearly I'm afraid this is a question that may never be solved to complete satisfaction, though I thought the mobile crane theory the best so far.

this great thread started by GER22VAN (ernie) has now been moved to this section of the forum it was a tad tucked away under the childhood memories section

lyn

Last edited:
A question for some of the older residents of Nechells, Duddeston or Saltley in the 50s. This photo of the maisonettes being built on what is now called Little Hall Rd displays in the centre background a tower that is highly reminiscent of a pit shaft lift cable winding rig minus the wheel. It looks to be in Devon Street or even the Crawford Street section of the Gas Works I suppose it could be a water tower but they were usually of a more permanent type structure.

phill

I think I am answering my own question here, by confirming the suggestion given by philbee, this latest photo gives a view of the overhead crane that is not looking straight side on. Looking at it from the side would give the view that we see in my original post. If I'm wrong it's still a good over the roofs of the new build (gone now) maisonettes on Great Francis Street (Little Hall Road).

Nechells Great Francis Street 1954.JPG

The travelling crane s featured n one of the pics here, but it is not the structure (as far as I gather) under discussion.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/gallery/the-gas-works-in-birmingham-8571736
The following photo was on Bill Dargues web site with acknowledgements with JKC of this Forum I believe. This is the structure in question. My initial belief was it might be railway connected rather than gasworks. The whole area of gas works Nechells and Saltley is interwoven with a tremendous network of railway lines some of which belonged to
image.jpg

I wonder if anyone can help me. I remember travelling on the number 14 bus into town, on the left hand side was a church with a graveyard which has now gone, and also some single storey shops, on the right hand side, and I think there was a chemist shop there. I remember we got off the bus one day to buy troach drops (do you remember those) and some humbugs I think. I can't find any photos anywhere, I think these building were before you reached the library that was, and I believe still is, on the right.

maggieanne

It sounds to me as of you are talking about St Matthews at the corner of Great Lister Street & Willis Street. This is a photo of the church anther shops on the other side of the road.

St Matthews.jpg Nechells Great Lister Street 1960 (2).jpg

maggieanne

It sounds to me as of you are talking about St Matthews at the corner of Great Lister Street & Willis Street. This is a photo of the church anther shops on the other side of the road.

View attachment 119073 View attachment 119074
Thanks Phil, the shops I remember, I'm sure were single storey, with corrugated iron roofs, trouble is, I'm going back to the early sixties, memories aren't always correct. That may be the church, my view of it was always from the bus. I don't know where the shops were in relation to the church, may have been some distance away.

A corrugated iron roof could suggest a church hall. Many throughout the country were like that, as were many village halls. Small chapels, lovingly known a tin tabernacles, were also of that style construction.

maggieanne

What you are probably remembering, is that a couple of years before they were demolished some of the shops on Great Lister Street had their upper floors removed leaving only the shop premises below. If they were the ones on the photo then being flat roofed I doubt they were corrugated metal. The shops remained like this until they were all demolished well before the mid 60's. This image is dated 1960.

Nechells Great Lister St 1960 x .jpg

maggieanne

What you are probably remembering, is that a couple of years before they were demolished some of the shops on Great Lister Street had their upper floors removed leaving only the shop premises below. If they were the ones on the photo then being flat roofed I doubt they were corrugated metal. The shops remained like this until they were all demolished well before the mid 60's. This image is dated 1960.

View attachment 119096
Ah, that's more like it, they may be the shops I remember, thanks Phil.

maggieanne

View attachment 119096
Phil, remember those shops very well, used to buy coconut icing from the sweet shop.

John

I remember them well also, only my memories consist of trudging down there a on a Saturday carrying my mothers heavy bags of shopping. Looking back now I think they must have been full of potatoes because we could afford little else. John we don't hear from you enough of late.

Back