• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Central Fire Station Hq

Had my very first shout with Arthur on blue watch A1 to chimney fire,Arthur never swore he would always say flopping or flipping good fireman,learnt a lot from him.Bernie Blagg. Comment from Birmingham Fire by a Fireman who served with Arthur.

Radiorails info on TL by courtesy of Keith Stanton Birminham Fire.

TL(s) Info -- Dennis (Chassis) - Lancet (Body) – Meadows 9.5L (Petrol Engine) + Merryweather (100Ft Ladder Set) Choice of 3 in Birmingham Fire Brigade - Fleet #50 FVP 605 - Aston 1941/65 1955 Minor Collision with the Co-op at Witton Island - Rebuilt. Fleet # unknown GXA 92 - Stechford 1943/46 - Central 46/56 - Grimsby CB 1956/68. Fleet # 127 GXA 99 - Moseley Rd - 1946 + Central 1958 - Now Preserved.

Thank you Aggie for the info and pass the thanks on to Mr. Stanton if you are able. I have a feeling that I have seen a photo of this vehicle as you mention it being preserved. The info suggests the FVP was an initial Birmingham purchase and the two GXA London registered were WW2 era, possibly former NFS vehicles, finding a home in Birmingham. Maybe replacing older war worn vehicles.

Back in the late 50s as a boy I was in St john Ambulance Brigade, like the scouts you were invited to take proficiency tests , after which you got a badge for your shirt . One which I took was the fire fighting course at the central fire station , we sat in a classroom listening to all the tech side of things went out in the yard up the practice tower , I'll always remember one Friday evening we were learning about the hoses and the stand pipes and the stand pipe keys , we were asked if we wanted a turn at the hose ? Quick as anything I stuck my hand up , you first had to connect the male and female coupling(spout to the hose), well yours truly hadn't connected it properly cross threaded I suppose. I shouted for the water to be turned on well it came on alright , it didn't come the end of the spout it came out at the connection, well I was absolutely drenched. After the practical I had to sit for the rest of the lesson in wet jeans jumper and shirt,
needless to say when watering the garden nowadays I'm very wary

hi williamstreeter was the practice tower a little way down from the fire station on the right heading towards newtown row

lyn

hi williamstreeter was the practice tower a little way down from the fire station on the right heading towards newtown row

lyn
The Training Tower was (is) in the middle of the Old Central Fire Station (Now student accommodation)
view of training tower taken 15th september 2008.jpg

What! The training tower is student accommodation. It doesn't look very inviting. Quirky yes, inviting no.
Are you sure Two? There not that desperate for accommodation are they.

What! The training tower is student accommodation. It doesn't look very inviting. Quirky yes, inviting no.
Are you sure Two? There not that desperate for accommodation are they.

Elmdon Boy - The whole building including the Training Tower has been converted into Student Accommodation.
Also a new 6 storey building has been in the centre of old Fire Station Drill Yard.
(I was invited to the opening event and took a few photos).
IMG_1145.JPG Central  (2).jpg

lyn

Lyn looking at the station from the front entrance the shape appears triangular , from memory the practice tower was to the right at the far end of the triangle, it's where they used to act out rescuing people from upstairs rooms in houses .I also think they may have lit the occasional fire and rescued the residents. Although my parents separated when I was very young , my mother told me my Father was in the fire service during the war , these were some of the penalties of the time, not being properly dressed on boarding the tender you were fined , not being ready for muster , you were fined . I wonder if its the same nowadays , I know that during the 70's a company I worked for employed several firemen on their days off , I'm sure they nearly all had part time jobs . I know one that worked at the same place as me went over to Germany and brought back a brand new BMW motorbike

Firemen Tozer and Tozer, father and son. Son showing dad the wonders of new technology in 1930. Viv.

image.jpeg

yes viv and somewhere in the back of my mind i am sure it was a tozer who attended a very bad air raid poss the air raid shelter at barker st where everyone in it lost their lives...when i have time i will see if i can find any ref to it..mind you i could have been dreaming that lol

lyn

Hi everyone. Have just found this site and oh what memories! I think I was about one or two years of age when my mom and dad moved into Central (1948/9) and stayed there until I was 15 when we moved to a Fire Brigade house at Perry Common. We lived on the top floor of the balconies in Flat 38. My dad of course was the fireman, no female fire fighters then! Our next door neighbour was Mr and Mrs Joyes and they had two children Christine and David who became mine and my brother Dereck's best friends. Unfortunately, they moved to Mrs Joyes' home in Nice, France and we lost touch. I have many happy memories of growing up on the fire station.

Pat
Hi Pat, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this message... it was written about two years ago and I don't know if mine will be passed on to you! I'd love to have news and talk about old times!! David is still around and lives not too far away, how is Dereck? I too have happy memories of the fire station, especially turning on the big wooden wheels which we were not allowed to do. Hope to hear from you....

Back