• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Galloways Corner

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This was a once at the top of New Street opposite the old GPO building. And what a grand row of shops and offices these were curling around the end of New Street. Must have been a 4 or even 5 storey building.

But sadly all this was demolished in 1970. Never fully understood the need to demolish the buildings. I remember the Lyons shop, just visible to the left of the demolition photo. Remember sitting in there with my mum looking out at a very grimy Queen Victoria. Viv.

Galloways Corner in 1908
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Another great sigh Viv! On a different thread I was trying to decide what it was that is is missing from our city. I came up with 'character' but I also think style is missing now. Why did they demolish the Society of Artists building and move it to Brook Street? We lost that lovely portico. Was it about cash? It seemed a much better location in New Street and people would just pop in to the exhibitions. You have to make a real effort to get to it now.

Attachments

• Birmingham_-_RBSA_New_Street.jpg
    Birmingham_-_RBSA_New_Street.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 28
i agree with you pen...lets face it todays architects (if you can call them that) dont have to think too hard to earn their money do they..in my humble opinion a child at school could design whats going up these days.my son in law is an american architect and from time to time i show him some of the wonderful buildings this city has had demolished..he just shakes his head at the brilliant time consuming designs we have lost and like many of us on here says...once they are gone they are gone forever..that statement from one who understands says it all to me..

lyn

Last edited:
i agree with you pen...lets face it todays architects (if you can call them that) dont have to think too hard to earn their money do they..in my humble opinion a child at school could design whats going up these days.my son in law is an american architect and from time to time i show him some of the wonderful buildings this city has had demolished..he just shakes his head at the brilliant time consuming designs we have lost and like many of us on here says...once they are gone they are gone forever..that statement from one who understands says it all to me..

lyn
I agree with everyone who deplores the seeming destruction as well loved Victorian/Edwardian buildings are torn down and replaced by concrete, steel and glass monstrosities deemed as Modern Architecture. One of the problems is that older buildings having served their purpose for many years obtain new owners and need to be updated, but in reality they are not fit for purpose, do not meet current building, health and safety, fire and countless other regs. Throw into this the fact that some well meaning individual then decides to get the building listed to save it and any costs are doubled/tripled/quadrupled, because all replacement parts must be of the same design, material and colour as what it is being hoped to replace and this means special materials and building techniques etc. Even where there was a factory area attached the costs of bringing it to21st Century standards are often prohibitive and strangely enough it is cheaper to demolish and rebuild with steel framed concrete/plastic/glass clad exterior rather than try to convert a fine piece of Victorian Architecture for 21st Century usage. But one of the major reasons for demolition is Asbestos content, remember that until recently unknown to suppliers/users and those who worked there the asbestos used in the building industry was very toxic and demolition where there is asbestos identified, needs a highly qualified and trained staff. The basic course is a two day course and costs about £K1 for 6 operatives. This is followed by ancient electrics and lead based plumbing. As for modern architecture, every 21st century seems himself as a successor to Foster, Rogers or Piano, or thinks in terms of following the greats: Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, Van der Rohe, Kahn Gaudi, Gropius and Aalto. Ironically enough just as we firstly criticise the works of the current greats when we first see them and then afterwards hail them as masterpieces, works of art, signs of genius etc, so those long dead greats were first of all criticised If the Guggenheim Museum from New York popped up in Soho Road would the reaction be one of wonder and awe at the cleverness and simplicity of the design or shock and horror that it happened. Initially I have no doubt the latter, but in time these things grow on people, remember the Rotunda and the outcry there was when that was first planned? The problem is that in the UK we have not successfully learned to marry the new with the old. In the capitals of the continent, Asia and the New World they have, Gaudi lives with modernism in Barcelona and the Guggenheim looks fine on Fifth Avenue, New York. Yes I mourn the passing of the old fine looking buildings that councils seem to tear down willy nilly, but I also miss the old Birmingham and Midland Red buses, the GWR at Snow Hill....but did they not do a wonderful job at Moor Stree?
Bob Davis

Additionally Bob there was less public support to save old buildings when many of Brum's buildings were being demolished in the mid 20th century. Popular thinking was to look ahead rather than backwards. I expect all the factors you mention added to the ease of getting rid of certain buildings, especially if the costs of upgrading outweighed the benefits.

"Galloways Corner" seems to have been informally acquired as a name for this point of New Street/Victoria Square - I don't think I've seen it on any maps. Assume the name came from the photographic company that occupied that corner.

First image from Grace's Guide, the second 1948 image from Britain from Above. I wondered if the 1948 images shows a traffic island having just been installed? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Actually, havng just zoomed in on the 1948 photo, it says "Camera Corner" on the building just at the point it turns into New Street. Viv.

One of my favourite forum pics of Galloways Corner
index.php

image only visible if logged in
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/camera-photographic-shops.43106/#post-511419

and another one I like
index.php

Last edited:
Actually, havng just zoomed in on the 1948 photo, it says "Camera Corner" on the building just at the point it turns into New Street. Viv.

I remember that Galloways used to have a large ledger under the counter and if you wanted to get rid of a wart you put your name in the book and quite soon after the wart usually disappeared

Hi Pat
just read your thread on galloway , and the mention of the ledger getting rid of warts ,not heard that before
But on that note i can tell you how to get rid of warts, and that is to get a spud and cut it into two halfs
and rub it over the wart for two or three days and it will disapear permantly

In the late 1800s the lower level of the building (or a large part of the lower level) was occupied by Walkover Shoes. Looking at the first photo on this thread it seems the Walkover Shoe Co Ltd premises extended around the building onto New Street.

image.jpeg

In the 1920s this Remembrance service was held in front of the building. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hi Lyn, I think to completely fill the street and dance makes it look like VE celebrations to me and lots of men would still in the forces. I can see at least two women in military uniforms. With regard to end of rationing, sometime after the war I remember seeing my first banana, a relative had just one and I was allowed a ¼ inch slice from it ... I've liked bananas ever since. :)
Phil

ahh bless you and the banana phil:D joking aside rationing must have been pretty tough on families.

lyn

Radiorails, straying a little off topic but I think you're right. Looking at some of things people ate there was much less fat and sugar and not much meat either. The National Loaf was very much like the bread that many people are eating today. On one Foyle's War programme they said there was a shortage of onions and I think this would have caused me problems.

Hi Lyn, I think to completely fill the street and dance makes it look like VE celebrations to me and lots of men would still in the forces. I can see at least two women in military uniforms. With regard to end of rationing, sometime after the war I remember seeing my first banana, a relative had just one and I was allowed a ¼ inch slice from it ... I've liked bananas ever since. :)
Phil

OldMohawk - I remember just after the war queuing for bananas - the first I had even seen- at the green grocers called Poultons on Stratford Road facing Formans Road - we were allowed three each - I thought they were wonderful! Still love them!

Back