• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Famous catch phrases.

If there was one so-called 'comedian' I could not stick it was Arthur Askey.....my dad thought he was fantastic, and there was always a row in our house when Askey came on the box and there was a scramble to leave the room, as my mother and brother couldn't stand him either.

G

"...av you beeen?" (Hylda Baker, Nearest & Dearest)

"You stupid womaaaan,......" - Rene

"..titter ye not.. " - Frankie Howerd

"woe, woe and thrice woe" - Senna the Soothsayer (Jeanne Mockford)

"Up to my neck in muck and bullets." Arthur Haynes

"Make it so" Jean-Luc Picard/ Patrick Stewart

If there was one so-called 'comedian' I could not stick it was Arthur Askey.....my dad thought he was fantastic, and there was always a row in our house when Askey came on the box and there was a scramble to leave the room, as my mother and brother couldn't stand him either.

G
Didn`t like Arthur Askey or Tommy Trinder, whose catchphrase was "you lucky people" Hard to believe they were the most highly paid entertainers of their day. They would both get a definite no form Simon Cowell.

Only the other week the teenage son of a friend of mine came out with "Aye, aye! That's yer lot!", the catchphrase of another duff comic from the post-war years called Jimmy Wheeler. He was mostly on the wireless, as I remember. When I asked the lad where he got that from, he said his grand-dad used it frequently, but I suspect even his grand-dad had no idea of its origin. To be honest, if it wasn't for their catch-phrases, I reckon most of those old-time comics would have been forgotten years ago. My mother always had "Workers' Playtime" on the wireless when I came home from school for lunch, and even then I thought that most of the performers were excruciatingly bad....but I'm just an old grump!

G

Ah, well, now Kenneth Williams was genuinely funny, if perhaps an acquired taste for some. I well remember that my dad listened regularly to 'Round The Horne', without really grasping the true meaning of the Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick characters Julian and Sandy. For its day, writing comedy sketches in which the two main characters were gay men was incredibly daring, and I believe that Mrs Whitehouse complained about them to the Beeb.

Totally off-thread (apologies) but Kenneth Horne was a director of Triplex Safety Glass Ltd at Kings Norton, where I worked in the early 1970's. He visited once and I saw him from afar - a huge man and a huge wit, too.

G

Does anyone remember the Bill Fraser/Alfie Bass follow up to the army game, it was called Bootsie and Snudge.

Bill Fraser played the part of Claude Snudge (ex Sergeant Major) and the series was set in a gentlemans club.

When about to leave one of the patrons Snudge would say 'err um well i'll be leaving you now' looking for a tip.

There was a catch-phrase "Oh, get in there Morton". I think it may have been in the radio programme "Educating Archie" with Peter Brough. Not sure what it means. Dave.

That was an entertainer called Robert Morton who was indeed on "Educating Archie". He read quite stylish and often very funny ditties from his "Bumper Fun Book" - I've actually done a couple of them myself (quite a few are on the net) at music clubs when I (and the audience) got fed up with my singing. He sounded a bit like Derek Nimmo, I always thought. When he got a good laugh he'd stop reciting and say "Oh, get in there, Morton!" I quite liked him. Thinking about it, I have a vague memory that he committed suicide. The other better-known entertainer who did a similar act was Cyril Fletcher, who survived into TV when he was on The Esther Rantzen Show. Another funny bloke, I thought....and it takes a lot to make me even smile.....

G

not sure is this one has been on before..

hilda baker to walter..."have you been ?"

ITMA has been mentioned but I don't recall these:

Funf (the German spy - funf meaning five) "This is Funk speaking" This was intended to belittle the German transmissions of Lord Haw Haw who said "This is Germany calling. (pronounced by him as Jarmany)

The famous Col. Chinstrap (a heavy drinker) who said "I don't mind if I do".

All of these from Claude Jeremiah Greengrass in Heartbeat:

"You've more chance of knitting fog"
"You must think I came up the river on a biscuit"
" And pigs might......"
"Can a duck....."
"You don't half take chances"
"Come into my office"

So many sayings from one character...

Simon

"Does a one legged duck swim in circles"? A nice Welsh guy whose name i can`t remember.:-{
"There seems to be something wrong with our ships today" Some Admiral guy commenting on the bashing the German navy were giving us.

A couple from Leslie Phillips, 'Ding Dong' i think from the Doctor series and 'Left hand down a bit'
from The Navy Lark.

Incredibly Phillips is now 93 and recently got married again, Ding Dong indeed!!!

"Life with the Lyons", a radio show in the 1950s, always started off with "I'm Richard Lyon, I'm Barbara Lyon, I'm Ben Lyon---and I'm Bebe Daniels Lyon". One of Barbara Lyon's catchphrases was: "I'll die--I'll just die". Dave

Last edited:
Played the Henry Hall "Here's to the Next Time" clip above. It's certainly very cheerful and sets your feet tapping. Thanks Radiorails. Dave.

A list of Catch Phrases,how far do we go? What a to do Sid Fields, Can you hear me mother,Sandy Powell,I only asked Bernard Bresland,swinging, dodgy Norman....blast can't remember....but he thought up the telly series " Bullseye "

A list of Catch Phrases,how far do we go? What a to do Sid Fields, Can you hear me mother,Sandy Powell,I only asked Bernard Bresland,swinging, dodgy Norman....blast can't remember....but he thought up the telly series " Bullseye "
Andrew Wood thought up Bullseye.

Back