• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi Babs
if you was in the tow rope some years back do you recall barry parker and is wife sue
we used to go in there every night of the week little freddie and lorraine
spent most night in there late hours till morning and go home to bed , of course i was a single fella then and lived with my
mothers house , i was a right play boy in those days of course i was single guy loved the night life
As they say , sleep by day and play by night a right part animal i was
I would travel to london and come back late and straight down to the pink elephant in bromsgrove street
By 1 pm and spend the night until six in the morning go home till night time and out again
those were the days babs ,wish i could put the clock back babs
I often wonder what ever happend to the old crowd my muckers but i do know one or two have passed away
at that time there was a shortage of clubs in brum city centre toss up the runner or the elephant
the cedar and the others down hill street had not been invented we used to go to handsworth night clubs
which was down the cellars for good blues and soul music in the days when a five pound note entrance fee
which was as large as a news paper you would go down the steps to the front door
and bang the knocker and a little window in the front door would open
and the guy would look through is little window and asked what do you want but if your face never fitted you would not
get entry if you did it would have cost you that big fiver great days eh,,
best wishes Astonian,,,,

Hi Carl, yes I remember the Shah Bagh (aka the S**g Bag ;):D) I used to go there with friends after a night out sometimes, that was in the 70s.

We also used to go to a West Indian place to get Jerk Pork in Soho Hill - that was before Rusty Lee's place was opened.

Hi

I know the Jerk Pork place, I never visited it but I knew of it.

The Shah Bagh did have that sudonym also, happy memories of the trendy Bombay Duck as a starter there.

They've just carried out a renovation of the old Kohinoor Restaurant on Bristol Street, just up from the Shah Bagh. It looks great although I haven't been in yet, but I will for old times sake.

I wonder if they have the same magician there "Tony Ricardi" who used to visit tables and do tricks whilst you tucked into your curries.

this is the only photo i have ever been able to find of rusty lees soho hill..situated next to the beehive pub.both the pub and i would think rustys building will soon be demolished and also the factory building to the the left of the beehive..i believe there are plans in the pipline to develope all of that space..click on the link below to see the sorry state the buildings are in now.at least we have this lovely photo of how they looked back in the day...there are more photos of soho hill on the soho hill thread

lyn

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...4!1sIz6oAxYkmDoZL2lTB-c-LA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

rusty lees soho hill.JPG

Blues party's in the 70's, ah good memories.

Crompton Road where I lived had it's fair share but, Brecon Road, Mayfield Road, Putney Road etc all had blues hosts too.

Talking about paying for entrance, what about the nightclubs in the 80's and 90's charging big money for entrance at Christmas and New Years Eve, and the guys had to wear ties to get in. My oh my how times have changed.

Bring back the good old days

carl re the queens head corner of farm st and hunters vale..my ancestors lived in the streets and roads around that area from 1861 up until 1972 when we left the area so the queens would have a been one of their watering holes since it was built...i know for certain that my gt gran and my gran used it..gt nan had her own stool in there:D...dad and our kid mark also used it a lot and it was once run by our marks friend and his partner..i think this would have been in the early to middle 80s ..street view below..i was in there a couple of months back..now under new management yet again so not sure how long this pub can survive

lyn

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...4!1sicusB3utbrZqsUiBvGFrLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Hi Lyn

Thank you for the picture of the pub, I really enjoyed going there back in the days.

Another of the pubs was the Minerva and the Whitehouse, I've been in the Whitehouse since but that's it.

I think the Queens was an Ansells pub back in the late 70's early 80's.

Thank you for the picture once again.

Carl

Hi Folks, it's 1969 and I worked in an office with a guy, I suppose you could call a mate but he was a few years older than me, who was engaged, but this didn't prevent him having romantic lunchtime liaisons with the telephonist, a cute brunette. Now I wasn't happy about this, not from a moral viewpoint but because he'd got two girls in tow I had none (at that time). So, as all's fair in love and war, I saw his engagement as sufficient reason for me to conclude there was nothing wrong in me making a move on Barbara (the telephonist).
I was aged 20 and I'd managed to scrape enough money together for the deposit on a new car, nothing flashy - and Austin 1300, Snowberry white black interior, in fact with me in the driving seat wearing my Ray-Bans I looked pretty cool (well, at least I thought I did) Anyway its Friday about 4.00pm and without thinking too much about it I breezed down to reception where Barbara was seated at her telephone exchange, she took a few calls and then I thought: no chatting up, no small talk, shoot from the hip, she can only say yes or no.
Barbara, would you like to come out with me tomorrow evening?

She said she would and arrangements were made; she lived in Sutton Coldfield, I lived in Erdington.
I was bang on time for our date and when she opened the front door I was speechless - she looked absolutely sensational - she must have been getting ready for our date all day, at least I liked to think so.
Do you know what? I think we lost a bit of romance when car central-locking came in - like the perfect gentleman I led her by the hand to the passenger door open it and held it whilst she oozed into the passenger seat, she was wearing a mini dress.......I think I'd better move on lads, you've probably got the picture.
I got in and we set off, Where we going? she asked but before I could answer she continued, By the way I've got to be home by 10pm.
I was lost for words.
10.00 0'clock?! In those day me and my associates went in the pub until 10.30 and then went on to a club, I couldn't believe it! A 19 year old under a 10pm curfew??
Well that really did put a dampener on things, including the choice of destinations that weren't going to take hours to get the there.

(Furthest I traveled to a nightclub for a Saturday night soire was Stoke on Trent) Immediately the Swan and Bull's Head at Yardley and the Factory and Top Rank in the city were ruled out and The Queens Head and Mother's in Erdington would have been tight, anyway we ended up at The Bel Air. We had a great time but it was all over far too quick, I got her home a bit late, only a few minutes, but when I departed the evening was still young, the one thing I do remember, and for that reason alone it made the night worthwhile, she was an unbelievably good kisser, completely uninhibited - can't say anymore than that, if my wife gets to read this I'm dead.
I can't remember what happened after that, I think I just thought: where could the relationship go with a 10pm curfew?
Pity really, she would have been treated like a princess.
Ah Well! That's life.

Regards,
Peg.

P.S. I never saw them, but my wife saw the Moody Blues at the Bel Air - she said they were fantastic - Knights in White Satin - as good as it gets.

P.P.S. Was my mate peeved off? I'll say!! He never got to kiss Barbara like I did.

Bel Air Barbara.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Folks, in the late 60s whenever I wanted to impress a young lady the Bel Air was always on my list of possible destinations, I particularly liked the gardens (especially in summer), where you could cool-off if things were getting a bit too hot(??!!) or, conversely, to get up close and personal if things were moving a bit too slow.
Ah! The good old days.

Regards,
Peg.

Bel Air virtual reality.jpg

This one will test your memory; Who remebers The Marmoset Club on Gt. Hampton St/Row. It was owned and run by Henry Bloomfield. Another one was The Surfside Stop on the corner of Summer Lane and Constitution Hill, just down a bit from Red Line Private Hire and the Club Cedar in the late 50s early 60s.
I new Henry Bloomfield who owned the Marmoset club did you know him

Astonian, its me again. Henry Bloomfield died a few years ago. He had minor surgery and caught an infection in his leg and it finished him. Did you know he was also a master tailor, he made all his own suits and showed me how to do it. I ended up making my own evening suit for working on the door at the Tower Ballroom. Happy days. There used to be a bit of trouble at times but in those days, if you got a smack in the mouth, you desereved it. Happy days.
Hello Stitcher, Henry Bloomfield was my husband died 1979.He was diabetic with complications,succestable to infections these were not miner but major,I nursed him for 5 yrs ,he was a great tailor and buisiness man,.Henry came from London Jewish family very affluent,Russian & Polish imigrants.

Sorry to report that "The Velvett Fogg" otherwise known as Keith Law whom blogged on Brum Beat about all groups and bands that played in Brummagem night clubs and wrote about our famous singers and musicians has sadly passed away and reported by our old member Mossey on Facebook.

I'm very sorry to hear that, I knew him slightly back in the early 70's as he was the friend of a friend.
RIP Keith.

i went to the Ritz kings heath and locarno and enjoyed the night life then pity the younger kids dont have the friends we had and the fun that will never be repeated as those times are sadly past
The Ritz was my local club too. They used to have some great bands there; the Dakotas, Moody Blues, Merseybeats, and P J Proby. Remember him?

Does anyone have photographs of The Penguin Club ? it was situated next to Villa Park, it was owned by John Kirkbright, sadly it was short-lived for a time in the 70s but featured some top acts of the time, I remember the live penguins that were kept in their own enclosure.

I remember that club, if only because I worked in the Inland Revenue office which dealt with businesses in that area in the late 60's!
Hope someone can help - I'm sure there must be some photos somewhere.

The Opposite Lock off Broad Street was a great little club in the 50's. But does anyone remember the Westminster Dance & Rhythm Club in Westminster Road, Birchfield. It was members only, because it opened only on Sundays and in the 50's - no dancing allowed in Birmingham.

Back