• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boer War Sword

Rob Derry

master brummie
One of my grandad's uncles Robert Jones fought in the Boer War and brought back with him a sword that has the number F2 82 8H19 inscribed on it. I have not been able to find his war record as there are simply too many Robert or R Jones listed on ancestry but wondered if this inscription might help. Any ideas anyone how to proceed?

One of my grandad's uncles Robert Jones fought in the Boer War and brought back with him a sword that has the number F2 82 8H19 inscribed on it. I have not been able to find his war record as there are simply too many Robert or R Jones listed on ancestry but wondered if this inscription might help. Any ideas anyone how to proceed?
Hallo Rob,
It sticks in my memory that the sword manufacturers, Wilkinsons, keep records going way back.
This sword your relative had is more likely to have been a battlefield find though. The British army were never inclined to let soldiers keep their personal weapons !

Don't know how we would have got it otherwise as none of us have ever been to South Africa and it's always been in the family ... re Wilkinson I thought they made razors !!!! Lol

have you got a picture you can put on, and is the sword straight or curved....

The sword is most likely part of his dress uniform and may not even have been used in battle. My great uncle, Henry Longmore, was a sergeant cook with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who served in South Africa during the Boer War and for some years afterwards. His dress uniform and sword were kept for many years by one of my uncles, but upon his death, were sold by his widow in the 1960s without the knowledge of other members of the family.

Maurice

The sword is most likely part of his dress uniform and may not even have been used in battle. My great uncle, Henry Longmore, was a sergeant cook with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who served in South Africa during the Boer War and for some years afterwards. His dress uniform and sword were kept for many years by one of my uncles, but upon his death, were sold by his widow in the 1960s without the knowledge of other members of the family.

Maurice
Did it have a large protective piece around the hand like the old fashioned cutlass

Bob,

Yes, though I only caught a glimpse of it once and that was nearly 53 years ago, when I didn't have much interest in those sorts of items!

Eric,

Nice selection there!

Maurice

Last edited:
Here's the picture for anyone who is interested in such things :)

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 22
Bingo ... looks like a private 4586 R Jones was in the 19th Hussars! The net is closing in on great uncle Bob !

Back