• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kuchinsky Family Who Became The Phillips

Rob Derry

master brummie
In the 1860s a small family escaped from the jewish persecution in Poland and came to England in the bottom of a coal boat (so family legend has it) living 1st in Chesterfield (maybe came into the port at Hull) and soon thereafter in Birmingham where they changed their name to Phillips. Jacob and Sarah with son Leopold Frederick also known as Louis started a business as Tailors and when son married Frances Barratt from Tamworth they moved to 16 Howard Street Hockley. Sons Jacob, Abraham, Bertram, Frederick, Ernest and Harold Sidney all served with the British Army, some in India, some in South Africa and all of them in WWI where only Harold died in the battle of Langemark - his name appears on the Menin Gate. Not sure when they changed their name to Phillips but in later censuses (1881 and 1891) it is changed. Percival Leonard Phillips married my nan's sister Rose and my uncle Trevor lived with the family as a child.

Would be great to hear from anyone called Phillips from Hockley

Back