• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Famous people with a Birmingham Connection (how many do you know)?

You are doing well between you, as I though I had threw you a couple of curved ones this time, but there is still one to find.

Anybody care to have a go at the remaining unanswered correctly question. The two people who have had a go at it so far have gotten it wrong, I will admit that it is not as straightforward as it looks.

Phil. Come on which one?? remember we are not getting any younger and....

Time wastes our bodies and our wits, but we waste time, so we are quits

Phil. Come on which one?? remember we are not getting any younger and....

Time wastes our bodies and our wits, but we waste time, so we are quits

Carolina

Sorry but I have just been rechecking the photo in question ("G") and I find that it has been wrongly tagged. It was said to be Julie Walters with her head shaved and make up portraying Mo Mowlam but I find that it is in fact the lady herself. Accordingly the quiz is over and I will tally up and post the winner and runners up this evening. Sorry about the error.

I have placed the names of each personality on the montage below, the winners of the quiz sorted by the number of first correct answers are,

two...................15 correct first place
Carolina............. 5 correct second place
sospiri............... 1 correct third place

Well done those that took part.

Attachments

• answers.jpg
    answers.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for my one, Phil, though quite a few of the rest I have never even heard of! Congratulations to Two and Carolina.

Maurice

With the recent passing of Ronnie Ronalde, at the age of 91, I am reminded of his bird whistling, made famous by the recording of "In A Monastery Garden"., and other songs. This song was composed by Albert Ketelbey, born in Birmingham in 1875, and died in 1959 in Cowes, I.O.W.

Ketelbey wrote some wonderful songs: In a Monastery Garden (1915); Bells Across the Meadow (1921; Sanctuary of the Heart (1924), and my own favourite; In A Persian Market (1920), the best recording, in my opinion, was by the great Billy May Big Band. Eddie

There is a blue plaque in honour of Albert Ketelbey on the Cornwall Street wall of the Birmingham and Midland Institute. I certainly agree with Norfolk Brummie about his beautiful music.

Blue_plaque_Albert_Ketelbey.jpg

No one whistles anymore. I had an uncle Tom that was very good at it. I whistle all the time myself and gets some strange looks from Yanks around here. I find when riding my bike whistling is very soothing and relaxing. John Crump OldBrit. Parker,Colorado USA

A couple of names popped up which surprised me, (apologies if they've allready been mentioned).

Helen George, (the impossibly pretty blonde in "Call the Midwife").

Nick Miles, (Jimmy King in "Emmerdale").

Further to my post #86, I am delighted to read that Malala Yousafzia has graduated with a string of 'A' Level results. What an amazing young lady. Congratulations to her. This young lady is going places, and it appears that Birmingham is playing its part in her future..

Eddie

John Wyndham Harris is related to my Wife's 2nd Cousin Anne Churchill *B C Canada* Her great uncle was Wyndham Beynon Harris the brother of George Beynon Harris Father of John Wyndham Harris The Author * i have been researching the Family for Anne and it has turned out to be a fantastic Journey for us all
Anne came over to visit us at Easter and we took her to the Gower Wales which is where George And Wyndham Harris were born

Richard Hammond isn't strictly a Brummie. He lived in Shirley and moved with his family to Yorkshire where he began his career in radio.

Both his parents are Bruumies though.

I presume this is the Top Gear guy you are mentioning. If so, it says born in Solihull (Shirley would be included in that description), which makes him a Silhillian. He is also, I notice, an Old Silhillian.

Shirley it definately was, and just over the border from Hall Green. Yes, he went to Solihull School until the family moved to Yorkshire.

Just been enjoying watching Julie Walters on "Coastal Waters with Julie Walters" on C4.
In't she Grayte ay ?

Last edited:
Right that is them all as far as I can see, sometime before New Years Eve I will post a list of the correct answers, I'll leave until then in case anybody wants to have a go without looking at the answers that have been given.
Did you get Steve Winwood on the list..

Further to my post #86, I am delighted to read that Malala Yousafzia has graduated with a string of 'A' Level results. What an amazing young lady. Congratulations to her. This young lady is going places, and it appears that Birmingham is playing its part in her future..

Eddie
Eddie Miss you mate!!

Covering the gaps to stop the fog coming into the house - that’s a memory awakened. We didn’t have a fog filled house but we did cover up holes. Like ASparks, I vividly remember the wonderful patterns of ice inside our windows - beautiful fern creations. But how cccccold !

Have watched Reacher (the programme) and had no idea of the Brum connection. Viv.

I only found out about his Birmingham connection fairly recently, I haven't read any of his books but I know they are a great favourite with my old manager - wish I'd known before we both retired so I could have boasted to him about how great us Brummies are!

Back