• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

People's Hall Revisited

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Re: Where is This? No 180 - Posted April 9[SUP]th[/SUP] 2010 by Phil, with this mystery picture below… who expected the answer by close of play that day I would imagine….

Peoples Hall 1.jpg

But no such luck! …ensuing kerfuffle++…the Town Hall for sure…. the Art Gallery, Birmingham Alabama etc….and it was 61 posts later, that Tacitus from Sandwell finally got it! Well that’s it then he thought, great fun ...…but No…then it went on and on with bits and pieces of information and comments pouring in, until the last post by the inimitable Peter Walker, which was on April 22[SUP]nd[/SUP]…114 posts and some 12 pages later! Amazing.

Unfortunately, all the visual stuff, but Phil’s reposted picture, didn't survived the hacking….so I thought it useful to replay his first post and the sequelae, and invite any MORE comments, but especially try and find the pictures of the finished building…it took a lot of hard slogging and some very good research to track them down in the Library, and I just hope they’ve lived somewhere to tell the tale …?

First, here’s the Post and all the replies and text….

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30524&highlight=Peoples+Hall

From this you will see that he finally included the text that accompanied the mystery drawing from Roy Thornton’s Book “The Lost Buildings of Birmingham”

quote: People's Hall of Science. I came across this fascinating illustration when I was looking, unsuccessfully, for a photograph of the Maternity Hospital in Loveday Street.
I had never heard of it and thought it might have been a project that was never built. However, it was, and the foundation stone of this building in Loveday Street (later Lower Loveday Street), with a frontage to Princip Street, was laid on Easter Monday 1841 and it opened in 1842, having cost £2,400 to build. Its birth had not been easy, as there had been a 'tumultuous meeting' on the proposed site on 6 August 1840, leading to virulent letters and advertisements in the Birmingham Journal with the suggestion that the trouble had been started by followers of the Chartist movement endeavouring to promote their cause, including universal suffrage.
Sadly, the building only survived for a few years fulfilling its original and admirable purpose, the suggestion for its failure being the excessive distance from the town centre. During this time it was used as a place of worship by followers of George Dawson after his secession from Graham Street until the completion of the Church of the Saviour. It does not surprise me that in discussions concerning the obtaining of designs for the building the name of Mr Hansom was mentioned. For most of its existence the building was used as a manufactory or warehouse and known as the 'People's Hall Works'.

Here are some other comments from posts culled from the generated traffic, and other sources….

People's Hall.—The foundation stone of the People's Hall, corner of Loveday and Princip Streets, was laid on Easter Monday, 1841, by General (then Colonel) Perronet Thompson. The cost of the building was £2,400, and, as its name implies, it was intended, and for a short time used, as a place for assemblies, balls, and other public purposes. Like a number of other "institutions for the people," it came to grief, and has long been nothing more than a warehouse.

Now some comments from Phil, Peter Walker and Tacitus..……..”It is indeed the Peoples Hall of Science opened in 1842 complete with baths, club, exhibition and lecture rooms and there was also a library. It didn't last long at the purpose it was built for, The reason given was "the excessive distance from the town centre"
It was used as a place of worship by followers of George Dawson until the completion of the Church of the Saviour. It then fell into use as a warehouse & manufactory and became known as The Peoples Hall Works.

This information and photo came from the very good and interesting book by Roy Thornton called The Lost Buildings of Birmingham published by History Press. It is well worth a look.
Doing a bit or research into the People's Hall I found the following on the web site 'History On Line'

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...mpid=22967#n70

"One of the first writers on adult education cited Birmingham experience to reveal the existence of a cycle of activity whereby institutions were 'auspiciously commenced' only to be 'readily abandoned when the novelty of their first proceedings had passed away'. (fn. 70) Certainly the experience of the Mechanics' Institute was not unique. Another society called the Athenaeum also failed. (fn. 71) So too did the most ambitious of the popular educational ventures in Birmingham - the People's Hall
. In 1840 a group of Birmingham artisans announced that they intended to build a People's Hall of Science 'containing a library, a lecture room, school rooms, reading rooms, committee rooms, dinner and tea or refreshment rooms, and kitchen and other conveniences for the use and instruction and amusement of the people and the improvement of their understanding, morals and health and for promoting their rational enjoyments'. (fn. 72) Progress was slow, and it was not until 1846 that a modest structure was completed and opened by William Scholefield. A toast was proposed to 'the People's Hall, and may it ever be preserved to carry on its great object - the education, moral and political improvement of the people'. (fn. 73) The language was more eloquent than the organization merited. Of the two thousand shares of £1 originally issued - they could be bought in weekly instalments of as little as 6d. - 1,400 shares were never taken up. 'The entire sum raised from the donations and shares of the wealthy, was only one hundred and fifty pounds.' (fn. 74) Even when the building was opened the real difficulties were only just beginning. The Literary and Scientific Institute which was the organization controlling the use of the Hall had a clause in its constitution restricting religious and political party discussion, but a 'religious feud' broke out, which destroyed the Institute from within. In 1849 the Hall had to be sold. (fn. 75)"

These dates conflict with those given on the back of the photo. I have been trying to look up the Langford 'Modern Birmingham' footnote reference ( I have a CD) but can't find anything there. Likewise Gill's 'History of Birmingham' Vol 1. I'll carry on for a bit anyway.

Quoting further: "In 1846, the same year that the People's Hall was opened, the People's Instruction Society was also founded. For 1d. a week the Birmingham workingman was given access to a reading room (the latest version of the Birmingham news rooms which already had a long history), (fn. 76) a library, a chess room, a refreshment room, a discussion and debating society, and a weekly lecture. For an additional penny instruction was afforded in evening classes in reading, writing, arithmetic, elocution, and singing. There were 600 readers in 1846, 500 of whom were claimed to be working men. (fn. 77) This society also withered away after 1850".

Footnotes referred to:
70 Hudson, Hist. Adult Educ. 62.
71 Ibid.
72 Rules of the People's Hall Building Soc.
73 Birm. Jnl. 28 Mar. 1846.
74 Langford, Mod. Birm. i. 122.
75 Birm. Jnl. 24 Mar. 1849.
76 See A. Briggs, Press and Public in Early 19th-Cent. Birm. (Dugdale. Soc. Occasional Papers, No. 8), p. 14.
77 Hudson, Hist. Adult Educ. 65-6.

Peter
Thank you Tacitus for your latest find.
Further scraping the barrel brings out the following brief references to the People’s Hall, all taken from J A Langford: ‘Modern Birmingham and its Institutions, 1841-1871.

Report of J Pigott Smith to the Streets Commissioners, March 1843.
The erection of Barker Bridge by your Commission in conjunction with the Governors of the General Hospital and the Canal Company will add much to the public convenience, by giving so admirable a connecting link to the populous districts of St. Mary and St. George; and on the completion of the works now in progress in Princip Street, Loveday Street and Shadwell Street, the successful efforts of your Commission, in carrying out this line of communication, will be highly appreciated by the public.

‘Birmingham Journal’ 18 July, 1846
Mr Dawson’s new chapel. – On Sunday morning last, at the People’s Hall, and on the evening at the Unitarian Chapel, Newhall Hill. Mr Dawson announced to his congregation, that the turning of the first turf, on the site of the new chapel would be commenced on the Tuesday morning following, at ten o’clock. He remarked that there would be no idle ceremony gone through; and his only motive for mentioning was that that those persons whose confidence had been shaken, owing to the unavoidable delay, might have an opportunity of there and then satisfying themselves that the Committee was in earnest. Accordingly on Tuesday morning, many respectable persons of both sexes had congregated on the spot, eager to witness the commencement of an edifice that had been so long talked of. At half past ten, Mr Dawson arrived, and delivered an appropriate address, enunciating the principles which were to govern the Free Church, which would speedily assemble on that spot. He concluded with a brief but impressive prayer. Alderman Cutler turned the turf first, Mr Dawson senr, Mr R Martineau, Mr Thomas Clark, jun, following his example; and the meeting then separated. The ground chosen for the erection is situated in Edward Street, Parade. Bateman and Drury are the architects.
During the building of the new chapel, Mr Dawson preached on Sunday mornings, at the People’s Hall, Loveday Street; and in the evenings, at the Unitarian Chapel, Newhall Street.

Chartist connection
On Sunday 11 June (1848) the Chartists held an outdoor meeting at the People’s Hall, Loveday Street. The speeches were of the most violent character. The meeting adjourned until the evening; and some fears were entertained that the peace would be broken. The police were assembled at an early hour, and were kept in readiness to act a moment’s notice. The Mayor, Colonel Arbuthnot, Major Brompton and the Superintendent of Police were in attendance at the Police Station in Staniforth Street, during the time of the meeting, and kept up constant communication with the men on duty near the spot. Early in the morning, two companies of infantry arrived from Weedon, and were stationed near the railway; but their services were not required.

Fund raising for Birmingham and Midland Institute
The first of a series of meetings in connection with the artisans’ movement in support of the Birmingham and Midland Institute was held at the People’s Hall, Loveday Street, on 22 February 1854. . . . . . Later meetings were held at Mount Zion School-room on 2 March, at St John’s School-room, Deritend on 9 March, and St Martin’s School-room, Inge Street on 9 April. This seems to be the last evidence of the People's Hall still being open.

Further to my comment about the muddy connections with Chartism, I have found a good and readable explanation of current conditions and events in Birmingham on an excellent web site, URL https://historyhome.co.uk/peel/chartism/birchar.htm

A further potential source is the constitution and rules of the People's Hall, but I will have to go to my local library to access the relevant website, as it is not open to the general public. Something for next week perhaps.
Peter

The references I have for those 2 pictures are WK/B11/4048 and WK/B11/5753. They are both described as People's Hall of Science. It could be that they are just copies of the picture that started this thread but we definitely need to take a look . . . . !!
I didn't get as far as checking if they have any general views of Loveday Street or Princip Street but obviously that is a bit more of a palaver. Still something we will have to try and do before we finally put this to bed.

Rupert. Re the picture you have shown in Post 108. Strange coincidence about the number of arches but I am absolutely certain that that is a different building i.e. on the opposite corner. So technically on Loveday Street/Shadwell Street as opposed to Loveday Street/Princip Street.
The location where the People's Hall was is actually this newish red brick building that you can just see front left in your picture.

HELP!!! What pictures!!! Im going for a lie down now until something turns up…hopefully…

Peoples Hall 2.jpg
the Original

map_c_1914_showing_site_of_peoples_hall_in_red~0.jpg
mike's Map showing location of People's Hall in red

Last edited:
Hi Dennis, This is a picture of Peoples Hall that i guess was taken in the 1950s. It was on the corner of Loveday Street and Princip Street.

Attachments

• Loveday St & Princip St,PEOPLES HALL.built 1841 still there 1949..JPG
    Loveday St & Princip St,PEOPLES HALL.built 1841 still there 1949..JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 51
Hi Dennis, This is a picture of Peoples Hall that i guess was taken in the 1950s. It was on the corner of Loveday Street and Princip Street.

Yes! That's the one I remember moss...cheers ....looks very eerie....and minus all the pillars of the drawing....

thanks for posting that pic moss...dennis i agree they are two differnt buildings...

lyn

I think there was quite a bit of artistic license with the drawing and it might have in fact only been a proposed representation of the building before it was built. There are obvious differences in the building and the drawing that can be noted. Perhaps the photo of the 1950's building was the way that is was built.

Dennis
Below are things I have under People's Hall, which I assume came from the original thread:

prospectus_.jpg

PH4_.jpg

PH3_.jpg

ph2_.jpg

ph1_.jpg

committee_.jpg

As I understand it, it was suggested that the building was still there, much modified. Below are the pictures from then on streetview, which seem much similar todaY.

suggested_peoples_hall_2009.jpg

suggested_peoples_hall_2009_2.JPG

Mike

I think you have got the wrong building, the latter photo of the building shows it to be on the corner of Loveday St & Princip St. The building you indicate is on the corner of Loveday St & Shadwell St. We all know that addresses on photos can be wrong but in addition the 1950's photos shows the frontage of the building running uphill on the other building it is the side that runs uphill.

Perhaps the building you indicate was designed as a sort of mirror image of the Peoples Hall on the other side of the road.

Yes you are right.It looks like I recorded it as I was looking at problemat that time, and forgot to relabel.

Birmingham chartist poster 1848.JPG birmingham chartists Thursday 16 March 1848 Morning Chronicle.jpg I found this poster for a Chartist meeting which was held on June 11th 1848. (Stating to be held on a piece of ground near the Peoples Hall) Birmingham. My family were Gun makers working in this area including Loveday Street. One of them (my g.g grandfather) moved to live on the Chartist settlement at Dodford Worcester. Did he get the idea from the meetings held on his door step? are there any share holder lists that can be accessed? or Chartist member lists?Birmingham chartist poster 1848.JPG

Thanks Vivienne 14, I have found that site. (Its very good). Information comes from strange sources. Drip by drip building up a picture over time...... Keep up the good work. Trevor

Hi Trevour
I have a print of two people namely, Stanley Carpenter Originally from Yardley,
Now Living in Alcester, dated 22 September 1909
With his uncle bill whom lived in small Heath
Apparently at the peoples Hall Birmingham,the Act also did a spot on the Radio,
Note the Bill for Peoples Hall displayed on the window with a
Instruments in the centre
On Easter Monday 1881 the Foundation stone was laid by
Colonel Perronet Thompson of a peoples Hall, in loveday street to principal street,
This Building which was errected at a cost of 2,400 Thousand pounds
Was as it name implies, intended to be used for public meeting
And was probably to some extent
The out come of the Chartist movement in Birmingham ,:)

It was used for assemblies, balls, and other purposes,
But it seemed to have fallen into disuse at an early date
Chiefly on account of its remoteness from the centre of the town, it was used as a place of worship
By the followers of the Late George Dawson, after his succession from Graham Street,
Until the church of the saviour was finished.
It has for many years been used as a warehouse or manuctory .
It seems that after the people,es Hall closed down another such building open end in Hurst street
And that this was the one at, according to the kellys Birmingham directory for 1933
There was another peoples Hall in selly oak that was advertised. As a public Hall
By this time the original peoples Hall in the Gun quarter was occupied by a box making firm

Hi Lyn. Think it's gone. It's been suggested that the building in post #7, although similarly designed, isn't the Hall. The position is wrong in terms of the building alignment to the roads. And the facade (see post #2) is very different too. Added to which, if a foundation stone was laid (re. post #6) I can't see one on the current building. The building in post #7 still seems to be in use. Viv.

I think this was the position of the People's Hall (red dot) as per post #2. It's the corner of Princip and Loveday Streets. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 16
morning viv yes thats where i thought it once stood...although it was one the corner of princip st and loveday st not shadwell st...note the incline of loveday st as shown in the pic on post 2....

lyn

Back