• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can anybody confirm where thses pictures are in Aston

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
1970_28929.jpg
Gerrard_Street.jpg
1970_28829.jpg

Can any tel me where these pictures were taken I believe the 2 nd one might be Gerrards Street?

im not 100% ray ...... 1st i think porchester st ..... 2nd unsure maybe Gerrard st .... 3rd Mansfield road ??
ragga

I've just looked on Google's Street view and from Albert Road I can see almost the same view of that church in the 3rd photo.
oldmohawk

Capture~2.JPG

Had a look around to find our the history of this church. It was built in 1883 as a Wesleyan Chapel. These days it is Church of God of Prophecy. Thanks for posting the photo Ragga and Old Mohawk for your photo. Not forgetting Ray for posting photos.

Mansfield Road chapel, a brick building seating 355, (fn. 17) was opened by the Wesleyans in 1883, and cost £1,879. (fn. 18) In 1940 it comprised a main hall seating 280, and eight ancillary rooms of which two were built as school halls. (fn. 19) The Sunday evening congregation in 1892 was 166, (fn. 20) and church membership in 1932

Hi Ray,
picture 3 is definatley Albert Road Aston as I grew up opposite it on Mansfield road in the 70,s

Gerry

Unable to help Ray, but the pics are fabulous. And thanks to Oldmohawk, we have a before and after view.

Hello Bazz - If the church had not been in the 3rd photo I would have found it difficult, I'm only a lower division player in the 'Where is this ?' on the forum !

I can't resolve the bus destination number (maybe 8) in the second photo which would help. The one-way signs may be a clue, but the only-one way road I remember in the 3rd photo area was Beacon Hill off Trinity Rd, but it's not that road.

Clutching at straws I notice what was probably an old ITV aerial on a roof and that would have been pointing roughly in the north east direction.

oldmohawk

"Quote" I can't resolve the bus destination number (maybe 8) in the second photo which would help. The one-way signs may be a clue, but the only-one way road I remember in the 3rd photo area was Beacon Hill off Trinity Rd, but it's not that road.

Old Mohawk if you click on it to save and click on "save as" in comes up as Gerrard St. Dek

The second photo was on the forum previously, and i saved it as "looking up Gerrard St from the junction with Alma St"

ragga is right..pic 1 is of porchester st with clifford st running accross...keep em coming ray these photos are priceless and it so good to see you reposting a few for us...
this one of porchester st i have..
porchesterst.jpg

#11 Lyn do you know the name of the pub on the corner. I remember in the 60s my mom and sister worked in William St, I started at the same factory in 67 and the first Xmas i was there the women all went for a drink and i am sure it was that one. Our mom had too much and the foreman tied her to the handpress to keep her from dancing in the factory.

Hi Mike,
I had looked at the file name and had saved all the previously posted photos. I looked at the thread attachment list Here and could not see the filename in the list. Anyway, Lyn's found a photo of the first road so hopefully we might see the pics edited back into the original posts. I love reading the threads where there is comment about the photos and places.
oldmohawk

oh lol topsy what a great story...yes it was the porchester arms corner of clifford st and porchester st..during the next few days i am going to start reposting my pub pics but here is the porchester to be going on with..dated 26th sept 1966

Newtown_1_47_The_Porchester_Arms_Porchester_Street_Ansells_26-9-1966.jpg

ive got another one topsy so i will post them on the appropriate thread for you then maybe you can repost your story to go with them..

Back