• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various street pics

thanks everyone....it does time time but worth every min just to get a few images back on the forum..

Lyn, I appreciate your hard work too. And how great is it to either look over these photos again or even discover them for the first time? Seems to me that it's injected a new energy into threads. Viv.

A Couple of oldies of College Road

The first picture looks like it's been taken in the vicinity of the College Arms pub, in the distance on the right would have been the site of the Mayfair cinema. My Dad (b1925) remembers it being built. there was also a smallpox hospital in the grounds next to the site of the Mayfair.

The second picture looks like the Council Salvage yard on the left. We called this cut the Witton Canal as kids.

love the college road pics topsy..

morturn i dont live too far from there but for the life of my i just could not place where the pics were taken...it has all change so much

Image102.jpg

I love the concept of training the girls on how to keep the place clean. The text adds greater depth to the photo.

Topsy
Where is the picture on the right of the Globe. I can't seem to find Lashmore tobacconists in Brum
Mike

#89 Smashing picture at the No 8 bus stop . Stood there many of time waiting for the bus to take us to The Roller Rink Spring Hill. The Union pub is at the back of the bus (not literaly)

Thanks topsy. That explain it. It isn't H. Lashmore on the shop. it is H.L. Ashmore
mike

Hi Corol
I have this one which was prev posted, i will have a look for anymore i might have.

Ruston_Street.jpg

Regards Stars

hi I thought how interesting this photo was i thought i would post it and share it with you.
I hope they still got their Divi.

Image7_Co_op_mobile_greengrocery.jpg

Regards Stars

This is interesting Stars. The caption says it was a mobile greengrocery, but was it really 'mobile' with all that produce on top?! Also in view of it being a mobile van, it has a surprising range on offer. It feels almost familiar, but I don't remember seeing one of these on the streets. Maybe they didn't deliver around our neck of the woods. I do remember we had the bread van and the milk delivery on a horse-drawn cart in the 1950s. Viv.

Back