• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield rd shops Perry Barr

I worked at a hairdressers called Anne Hewitts or Hewletts in the 70's can anyone remember that?

what a cracking photo topsy and we moan about the queues at asda...:D

thanks for posting it...

lyn

I'm wondering if anyone remembers the name of the shops at the end of Wellington Rd which border onto Birchfield Rd? They were probably built around the time of the flyover. The post office is still there but I remember a baker's shop/cafe next door to the post office. I think there may have been a Dillons too. Thanks.

Yes, I remember the shops, I think you are right about the ones you mention but I can't remember any more of the names.
I have an idea there was an off licence there too.

There were also shops in the Victorian block of buildings before the road was widened for the underpass. One of which was a butchers - I remember that as the father of a girl in my class at primary school worked there.

The off licence is still there. I keep thinking of Underwoods but maybe that was further up Wellington Rd/Westminster Rd? I would have loved to have been around to see that Victorian block. The area looked so pretty in the photos...
Now you've reminded me of the butchers there was a Rowleys butcher shop there, the type with sawdust on the floor and I think a tv rental shop next to that. The 'bookies' is still around the corner, however the other newsagent closed years ago. I used to go there to buy my Enid Blyton books! Thanks for jogging my memory!

I actually did find out the name of the baker's shop/cafe but forgot to post! It was called Birmingham Dairies. :smug:

Phil excellent photo----does anyone remember Wards Picture Framers just down from the motor bike place and up one shop from Salisbury Road
Gra

Longley,

Sorry I cant do you a photo of the shop, but I believe this was roughly the area wasn't it?

Attachments

• Perry Barr Birchfield Rd 1966.jpg
    Perry Barr Birchfield Rd 1966.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 78
Does anyone remember "Roys Royal Bakery" on the corner of Birchfield Rd / Aston Lane.? I dont know weather it was a shop or an actual bakery.
My grandfather had something to do with that bakery. I remember a photo of a horse pulled bread van outside Aston Hall. I recall also going to the bakery on Aston Lane and seeing the stables.

If you have a search on the Birmingham Libraries website, there are dozens of photos of the Perry Barr / Birchfield Road area, taken before, during and after the construction of the underpass and flyover.
I have stitched together a few of them dating from 1959 to make 2 panoramas of the Birchfield Road shops before demolition - the first is northbound before Aston Lane / Wellington Road junction:-
1639731110650.png

The second is after the junction - the original Perry Barr railway station and site of (what is now) One Stop shopping centre is on the right:-
1639731210713.png

thats great stitching mark....you would not recognise perry barr now so to see any old photos of days gone by is a real treat...

cheers

lyn

Hi

Heres a list from Kelly's Dirctory of the shops on Birchfield Rd in the 1950's if that any good to you. I will have a look at what photos I can come up with.

Phil

BIRCHFIELD RD. Perry
Barr (20), continuation of
Birchfield road, Six ways
to Aldridge road. MAP
H 27 & 26.
EAST SIDE.

here is Aston la
339 Barclays Bank Ltd
343,Dewhurst J. H. Ltd.
butchers
345 Baines George Ltd. bkrs
347A, Pratt A. & Sons, turf
commssn. agt
349 Bywater M. & Co. Ltd.
butchers
351 Clarkes Fruit Market
Ltd. greengros
353 New Crown & Cushion
. P.H
355 Alt-Kinsey Ltd. typing
school
357 Woakes J. G. butcher
363 Weston B. (Chemists)
Ltd
CROWN AVENUE :
Medlam & Machin, shop
& office fitters
365 Sweeney R. F. Radio
Ltd
367 Mayfair (The), confectioner
369 Wilson Mrs. D. L.
draper
371 Dodd Geo. Ltd. ironmongers
In the 1950’s the shop you list as Weston Chemists, was called W H Wilkins, it did not become Weston’s until mid late 1960’s.
I worked for Weston Chemist for a while. In Brownhills, Erdington Halesowen, The Bullring. Before moving to Northampton and finally to Sheffield. Weston’s were taken over by the Dixon’s group and eventually wound up. Regards AC.

Last edited:
Back