• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Janet, My Grandparents lived at 358 Alum Rock Road, Grandma had suffered a stroke and spent most of her days sitting in the front window, watching the world go by. I remember visiting her during the 1940's until she died in 1951. My sister bought a house in Anthony Road in 1952, it was the second one up from Alum Rock Road and she taught at Anthony Road School for a short time although I think that it was known as Shaw Hill School at that time. It is a small world!!!!

My Grandparents lived in Woodwells Road and used to shop round the corner by the Capitol.

The first film I ever saw was Snow White at the Capitol and I had to carried out of the cinama terrified after the wicked whitch appeared!!

My other half, who lived in St. Agatha's Road bought his records from Hawtins shop.

A much slower, gentle pace of life in those days.

Hi Janet, My Grandparents lived at 358 Alum Rock Road, Grandma had suffered a stroke and spent most of her days sitting in the front window, watching the world go by. I remember visiting her during the 1940's until she died in 1951. My sister bought a house in Anthony Road in 1952, it was the second one up from Alum Rock Road and she taught at Anthony Road School for a short time although I think that it was known as Shaw Hill School at that time. It is a small world!!!!

Hi Geofred. Was your grandmothers surname Bates. I remember going to visit Mrs Bates with my mother. We lived at 350 Alum Rock Road, and if I remember correctly my parents bought our house from Mrs Bates for the princely sum of £200. Although I was very young at the time so forgive me if this isn't right.

Hi Janet, Yes you are quite right, Grandma was Violet Bates and she was left houses number - 350, 352, 354, 358 and 360 Alum Rock Road and her brother Harry had 230, 232, 234 and 236 Anthony Road left them in their mother's will in 1932. Their mother was Fanny Page who had lived at number 384 Alum Rock Road.

This may have been said before but - alum rock has had a number of uses over the centuries. For instance, the chemicals gained from the rock have been used as a fire retardent. During the 16th/17th century - ships' sails would be soaked in this sort of mixture. Just thought I'd mention it. You never know when it might crop up in conversation!!!

Hi
Yes The shop that stands on a Bob was great, sold all sorts didnt it? Do you also remember Zissmans mens shop just up from May Mitchells wool shop before the Methodist Church.
I too used to go in Fowlers to buy my records but mainly to listen to them!
Did you go to Staffords to have your hair cut, or Mr. Lowe the barber by Reginald Road.
WendyP
Hi Wendy,its Janet I do remember the wool shop May Mtchells mom used to get our wool put by and bought more when she could afford it. Thanks for telling me about The Birmingham History Forum. Do you remember Braggs Bakery? Mom used to work there in the packing room I loved going there to meet her from work cos there was always some broken cakes going spare!!!

This may have been said before but - alum rock has had a number of uses over the centuries. For instance, the chemicals gained from the rock have been used as a fire retardent. During the 16th/17th century - ships' sails would be soaked in this sort of mixture. Just thought I'd mention it. You never know when it might crop up in conversation!!!

Thats interesting Roy my husband always wondered where Alum Rock got it's name. He was born in Ralph Road.

For a 1938 view at the Pelham pop over to the 'Birmingham Trams' thread. Have posted it today. Right up to the 1960's it didn't change much here except that the trams were replaced by buses.

i can remember sonnys the tailors also woodleys the butchers,nutts the sewing machine shop,saturday mornings at the rock cinema , :uncle: george the manager happy days

Hi janet, this is Christine. I used to work at May Mitchells as a Saturday girl for about a year from 1958-summer 1959 when I left school. Aslo, I remember Braggs bakery and my mother also worked there. She worked there on and off for years and I think she worked in various departments. At one time she worked in what they called the "Tin shed", think this is where all the cake and bread tins were left for washing and cleaning up.

Hi Christine, I left Nansen Senior Girls school in 1957. I daresay our paths crossed at some point. Mom probably knew your mother she worked at Braggs until she retired my parents were living at Castle Bromwich then. I lived with them until I was married in 1965.

Another girl from Nansen Road also had a mother who worked at Braggs, the girl was called Jean Harris and lived in Highfield Road at the top near Alum Rock Road. Jean was a bit older than I was, perhaps you remember her. I think Jean was a year older than I was so probably left Nansen in 1958.

Hi,

I also went to Nansen, started in the infants 1960 and left Juniors 1967 to go to Hodge Hill Grammar. I lived in Ash Road.

My Aunty Edie always used to get her corsets from a shop by Haynes greengrocers. The counter seemed to be piled high with knickers and corsets.

The pics posted here are wonderful, my mom still lives in Ash Road, and hardly ever shops on the Rock now. None, of those shops are there now.

What number did you live at in Ash Road? I lived in the flats at number 55, opposite Hall Road. Do you remember Mrs. Cutts who had the grocery shop down towards Adderley Road?

Hello Fashionz,

I think you will find the shop you are talking was Goldbergs, besides ladies underwear, they also sold babies clothes, I used this shop when by boys were born, also McGauley's for their Silver Cross pram, and high chair and cot, and the 'Welfare' (baby clinic) in Washwood Heath Road on the corner of Arley Road.

If you go to the beginning of this thread on 'Shops on Alum Rock Road' you will find a lot of information plus some very good photographs.

Regards trebor

I think your aunt probably got her corsetts from May Mitchell who also sold wool etc. She was one of the last shops to go on the Rock.

The original Miss Margaret was a lovely ladies dress shop in the 60's. I remember her well, a very classy lady.

My Aunty got her corsets from Goldberg's, (those big pink things, with suspenders, and she wore knickers with long legs). The corsets she gave up, but, the knickers..... I think she only stopped wearing them co's you couldn't get them anymore. She knitted me lots of cardi's and we'd go to the wool shop (which I think was May Mitchells) to choose the wool.

Do any of you remember Rowbottom's, opposite Ralph Road. And their pigs trotters?

Do any of you folks who lived in Ash road remember a girl called Sandra Smith? She was my best friend at school in the late 50's and went to work in Manchester when she left school in 1959. She lived towards he bottom of Ash Road. she had a sister called Susan Smith. I would love to contact her if anyone knows of the samily. I think her Mother was Maltese.

hi,everyone, my other half had her photos, taken at alum-rock market with [pat roach] in the late 60s..where would you find a copy of this photo??.please...thanks in advance..regards...christy.

although i did'nt live in the area i worked in duddeston mill road and in my dinner time used to walk up THE ROCK am i right in thinking there was a small picture house on the left by barclays bank it was a bit rundown and not in use as i remember, also i used to browse a big double fronted shop at the gate for records i think it was a newsagents as well and there was chaplains fishing tackle shop they moved to the pelham, also moss zissman got me out of trouble with a suit for a mates wedding when the one i ordered was'nt ready! a cheap suit that lasted years
phil

Hi. My aunt and uncle owned a Duro Wine shop at the bottom of Alum Rock near to the Gate as it was called their name was Dunn. I lived at Jackson Road Alum Rock up till I think it was 1961 but my nan and aunty lived there into the 1970s their name was Sedgley Linda Jackson

philbee refers to a small run down cinema near to the 'Gate'. I'm thinking of a building in that very location that became a "nightclub" in about the 1970's called the 'Jigsaw' and operated by a group of Irish guys. I don't know what it is now!

Hi to the Alum Rock Group.
Do you remember The Variety Stores on the
corner of Parkfield Road , it was run by Harold Davies selling all kinds of
goods the shop with 1000's of different things. Also a very good Toy
Shop. We bought it off Harold and carried on selling much of the same
adding more lines to the already massive stock list. Changed the name
to Carol's Variety Stores no brain power involved. Happy Days...
To all my past customers sincere regards , Dave....

Variety stores was a fantastic shop! I'd go in for one thing and come out laden down with items I didn't really need and had no room for! Happy days.

Macca

At the age of 16 I finally plucked up the courage to go to a dentists and it was also Dr. Gawthorpe at the Pelham. Do you remember the "boutique" just along the road from the dentists? It was owned by one of the Birmingham City footballers but I can't remember which one. I bought a "cat suit" from there in the late 60's. It was every colour you could imagine and my pride and joy.

It was Winston Foster

I never knew the name of the footballer. Don't suppose it was important, just that it was someone famous!

I used to go to St. Andrews, the only players I remember are Barry Bridges (number 8) and Trevor Hockey.

Back