• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Caring for gravestones

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
It is sometime now since I came to terms with the fact that I am the only one in my family interested in our family's history. I have tried everything to encourage my siblings, parents and our wider extended family to participate in the discoveries I have made but to very little success.

It is no surprise therefore that they also show little interest in visiting or helping to preserve the gravestones of Grandparents, Great Aunts or Great and even Great, Great Grandparents. I do what I can but time and distance prevent me from visiting more than, at most, a couple of times a year.

This weekend my husband and I travelled to Studley (warks) to tend 7 graves in total in 3 graveyards. The 3 graves in the Catholic graveyard are reasonably well cared for as some one, I have no idea who, cuts the grass around each stone and keeps the place looking neat and tidy.

However, it is a slightly different story in the other 2 sites. Some of the graves have the grass trimmed around them but the ones I was visiting were becoming very over grown and indeed one took us 20 minutes to locate because long grass had totally obscured it.

So my query is has anyone got any tips for how to deal with over grown weeds/grass or how to clean the gravestones themselves? it seems to have been a fashion in the 1930's-1970's for white marble curbs around the grave filled with green "glass" chippings. The white marble is now so discoloured with a black mould that the black letters which once stood out so clear from the white of the marble are now obliterated. Also the curbs on several of the graves are becoming loose, any ideas on what to do about this.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay for someone else to care for the graves and I am aware that some cleaners are not suitable or appropriate to use on gravestones. Would a suitable weed killer/moss killer be OK for around the graves and to treat the chippings. I saw a man cleaning his brother's white marble headstone and he told me he was using a well diluted patio cleaner with a scrubbing brush. Is that too harsh?

I would be really grateful for any advice and thanks for taking the time to read my very long post.
I just feel so sad that the graves are so neglected
Helen

I think this post is right up Wendy's street as she spends a lot of time tending to the graves at Key Hill Cemetery

Someone, recently, has posted about suitable cleaning materials but I am stumped to remember who and where it was. I do remember that no propriety cleaners were recommended . You could try the Search function and may be have better luck than me, I must be using the wrong keywords.
I feel pretty sure you will have your answer buy tomorrow...arkrite.

I was asked this question a little while back and I didn't know the answer. So I asked an Italian friend of mine who's family have been in the marble and tile business for generations.

This is what my mate told me about marble and its also good for all types of monument. He says in normal circumstances a good abrasive cleaner such as Jif or Cif or even an oven cleaner will do the job.

He says using semi professional materials can be quite expensive. He also says they use this type of thing infrequently as most of their work is with new marble but he would recommend HG Marble Cleaner. He adds you should be able to obtain some from any large tile supplier.

If you have any problems finding a supplier he recommends you try https://www.marblemasteruk.com/ a London based firm who sell to domestic consumers over the net. You should also be able to obtain a sealer from them.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Marble which has become dull can be livened up by using a commercial marble cleaner and polish. Buy from a company that sells marble. Companies generally carry imported polish-cleaners, which are used on softer imported marbles and hence safe for the harder U.S. marble. They work faster and easier than the old "marble care kits" which used to be distributed by marble companies.A light coat of wax will protect the surface of marble but is not considered essential. Use colorless wax. Don't wax white marble as it may tend to yellow it. A marble sealer can be applied to clean marble, which will protect from staining and allow soil to be wiped off with a damp cloth for sandstoneTry to poultice it with a solution of water and regular household bleach (1:1). believe it or not, most of that "pollution dirt" is nothing but mildew! Once you remove most of the stain with the poultice, use a solution of hot water and bleach (3:1), and with the help of a natural bristle brush and a lot of "elbow grease", as for the weeds some of our gardening people may be able to help:)

Can someone from admin or a moderator tell me when the post I made to this thread will be passed as suitable.

Thanks Phil

Sorry to be late with answering we have been away. I think most has been covered. Marble and Granit are easier to clean but be careful if the memorial is old don't be tempted to use household cleaners on old stone as the chemicals can dammage the stone. I have used a memorial stone cleaner from Betterware which worked quite well but a lot of elbow grease was needed. It may be a good idea to ask a stone mason as they clean memorials often after working on them.:):)

Stuck at home in the snow I thought I would try and order some cleaner for the gravestone I hope to tackle when the weather gets warmer (if it ever gets warmer!)

I have tried the Betterware site but can't find the memorial stone cleaner that Wendy suggested. I am about to try the site Phil recommended.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Helen

Helen you should try if its marble Dettol mould and mildew remover it costs about £2-50 you just spray it on and leave for about ten minutes and rinse off

Mossy

I have no experience of Dettol I would still be a bit wary of any ordinary household cleaner because of the chemicals. There are several advertised on the web specifically for "old" memorial stones. If you are unsure ask a stonemason they are the people to ask. Most just use water and elbow grease.

I have recently 'experimented' on several types of headstone - white marble, black polished marble, polished granite as well as normal stone type headstone and kerb rails.

A Fine grade wet/dry pad from the hardware shop, a PLASTIC bristled brush - saucepan cleaner type or small scrubbing brush, Fairy Liquid, water & a fine application of elbow grease!, 2nd application of just brush & water, and final rinse. Use fairy liquid neat or in a small plant sprayer type bottle as a concentrated solution in water.

20 minutes cleans up the surface so wording can be read & make it look tidy. 1 hour to do sides & backs of headstone & side rails, etc.

Be careful with more concentrated cleaning products as you do not want to damage the stone or 'overclean' them - Have you seen C3P0 lately (sorry, Bouton, Watt & Murdoch in Broad St).

Brian

Just had our betterware catalogue - apparantly the mildew / stone cleaner is seasonal - got to wait for the summer / Autumn catalogue !

Hi, My name is mark and I am the propitor of Rembering You Grave Tending, and I would like to answer some of the questions thrown up here about cleaning stones. Most white stones either Marbel or Granite will absorb the material that you are use to clean with, with this in mind use clean water and plenty of it. Because if you use water straight out of a bucket and keep on dipping your sponge in it when you have finished cleaning the exterior of the stone when you stand back to admire your work it will look like a bucket of dirty water. A lot of people use Bleach to clean stones but I would not recommend this but if you feel you have to it use thin bleach and wash it off Straight away (Also bear in mind what you are washing away a lot of the what you would call grime could be lichens and are a protected species and can incur a fine of £2000). To make your own cleaner which will NOT work straight away make up a mixture of Biological washing power and water and use a soft brush to clean the stone with. The only other thing to add is if you wouldn’t use it on the paint work of your car don’t use it on a stone so NO Wire brushes and No Metal Scrapers and ALWAYS leave yourself plenty of time to complete the job.
Finally if the memorial is made of Sandstone DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN IT LEAVE IT WELL ALONE.
Could I ask you all to take a look at my site please www.rememberingyou.org.uk.

Hello and welcome to the site graveone. The advice you have given is excellent. This is one thing I feel quite strongly about. I have seen many people cleaning gravestones with household cleaners and shudder to think what damage this will cause. As you have said some of these memorials are over one hundred years old. I think the service you give is very good and not overpriced. Thank you for your advice and good luck with your venture.

It is sometime now since I came to terms with the fact that I am the only one in my family interested in our family's history. I have tried everything to encourage my siblings, parents and our wider extended family to participate in the discoveries I have made but to very little success.

It is no surprise therefore that they also show little interest in visiting or helping to preserve the gravestones of Grandparents, Great Aunts or Great and even Great, Great Grandparents. I do what I can but time and distance prevent me from visiting more than, at most, a couple of times a year.

This weekend my husband and I travelled to Studley (warks) to tend 7 graves in total in 3 graveyards. The 3 graves in the Catholic graveyard are reasonably well cared for as some one, I have no idea who, cuts the grass around each stone and keeps the place looking neat and tidy.

However, it is a slightly different story in the other 2 sites. Some of the graves have the grass trimmed around them but the ones I was visiting were becoming very over grown and indeed one took us 20 minutes to locate because long grass had totally obscured it.

So my query is has anyone got any tips for how to deal with over grown weeds/grass or how to clean the gravestones themselves? it seems to have been a fashion in the 1930's-1970's for white marble curbs around the grave filled with green "glass" chippings and Granite Bronze Pittsburgh P. The white marble is now so discoloured with a black mould that the black letters which once stood out so clear from the white of the marble are now obliterated. Also the curbs on several of the graves are becoming loose, any ideas on what to do about this.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay for someone else to care for the graves and I am aware that some cleaners are not suitable or appropriate to use on gravestones. Would a suitable weed killer/moss killer be OK for around the graves and to treat the chippings. I saw a man cleaning his brother's white marble headstone and he told me he was using a well diluted patio cleaner with a scrubbing brush. Is that too harsh?

I would be really grateful for any advice and thanks for taking the time to read my very long post.
I just feel so sad that the graves are so neglected
Helen
For you who still take care of family cemetery plots. I have found if I use Oxyclean (the powdered) in water and scrub the stones that have that green mildew/mold on them it will take it off and keep them mildew/mold-free for a few years after the application. I always rinse the stones after with clear water. I use a good plastic scrub brush.

I know someone who is having a grave re-opened for burial of ashes and the marble memorial is stained, maybe this will solve the problem. The gold lettering has already almost gone so they will have to be careful there.
rosie.

I have just had my grandparents grave cleaned by the original stonemasons. (It needed some repair as well). I think that on the back of the invoice are notes for caring for gravestones. If there are I will scan and post on here.

Here you are the info from the back of my invoice. I had the stone cleaned because it needed removing for repair and so made sense to have it cleaned at the same time.

Attachments

• Gravestone care.jpg
    Gravestone care.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 14
Back