• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by zak14

1. Z

Birmingham Cinemas

What about the Mayfair Cinema on College Road, Kingstanding. Where the Cinema was is now the Mayfair Passage.
  2. Z

College Arms College Road Kingstanding

I think I remember an Angela Lagoe but to be honest I thought the name was from school not Watney Grove, perhaps my memory is not as good as I thought ! ;) I think Angela Lagoe was a similar age to me but I cannot remember where about they lived in the grove. Was their an Angela in the family ...
  3. Z

Peerless Stampings

Hello Stuart, The car would I guess have been owned by one of the Jordan brothers who were still involved with the company in 1976 when I started there as an apprentice toolmaker, They used to park a large expensive car outside when I worked their but I thought it was an Elvis but my memory...
  4. Z

The Old Crossways Pub Corner of College Road and Hawthorn Road

Hello, Does anyone know what they are doing to the building that used to be the Crossways Pub ? I see it is now being refurbished again. I heard a rumour that Witherspoons were buying it but went past the other day and new UPVC windows had been fitten which looked domestic windows, not the...
  5. Z

Name and Location of employment

There was a company on Rocky Lane in Aston by the old Ansell brewery that had made tubes for years (like all the other manufacturing companies it is gone now) In 1976 when I left school it was called Tubes Limited ande was part of the TI Group I know because I was offered a maintenance...
  6. Z

I was told of a shooting there long before the 70's by my Mother. I think it was in the 50's a Barman was shot by the husband of the woman he was having an affair with I believe.
  7. Z

Thats right it was the "Mac's" who ran it when I was a kid, didn't they used to race Greyhounds round the back of the Pub ?.
  8. Z

Hi Wally, Thanks, would love to see more if anyone has them ?
  9. Z

Hello. Has anyone got any pictures of the old College Arms pub on College Road, Kingstanding (now a Mc Donalds !) or any memories or stories about the old pub ?. I was born in Watney Grove over the road from the pub and lived there till I was about 28 but don't have any pictures of the pub...
  10. Z

Groups We Have Seen Live

Simple for Me ! Black Sabbath at the Odeon (x2) Magnum at the same place
  11. Z

Peerless Stampings

Hello Ardenhall, One of the Jordan brothers was still there in 1976, but I don't remember meeting him although I do remember he had a great big 3.5 liter Elvis car which he used to park outside the office entrance every day. I stayed there until 1979 them went to complete my apprenticeship at...
  12. Z

The daddy long legs club

Hi, Went into Daddy Long legs a few times in the 70's with some car dealer friends of mine, always on a Friday night after we had all had far too much to drink !. It was a bit of a rough place, but never knew it was owned by a boxer. John
  13. Z

Help / Advice Required, Finding Out More About My Dads War Service

Hello, After my Dad died in 2008 I decided to apply for his Service Records. Dad was not a boastfull man and as a child whenever I asked him what he did in the War he would just say "I was just a soldier like hundreds of thousands of others" and that he wanted to forget about it. I got his...
  14. Z

Guy Fawkes Night.....Memories

I lived in Watney Grove just off College Road Kingstanding. Me and the other kids would collect timber for weeks before Bonfire Night and build a fire on the centre of the Island in the middle of the grove. They would end up 20 feet tall or even higher. I remember, a) Mom and other adults making...
  15. Z

C brandaurs is saved...

Hello, When I left Perry Common Comprehensive in 1976 I went to the Birminghm Group Training Association in Edgbaston to find an Apprenticeship. They offered me 2, one at Brandauers in Newtown, and one at Peerless Stampings in Priory Road Aston. I asked my Mom (who was an old Summer Lane girl)...
Back