• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by yogimon

1. Y

Yogi, a members dog

Thank you Eric. and my sister of course. I absolutely love my early birthday present, it is so like my Yogi.
  2. Y

BhF Christmas Meet 2014 On the Day

Had a great time today at the Christmas meet up, and i even won a raffle prize. Many Thanks to Lyn for making this possible Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2015 to you all .. from Eileen
  3. Y

What does REME MEAN.

I was having a discussion with my mother in law about my father in laws time in the army. Denis Downing was a soldier when they met in 1943/44. I am assuming he served in the 2nd world war but i do know he served in Korean war . My mother in law has dementia so she cant remember much. Somethings...
  4. Y

Floatman

Thanks guys.. I thought it would be a boatman of some sort, but would these boatmen have been on the census or would they have had to have marriage certificates/ Birth certificates etc. If not then that explains why i cant find a marriage certificate for Mary Marsh and Elijah Barnett. Mary...
  5. Y

Floatman

Would anyone know what a Floatman is. I'm assuming it is something to do with the barges. I have a marriage certificate for a Mary Barnett dated 1901 to a James Mills. The certificate states that Mary was a widow but it has another word above widow that is not legible. It appears that it could...
  6. Y

Definition of “Brummie”, “Astonian” etc

My question is, do you concider yourself to be a Brummie or are you from the Black Country ? . I was born in Aberdeen St (off the Dudley Rd) in Winson Green. I class myself as a Brummie but i have friends who were born just over the way who insist they are from the Black country. I seem to...
  7. Y

Snow Hill Station in the 4os.

My mother-in-law used to be a porter at Snow Hill station, she worked there from approx 1940-1945 or maybe longer.I am looking for some old photos from around that time. My mother-in-law often tells the story about when she carried Clarke Gable's suitcases for him, although she did'nt know who...
  8. Y

Barnett Edwin elijah

I'm only guessing that his name was Edwin although it seems to fit. His wife was named Mary Marsh she married James Mills in 1901.
  9. Y

Barnett Edwin elijah

I have posted on here before to ask if anyone could give my some info on Elijah Barnett. I now think his name could have been Edwin Elijah I have found out some info regarding his military status. I know by his presumed wife that he must have died in 1901 or before because she re married in 01...
  10. Y

St John's Church Kate Hill Dudley

I am trying to find out some information on Mary Barnett who married James Mills in this Church. 1901. I have discovered that the Church is now closed. Does anyone know where the records would have been moved to.
  11. Y

Barnett Elijah Looking for 1900

I have also found A Elijah Barnett on the Soldier,veteran and Prisoner Rolls and lists. It doesnt give me much information but it could explain the word on top of the widow on the marriage certificate. Perhaps Elijah was a prisoner or missing in action.I am intrigued.
  12. Y

I have been looking for a birth certificate for William Barnett. (born approx), 1891 I thought it might give me the fathers name. and i notice that Mary's age differs . Could she have possibly given a false age on her marriage certificate? I can find a few William Barnett's but i'm not so sure...
  13. Y

Thanks for the info.. Dont know where Elijah came from, unless it was a nickname. But why would William put Elijah on his wedding certificate and not Emmanuel.
  14. Y

Try this one..
  15. Y

I will have another go at photographing the certificate but it says that James father was David Mills and Mary's father was Noah Marsh.
Back