• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Ycat

1. Y

Lucas Great King Street demolition

Dear Wal, thank you for the informative information on the demolition work at Lucas's, Great King Street. Lucas's was such a beautiful building. In the past we knew the name of companies just by the buildings, they didn't need a sign, ie dunlops, Midland Bank, Barclays, they all had their own...
  2. Y

BHF Xmas Bash (on the day)

Dear Lyn, first chance I have had to thank you for the lovely Christmas Bash. The hotel started breakfasts at 6 so we had breakfast at 6am, decided I needed to set off early because of the bad weather temp minus 11, the plant baskests I had bought for Christmas presents were frozem to death...
  3. Y

Danks, Annie

Re: Annie Danks Dear Carolina, I am so sorry I haven't got back to you before now, I can see by the messages you got answers to your questions. How ever getting back to the Danks names, I am also certain that there will be a connection somewhere, but as of yet I haven't tied the links in. My...
  4. Y

Danks, Annie

Re: Annie Danks Dear Carolina, my Mother was a Danks, and more than likely a connection. I will start sifting through the information that I have gathered on the Danks family, it could take a while, but just to let you know I am on the case. With kind regards Sherrill
  5. Y

Lucas Great King Street demolition

thank you Jackie for the wonderful memories. My memories of Lucas's is the clock, I lived in Berners Street and on occasions when the clock hadn't been winded on I would have to run to the bottom of the road to clock the time and then add a couple of minutes on and report back to my Mom, those...
  6. Y

Lozells Girls School

Dear Lyn, I remember Miss wood with affection, me and our Sandra took our bronze, silver and gold survival medals at Woodcock Street Swimming Baths and knowing our Mom didn't have the means to pay, she kindly paid for them and presented them to us in the school hall. I wish I still had the...
  7. Y

Farm street infants and juniors.

Dear Lyn, in the 2nd picture is the kitchen on the right handside of the picture. I remember the annexe to Farm Street, did we walk there or did a bus take us can't remember. Regards Sherrill
  8. Y

It was great you showing the photo's of Berners Street and Burbury Park (just how I remembered the park with the shed etc- can't believe it is still standing). Our David was amazed, he has had a very priviledged upbringting and it was nice for him to see the humble beginnings of my life. What...
  9. Y

Berners Street.

Mabz, no the name doesn't ring a bell. What number did Julie live at I lived at 2/72 Berners street. Family names I remember are the Yates, Glynn, Sugar, Facey, Bailey, Forester, Colier, Pearman, Lancaster and little old Nellie Riley who owned one of the little shops. Is the Pub the Duke I...
  10. Y

Berners Street.

Thank you so much for the pictures, what memories. If I am not mistaken the small shop in the picture is Nellie Riley's shop, but I have to say it was a shock to see the pictures of Berner's street because your memories as little girl are so different to when your are a middle aged woman. In...
  11. Y

Dear Lyn, thanks once again for replying. I have keyed in the information you have given me, but unfortunately no luck so far. I think it takes a while to navigate around these systems, I am sure eventually I will get the hang of it. I am waiting for more guests to come down for breakfast so...
  12. Y

Dear Lyn, thank you for replying and with the warm welcome. I lived in Berner Street and used to walk through Burbury Park to get to school. Do you remember Susan Rose, Christine Jennings, Stephen Briscowe, Tony Greenhill or Greenwood, Mary Flynn. After Hockley Primary I went to Lozells...
  13. Y

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

Hockley Primary school on Farm Street, Hockley, up the road from Harry Lucas Secondary Modern School and not far from Hockley Brook. The number 8 bus run near by. Thanks for looking at the thread. Still very new at replying on a forum. Edit. This is thought to be Farm Street School. Link to...
  14. Y

Hockley Primary School

Edit. Unfortunately the photograph has been lost from this thread. Super photograph, the picture brought so many happy memories back of Hockley Primary, I attended the school from 1959 until 1964 and was awarded a bible in 1964 from Mrs Smith the Headmasters wife. Is the school still there or...
Back