• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by www.midlandspubs.co.uk

1. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Camp Hill

Hi Janice, I was intrigued by this so have done a little digging myself. I have posted some notes at www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/stratford-road/ which may help - or add to the confusion :confused:
  2. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Villa Tavern Villa Street Hockley

Actually I can believe it - I went to Smethwick archives just before Christmas as they have the newspaper title I wanted to look at, well one edition in particular. They had every edition apart from the one I wanted to see. This happens to me all the time. I'm cursed.
  3. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

I suspect that only Astoness may be able to help with this as it is her back yard. I bought a CD of the 1845 trade directory but Page 84 is blank - I can't believe the page I actually want is missing! Of course, it includes Villa Street - I wanted to see if I could find anything before John...
  4. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

If only I had a database!!
  5. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

For those interested in Black country History

Thanks Mike I didn't know about the book so just bought it from https://historywm.com/podcasts/forging-ahead where Simon Briercliffe also has a podcast.
  6. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Wellington street, Winson Green

And just as I was typing that my inbox pinged with a bill for my SSL DV Certificate - that's the little padlock on the address bar to let people know my site is safe - just came in. A mere £106.79p for 12 months. I definitely am mad.
  7. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Wellington street, Winson Green

Quite. I keep shelling out fees to keep my site going but it is now £600 per year - I must be mad.
  8. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Well, I am plodding on with building my monument to Monument Road. Plenty to feast your eyes on so far - if anybody recognises some of the people please shout up! https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/monument-road/index.html A week ago I knew little about this road. Now I almost feel as...
  9. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Looks interesting but I cannot access it. It may be a restricted access site?
  10. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Seems to fit, though I would like to see more documents or map. Your contribution of the large-scale map was very helpful. I miss these maps! I could, if I could be arsed, go to the library to try and tie it all up neatly but I find the new library pretty much unusable and don't bother going to...
  11. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

I think I have got to the bottom of this ... though in need of some more work. However, I believe the Vine Inn became the Sir John Falstaff Tavern. I have written a little blurb on my theory at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/monument-road/sir-john-falstaff-tavern.htm
  12. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Humorous And Interesting Newspaper Stories about Birmingham

They actually did this in Carlisle - state-owned boozers!!
  13. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

I have done a little more on Monument Road. I have uploaded some information on The Edgbaston cinema. This is different from the info posted on http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/37361 - I don't know where that info comes from but I will leave you, the reader, to decide which version you trust...
  14. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Sorry, I forgot to add that the Vine inn sign fits in nicely with a nursery - there was also a vinery in the grounds of the aforementioned Spring Grove which wasn't far from the tavern. However, I do not know the exact location of the house. As Pedrocut posted, and I have seen the item to which...
  15. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Thanks Mikejee, I hadn't got this map - are they back online now? I did clock the info on Thomas Beach. Following his death, Sarah sold off the lower part of the nursery, suggesting it was quite extensive. I had also noted the name of Beach Street and wondered if it referred to this family or...
Back