• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by www.midlandspubs.co.uk

1. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Villa Cross

As you can see, Cradley had its own Aston Villa before your query ;)
  2. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Pubs Of The Past

Well, what do you know! Hope you are keeping well. Anyway, who is your British Oak ancestor?
  3. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Pubs Of The Past

What was his name? I have a history of the Duke Inn on my site at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/warwickshire/sutton-coldfield/duke-inn.htm Unlike the rest of my site, this was the work of somebody else - Yvonne Moore. I did a lot of the British Oak but, again, you have not furnished us with a...
  4. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

CHRISTMAS 2020

Hi everyone, just logged in to say Happy Christmas. I haven't been on the forum as I have been busy on other areas. Talking of which, I know the Black Country Museum is popular with many so if you fancy sight-seeing what's left of the region on the ground I have been doing discovery trails - for...
  5. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Memories of a lifelong pub man

You look a bit like Bill Bryson ;)
  6. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

One for the 021-ers or 0121-ers

0121-ers doesn't quite have the same ring, but this is how the old Tammies refer to those who moved en-masse from Birmingham to the new estates built around old Tamworth. And just in case you were one of those, here is a page I have been working on over the last week or so...
  7. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Memories of a lifelong pub man

I recorded Ron Welch some years ago but somebody sent a message today which reminded me of our discussion. It is here if you are interested if anybody wants to volunteer to do a similar thing in the new years post-lockdown then let me know.
  8. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Ansells Brewery

aha, have now included the attachment to #438 - strange nobody else seemed to notice! But does anybody know owt about the time capsule??
  9. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

IT'S LYNS (ASTONESS )BIRTHDAY TO DAY FOLKS.

Worro Lyn, hope yer 'avin' a bostin' day.
  10. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Ansells Brewery

I recently acquired some nice pics of Ansell's so I spent yesterday afternoon uploading a selection of them, with many enlarged images. This particular photograph is a curious one, and an event I was unaware of. It is a time capsule buried by the brewery when the new buildings were erected in...
  11. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Ansells Brewery

Hi everyone, I have not been on the forum of late as I have been busy working on other parts of the Midlands. I do a bit each day and it never stops. Anyway, hope you are all keeping well. I came across this item today .... it is a message from the Chairman of Ansell's to employees and dated...
  12. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Good music to listen to on U Tube

New Order claimed they had never heard of this record prior to recording "Blue Monday" .... I think it speaks for itself :
  13. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Tour de France 2020 - 107th. year

I quote : " One of the most accomplished riders of his generation, Valverde served a suspension in 2010 and 2011 after a bag of his blood, containing EPO, was DNA matched by Italian anti-doping officials who had taken a blood sample at the 2008 Tour de France. Valverde admitted nothing. He...
  14. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

The Angel Pub

James Samuel Johnson kept the Plough and Harrow on Bloomsbury Street, a public-house operated by Ansell's.
  15. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

The Angel Pub

John Henry Usher took over the licence of The Angel on 21st May 1953 and was succeeded by Charles Powell on 21st January 1954.