• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Wisey66

1. W

Simpson family (Jack, former boxer from 1940s)

Hi, oh really I wonder if it was the same boxing match? My eldest brother was born 1956, so he would have gone to that boxing match in 1963/64 - my other brother remembers visiting Jack and Alice at their home too and yes I have the Cooksey Lane address in my mum's old address book. Thanks, that...
  2. W

Thank you for the photos Gwynfor. We hope to venture up to Birmingham next year and try to find the places my ancestors lived. I believe one of the pub's in Birmingham used to have memorabilia up of Jack's boxing days, but whether it is still there or not I don't know? My eldest brother...
  3. W

Ahh ok I see, thank you for this information...I'm really finding all of this family history very interesting and grateful for people's input with all of this, so confusing when they all have the same names too! Thanks again for this :)
  4. W

I've just noticed in the article it is William Astle not Thomas, so not sure if that makes any difference? Here are some photos of my Great Aunt Alice with my Great Uncle Jack Simpson and my family, i.e. my mum and dad, brothers and Jack's brother Alfred and my nan, this pic was taken in the...
  5. W

Hi Gwynfor, that's strange that Alice Astle's mother was also called Mary Cain, Mary Cain is definitely appears the mother of my grandad Alfred Simpson and John (Jack) Simpson and the other brothers? I did wonder if Thomas Astle was a relation of Alice with George Simpson who was the eldest son...
  6. W

Oh my word this is fantastic to read and does confirm my heritage albeit a mixed bag! I cannot thank you enough for sharing this information with me, it tells me so much about my mother's side of the family and I didn't realise boxing was passed through generations..my mother always watched the...
  7. W

Yes I understand there was also a cyclist called Jack Simpson and that's amazing you met him and beat him in races!
  8. W

Thank you for this, much appreciated :)
  9. W

Thank you for this, I believe my brother read about this some time ago and this is when we started wondering if these Simpson's were related to my grandfather...which I just need to link up records, but it's kind of looking that these are our ancestors - due to other info received of where he...
  10. W

Actually just looked at Carl Chinn book again and found a section about an Alfred Simpson, from 1886 involved in Aston Sloggers, sent to prison etc. for crimes, imagining this could have been my Great Grandad's George Simpson's brother or something? Need to investigate further with this Alfred...
  11. W

Oh Wow, now we've have spoken about this as a family and wondered if the Simpsons brothers were linked to the Aston Sloggers/Peaky Blinders. This is absolutely fascinating and a bit mind blowing but thank you for sharing this with me. I do believe this George Simpson is my great grandfather and...
  12. W

Ahh ok thank you, I know years ago it seemed quite common that people didn't use the names they were born with, we came across this on my father's side when trying to track down family members, which can make it confusing or lead you down the wrong path! So appreciate everyone's input :)
  13. W

Thank you, this really helps piece together my mother's side of the family - I imagine my Great Uncle Jack Simpson was perhaps legally named Joseph? My Grandad Alfred was born 1902 but can look back on all of this further now...I didn't realise there were so many siblings.
  14. W

Blews Street

Thank you for these all information is gratefully received :)
  15. W

Blews Street

Oh wow this is really interesting, thank you so much, I believe George Simpson mentioned in this paper cutting is my great grandad...this is really helping piece together our family tree...thank you!
Back