• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Wine Lover

1. W

Pretty

Hi Folks, Only just found the thread. I, too, have researched the PRETTYs. I have about 120 of them. Violet Joan PRETTY was my 8th cousin once removed. Cheers
  2. W

- Hudson Family - Hockley

Can I suggest that after you have gone through the various indexes (such as the GRO, FreeBMD) search engines with the exact names you try with variants, etc, switched on? Then try silly things - I found one census with Priscilla clearly as 'Prissila' and Samuel as 'Sammual'. And that's before...
  3. W

Grinney Family

Hi, Only just found your post, thanks to mikejee putting a HANDS in the electoral rolls. Actually Harry Hands GRINNEY, born around 1877, probably in Balsall Heath as that is where the family lived for many years. Francis Thomas GRINNEY, 1850 married an Ellen Elizabeth TOLLEY in 1870...
  4. W

HANDS in Aston, Handsworth, Ladywood and ???

Hi bewdley, Sorry not my HANDS, but I do know about them. Well they might be mine, it would take a male line DNA test to prove, as I have failed to find the connection. Equally I can't disprove them either. The HANDS (pleural - for there are two marriages ) of Hanbury are on the edge of...
  5. W

Cycle makers in Greet, Yardley

Thank you all for replying. I had a red DAWES bike when I was a kid up north. Seem to remember a 'gold' emblem/badge on the front. Didn't know the Co-op made bikes as well as everything else. Cheers Wine Lover
  6. W

Cycle makers in Greet, Yardley

Hi Folks, A number of people I'm researching, RONDEAU and PRETTY, lived around Weston Lane, Greet. According to the 1911 census they had various trades in the cycly industry. Please does anyone know which company(ies) were around there at that time. Kind regards Wine Lover
  7. W

Sorry, on the way out, but try putting "Ebenezer HANDS", with quotes in to Google and with and without Birmingham. Either there were two Ebenezers in the trade, one in London and one in Birmingham or one moved. Or perhaps the name went through several generations. There's a nice Pathe News...
  8. W

Biddle/Hands

Re: Hands/biddle Hi Dave, Where was your William HANDS, 1821-1897, born please? Wine Lover
  9. W

Hi, Apart from getting a certificate or tracking down a church register for the marriage then ... Applying a little sideways thinking, then this is a possibility for Polly providing Polly = Mary From the 1881 then Polly was 22 years in 1881 and born in Aston. Thus giving 1859 as a year of...
  10. W

Me again Polly, If you use Ancestry.co.uk (Ancestry.com with world connections) they have recently started tagging search names with saved census pages. Under Member Connect some even have publicly viewable family trees. Contact is via secure personal messaging. (To the right of the census...
  11. W

Hi Suzanne & Polly I have just had a look at the 1901 again, since the only likely family in 1891 I can find had an Elizabeth aged 9. If, in 1901, she was aged 19, rather than one, then her position in the table is correct. 1891 RG 12/2375 Folio 101 Pg1 62 Bromsgrove St. (just off the A38...
  12. W

Hi Polly, Sorry didn't have time last night - very slow broadband! :cry: Given that Suzanne has the right fella, then I have him in the 1911. The address is now 138 Hampton Street, Birmingham - parish of St. George. His mum had died, so James William, brass founder's warehouseman, was left...
  13. W

Hello Polly, Sorry Harold isn't known to me. :( Yet! Can you give me some details: Age, year and place of birth and, if possible, some census data. Then I'll do a bit of digging. Kind regards Mike
  14. W

Thursfield William /Evelyn nee Hand(s)

Re: William Thursfield/Evelyn nee Hand(s) Hi Susan, I may or may not be able to help with your HANDS. My lot moved in from Kings Norton and Bromsgrove. I have a large database and several trees. If you could let me have some early HANDS names, addresses and date I will have a look. Are you...
  15. W

Hi Allen, I found an Annie L. HANDS in the 1891 census living at No. 3 Back 5 Gerard Street, Aston Manor, Parish of St.Paul was 9 years old. Father John was 55 and a widower. Brothers Ernest H 14 yrs and Walker 12 yrs. There is absolutely no guarantee this is the right family. Ask the...
Back