• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Welshnwobbly

1. Welshnwobbly

Joseph Allday, Warstone Lane Cemetery

There is an open day at Warstone Lane Cemetery tomorrow (September 16) where you could get some help and assistance. Someone helped me find my relative who died aged five. What was the Argus Libel proceedings? Is that report you very kindly attached for us all to read specifically about...
  2. Welshnwobbly

WELSH CAPEL OUTSIDE PUB

MANY thanks to everyone who hosted the social meet-up at the Bull pub on Saturday. I am enjoying reading Birmingham The Sinister Side, my raffle prize. I noticed the Welsh language on the sign outside the church directly opposite the pub (picture attached) when I went out for a breather and a...
  3. Welshnwobbly

EASTER MEET UP DIRECTIONS

Hi all, I will be at the one in Broad Street. I can easily walk to that pub and as it appears to be near Digbeth is handy for the return trip via National Express that night. I look forward to meeting many Brummies with similar links to get greater insight and understanding about my lowly...
  4. Welshnwobbly

Hi Lyn, I'll be at Birmingham Central Travelodge from 5 April to 8 April. Thanks.
  5. Welshnwobbly

I am travelling from Newport, South Wales, to attend the Easter Meet-Up on Saturday April 8, 2023. I do not know Birmingham very well and will be relying on buses on the day. If anybody else is going and they can offer me directions or a lift from the city centre I would be very grateful...
  6. Welshnwobbly

FAIR COP AND ROBBER?

Thank you for these two. My feeling was that those three disciplinary matters were slight and not very troubling. He wasn't taking back-handers or engaging in some of the behaviour some cops engage in today and none of that would have been terribly controversial or warranted his dismissal. Did...
  7. Welshnwobbly

FAIR COP AND ROBBER?

Hi, Thanks very much for this. Can I ask where you got this added information about this Joseph Gibbs's disciplinary record in West Midlands police from? Also, can I now be certain that this Joseph Gibbs was NOT my relative?
  8. Welshnwobbly

FAIR COP AND ROBBER?

Many thanks for this. I was very surprised to find a West Midlands Police entry certificate at all. I have no knowledge of any other areas where this has been done. Certainly not here. I presume that the fourth floor at the library obtained these and digitised them themselves in that Wolfson...
  9. Welshnwobbly

FAIR COP AND ROBBER?

My ancestor Joseph Gibbs appears to have been examined to join Midlands police in 1840 and later has two convictions for larceny at criminal court. I cannot tell if the certificate (attached) meant that he definitely joined the cops or was just passed fit. I note that he is described as "single"...
  10. Welshnwobbly

Gibbs, Joseph. At Debtor's Prison

Many thanks to you all for your help. This helps me to find him in prisons. I was very interested to read on this forum yesterday the post from the man researching Winson Green prison and the appalling incidents of abuse and cruelty to prisoners by the governor there. It really does stink.
  11. Welshnwobbly

Gibbs, Joseph. At Debtor's Prison

My great, great grandfather Joseph Gibbs, a brass founder, grocer and provisions dealer, of 136 Lawley Street, Birmingham, had to appear as insolvent on November 13, 1852, at 10am at the County Court of Warwickshire after some years earlier being imprisoned for six months for stealing paper...
  12. Welshnwobbly

2020 BHF NEW YEAR MEET UP

I'd like to go but will know for certain nearer the date as will have to arrange travel from south Wales.
  13. Welshnwobbly

Martin Billing & Son

Hi, Many thanks for that. All it said in the Aris Gazette was "property of Martin Billing" so I assumed there was only one Martin Billing. Now you seem to be saying there were two Martin Billings who sold paper? It's very difficult to get absolute accuracy.
  14. Welshnwobbly

Martin Billing & Son

Joseph Gibbs, one of my relatives, appeared at Birmingham Boro Sessions on August 2, 1847, and was sentenced to six months in prison for stealing five quires of paper, the property of Martin Billing. I was on the fourth floor of the library yesterday and found it in Aris's Gazette, a weekly...
  15. Welshnwobbly

ALCESTER UNION WORKHOUSE

Hi Thanks for your interest. Maria and Mary are frequently miss-transcribed from Census documents. My understanding of Census information is that it is based on a reasonably well educated person chosen and paid by the state as their official to go house to house with pen and form to ask who is...
Back