• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by wallyb71

1. wallyb71

Old street pics..

Hello Eric, I was referring to all the housing I saw in the pictures that Astoness posted from the Sixties, But as you say most of all the housing from back then has been replaced. Thanks for your reply.
  2. wallyb71

Old street pics..

3. wallyb71

Old street pics..

When I look at all these old brick houses in your pictures Lynne, it saddens me to think there are people still having to live in them. Up the back yards, dirty looking streets outdoor tiolets, rooms so small you can hardly move around in them. They should all be Bulldosed and new ones built...
  4. wallyb71

Old street pics..

[ QUOTE="Astoness, post: 430263, member: 2686"]dennis howell tries out his loud hailer at the back of his coventry road committee rooms dated 1961 and 2 pics of church lane aston dated 1969
  5. wallyb71

Summer Lane Pubs

6. wallyb71

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

I live in Lake County which is north of San Fransisco
  7. wallyb71

Reading through these posts brought back a lot of memories for me. We lived on the corner of Esher Rd in Kingstanding moved there from Vauxhall. From our front window we could see down Cooksey Lane almost to the bottom where Brockingtons store was. After an air-raid we would go around the...
  8. wallyb71

Great Hampton Street

I used to work at Cannings, in the engineering dep't across from the Gothic Pub, started when I was 14yrs old, left in 1953 to come to USA. Started in the engineering dept working with Archy Bellamy finished in the Xylo Shop making Plating Barrels. I remember a Mr Walker was the Supervisor of...
  9. wallyb71

Inkerman St Vauxhall

Hi, Jim, Sorry I don't recall that name also he would have been six years older than me, but thanks for posting that. Wally.
  10. wallyb71

Old street pics..

I would still like to see a photo of Alma Crecsent, Vauxhall when the houses were still there. We used to live at 27 untill we moved into the new houses in Kingstanding. Thankyou. Wally
  11. wallyb71

Summer Lane Pubs

My Brother-in-Law used to run a pub on Summer Lane called The Bull. His name was Bill Underhill does anyone remember him. ?? He was my Sisters husband. Have a nice day, Wally
  12. wallyb71

I remember when I was at Peckham Rd School. I was 13yrs old. The Woodwork teacher was a Mr Ludlow. There was this certain student who was a well known trouble maker. On this paticular day we were in the woodshop class and this teacher was trying to explain a certain way to use a Chisel.Anyway...
  13. wallyb71

Little Bromwich Hospital

Re: little bromage hospital I to was in Little Bromwich Hospital way back in 1940 when I was 13yrs old. I had Diptherea and was ready to pass out of this world. I remember there used to be air raids at night when the German bombers came over and the nurses had to rush around the ward covering...
  14. wallyb71

Hi! Roy. Thats exactly how it was at our house on Esher Rd in Kingstanding. My Uncle Alf played the spoons and he showed me how to do it. Here in the USA my wife and I used to go to a dance at the Legion hall every saturday night and I used to play the spoons when everyone was dancing and the...
Back