• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Virginia

1. V

"Brickwall" ancestors - my approach (a.k.a. "the 10 mile rule")

Love it!! My step-great-grandmother (2nd wife of my g-gf) started out as a "ball maiden" in the Cornish tin mines (maybe around Redruth, Cornwall but can't remember). Somehow over the years she worked her way into becoming a nurse / midwife & a matron of the Devon Nurses Training Centre (not...
  2. V

ALL settlers/immigrants in Canada came/come from Europe, Asia, China etc. including our "First Nations/native Americans", who were themselves ALSO from Europe/Mongolia via Siberia! (but they prefer to ignore THAT piece of their ancestry). In the area I live in the nearest town to the west (5...
  3. V

"Another reason for movement, in agricultural circles, was that a farm could only be inherited by one - usually the eldest - son,as there was insufficient to support more than one family. This meant other sons who intended to be farmers had to find another farm for purchase or rent (most...
  4. V

Yes indeed you have a great point & that's why I mentioned the fact that my ancestors were old home-bodies! Everyone else seemed to be on the move but it wasn't until my great-grandfather in the late 1800's that they decided to be adventurous!! The point I wanted to make was that present-day...
  5. V

Just wanted to add a bit here b/c of something I discovered this morning. My Bowen ancestors have lived in or around Birmingham since about 1736 but I'm having trouble locating the 1736-ish ancestor. Someone reminded me that the ancestors DID travel & perhaps mine did too. This was even though...
  6. V

Accuracy of information on a headstone?

Thank you for that great example!! One would think that such errors wouldn't happen nowadays but it sounds like unfortunately getting names/dates incorrect was & still is fairly common!! The only thing I base some dates on (such as my great-grandmother's) is that I have the piece of paper my...
  7. V

OK, and yet another dumb question! IF the ancestors stayed in the same parish from birth to death (which mine did) couldn't the curate or rector just go back in the parish BMD registers & check when the person was baptized? That seems to me to be a very logical thing to do but don't know what...
  8. V

Another thought that just occurred to me! Since "my" Thomas Bowen was born from 1732 to 1736 can I then assume that the year-dates given on the Marriage Allegation for Thomas & Sarah would be accurate since the Julian calendar was still in use at that date? It would only be AFTER 1752 that...
  9. V

Tell me about Tell me about the inaccuracy of census data b/c I came across a real doozy with my great-grandmother, Mary Emma Williams who married Howard Prime Bowen in England & then moved to Canada. I have photos of what we KNOW was the Bowen family plot in Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal...
  10. V

Many, many thanks for that link Radiorails!! That possibility had been at the back of my mind after spending a couple of days searching for Thomas Bowen 1732 to no avail so I'll have to sit down with some paper & a calculator & see how much the dates I've got change using that information! I...
  11. V

Yes, I know about that marriage however on the Marriage Allegation & Bond it says Thomas's age was 28 in 1764 & Sarah's was 22 which puts the birth dates at about 1736 & 1742. HIS baptismal year is within reason but that 8 year age gap on the Marriage Allegation is quite leap from 8 years to...
  12. V

This is probably a dumb question but how accurate is the information on a headstone? One ancestor I'm researching is buried in the St. E. Church, Yardley cemetery & his headstone says: "T.B. died (date)1807 aged 75 years". I did the math & T.B. according to the headstone was born in 1732. I...
  13. V

Birmingham, Saint Martin parish records for 1736?

Oh yes indeed - "religious sects" is a term I know much about since one paternal ancestor in Ontario, Canada, belonged to what is nowadays considered to be a "cult". It was the "Plymouth Brethren". My great-grandmother was the daughter of a Unitarian minister & the baptisms in Canada were in the...
  14. V

I also have to give a huge thank you to all the people who helped me out here because I MAY have found the "Thomas Bowen" I'm tracing. In my bins of The Bowen Hoard that was passed down through the generations, there's a letter to my grandfather who in 1939 wrote relatives who lived at...
  15. V

We have to hope though that the children were baptized within a month or two however, I've just come across some ancestors who waited a year, two even THREE years to baptize their children. My grandfather & his siblings were actually baptized DECADES after their birth when the family had...