• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by valeboy

1. V

Sewage farms

As kids during the summer when the sewer level was low, we used to scramble down the steps of the outfall sewer and get frogs from the water in the bottom, then we would go home for a sandwich:) the overflow was capped off around 1972 when the Kingsbury road was made dual carriageway, the tunnel...
  2. V

Bagot arms

I see, the diggers have moved in now, it looks like the building of flats is about to commence, never went in the Bagot, that would have been a silly thing for a Vale Lad to do in the 70s
  3. V

Valor Heating

I was there then, it was certainly an unusual place to work, but, there was a lot of heritage.
  4. V

Valor Heating

Worked there for 12 years 1990-2002, what an education, complete overhaul of a medium sized engineering company.
  5. V

Bluebell Wood

We had our Bluebell Woods, just off Walmley Ash Road, facing what is now Asda, and Homebase at the top of Cheswood Drive.
  6. V

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Ah yes Sutton Park, the hot summer of 76, I'd just left school then, and was dodging gainful employment. Talking about rafts, when Kingsbury Road was being made into a dual carriageway circa 1971 the new road bridges that were being built required girders to be pile driven into the canal towpath...
  7. V

Cincinnati, Kingsbury Road.

I also worked at Schweppes 1979-1989.
  8. V

Castle Vale

Hi Alan, I can answer this question for you, the Trees was at the junction of Manby Road and Insworth Drive, you would have left the towpath by the Cincinnati Factory, the moorings were behind the Drome Café which is still there. There are now houses on this site. Regards
  9. V

Pype Hayes Park

Seeing the old photos is great, as a kid I spent many happy hours there.
  10. V

Castle Vale

Yes, the number of pupils in my class at the Comp (1971-1976) changed weekly as various individuals were wisped off to various correction institutions.
  11. V

Castle Vale

Yes, I'm afraid the vale lads were not too welcoming of what they saw as strangers, particularly after dark. The Hare and Hounds had a small contingent of Vale lads in the bar, as did the Boat. The gaffer of the boat mid/late 70s was a guy surnamed Cregan, his daughter Liz worked behind the bar.
  12. V

Jam factories

I have no specific details of the Jam Factory, but my father who came from Aston used to tell me when coming from Aston to watch the aeroplanes at Castle Bromwich Airfield, there used to be a Jam Factory and a Soap Works facing the Tyburn House on the corner where the Snooker Club is (the Castle...
  13. V

Brookvale Park & Witton Lakes

Does anyone remember the gully that ran between the allotments, and Perry Common Comp, past the Wyrley Birch Estate. As a kid I can remember the smell of the fires that the allotment owners always seemed to have on the go, and I used to jump in the air to try to see over the hedgerow, on...
  14. V

Showcase Cinema

I am led to believe it's replacement is being constructed on Chester Road, by the new Selco opposite McDonalds.
  15. V

Farm Street Hockley

Does anyone remember the people who lived in the building in the photo, in post 159 by Astoness. My Father in law and Mother in law lived on the middle and top floors after getting married in 1955 up until the early sixties, I am told the bottom floor was a doctors surgery, and you could exit...
Back