• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by uncle albert

1. U

Isaiah Baker. Tough Nut To Crack!

I have the same feeling about this couple. It's the only birth that I can find that fits. Incidentally I did trawl through all the Newcastle under Lyme births too. Believe it or not my Find my Past and Ancestry subscriptions both ran out today, so I must resubscribe before I can carry on with...
  2. U

I'm sure that the Henry Holt you have uncovered is the son of Sophia. Fortunately for me, as I am primarily looking for just mothers and fathers, Henry doesn't really come in to my field of vision as it were, but I am none the less grateful for your input, and it all helps to put meat on the...
  3. U

I didn't actually send off for the birth certificate. I was on the GRO site in the process of doing so when the details popped up on screen, saving me another tenner. It would seem that if you do a search of their indexes, the results of the search bring up the mother's maiden name. This is the...
  4. U

The Birmingham 1839 birth certificate shows Isaiah's mother's maiden name as Holt. I think we can safely call that a positive identification now. One would assume that given the ages of the other children, James was the father. It looks like poor Sophia died of childbirth complications after...
  5. U

Good evening all, and thank you so much for your hard work. I am very grateful to you all. What a carry on indeed! So many twists and turns, possibilities and doubts. Could he have been a surviving twin for instance. I'm not ruling anyone out at this stage, and I have no intention of throwing...
  6. U

Good morning all. Off to work now but a quick thank you to Alberta for this latest info. Sophia's death sits perfectly with the theory of her dying in childbirth. I think the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together. James probably unloaded Isaiah if not to the poor home, then to a...
  7. U

I guess it's possible that the poor home's records might be a mistake. It would be good to be able to see those admission records rather than the census. I'm going to have to sleep on it. Got a 4.15. am start tomorrow then a 12 hour shift. Last four shifts before I break up for Xmas. Back...
  8. U

I've just re-read this post, and noticed the fact that James was a widower. It's a very valid suggestion of yours that Isaiah's mother's death might have been responsible for him ending up in the poor home. Just to make it clear; the 1851 census shows 4 children. Frances b.1830, obviously to...
  9. U

Thanks all for your input. Very interesting to see the marriage to Ann George, as I had searched for that without success. On the 1851 census James the boiler maker is sharing his house with his mother in law Ann George. Another coincidence is that along with Isaiah, there seems to be no sign...
  10. U

I thought it might be Warstone Lane but I've scrutinised the original image, even flicking backwards a page or two, and I'm sure it says Warston Road. The transcription says Werston Road. At this stage Lyn I wouldn't rule out the lad in the poor home. The boiler maker father on the 1851 census...
  11. U

It most certainly is the correct Isaiah. I'very managed to find a James Baker occupation Boiler maker on the 1851 census, born 1805 Newcastle on Tyne. His wife is Ann born Bham, and they have four children but no Isaiah. They were living at Warston Road Bham.
  12. U

I,ve just received the certificate. The details are: Isaiah Baker, Age 23, Scale Beam maker, father's name James Baker occupation Boiler Maker. Mary Ann Smith, Age 21, father Jacob Smith occupation Blacksmith. Witnesses were Jacob Smith and Louisa Smith. There we have it. More questions than...
  13. U

Thanks Lyn. Our money is safe! The birth certificate clearly states Smith as the mother's maiden name. I was going through the process of ordering it online from the GRO, and just as I was about to order it the details popped up, saving me a tenner. I have just ordered the marriage certificate...
  14. U

Of course! How stupid of me to have overlooked Alice's birth certificate. I'll order the birth certificate first, and find the spouse that way. I'll know for sure which wedding certificate to order then. Time to place your bets. My money is on Smith, based purely on sod's law. Many thanks again...
  15. U

Morning all. I think I needed that little nap. Yet another good shout with Emily, Liz. I hadn't made that connection either. I'm going to sort out the Wedding certificate today, so I will of course post the results when I get them. To answer your question Alberta; Isaiah's daughter Alice...