• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Trees

1. T

Ghost signs of Birmingham

I have a reference given by the firm of Cadby & Sons Ltd. Barr Street for my mum dated February 9th 1940 signed by L A Willing Director. Mum must have worked in the Lacquering room from Nov.1938-Feb 1940 May I use the photo of the building with mums profile please?
  2. T

Blakeland Street Little Bromwich

I think the Street was built between 1851 and 1857 calculated from the birth of the children of the Sedgley families and when the first child was born in Birmingham rather than Sedgley.
  3. T

Many thanks that is a great map showing the earlier situation. My father was born in Stechford which I assume is the Stichford on the map
  4. T

I wonder can you clear up another mystery about the street please? Was it in Small Heath or Little Bromwich? It seems a daft question but you have mentioned it here "In 1868 the only relevant one is Benjamin given as Scrap metal dealer , Blakeland St ,Small heath and as general dealer, Little...
  5. T

wow that is all extremely interesting especially having Charles in two pubs at the same time maybe he held the licences but had a tenant in one of them.Thos has all been a big surprise to the cousin who knew nothing of this connection even though he grew up fairly close to Blakeland Street. I...
  6. T

Many thanks for your reply. If you follow the various people in the road on other censuses you will find they all claim to be metal dealers or travellers or metal collectors at various times. This is an extract of the 1871 census. My Cousin's husband decends from one of Benjamin FLAVELL's...
  7. T

The 1871 census shows a great number of the housholders in Blakeland Street were born in Sedgley Staffordshire and were Metal Dealers. Does anyone know why they all came to this street? Was there once a travellers camp here? Was there a metal yard here? Were the houses owner ocupied or rented...
Back