• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Tony B

1. Tony B

Ian Lavender RIP

Don't give him your name pike.... best gag I ever heard in my life ... R.I.P. mate.... Last of the army....
  2. Tony B

Stechford Area

I am not surprised of your dad's pub games skills... Try asking a young person or a someone in their thirties if they fancy a game of crib , cards or billiards.... they would look at you if you was from another world..... but , they would play space invaders with you... lol....
  3. Tony B

Stechford Area

I bet he was a good darts player though..... It's a sad sign of a generation change of social life , with the club's disappearing and community centres closing , where does the youth and young people go ? Even the pubs are closing at a alarming rate.... I suppose , with all the new I T gadgets...
  4. Tony B

Stechford Area

Hi.. That was the first thing I noticed...... I have frequently used that establishment many times in the past.. however it may be the only social club left in that area.... I know Lea Hall Legion is still operating , Parkinson's social and the Gardeners social have closed ..... all great...
  5. Tony B

Rivers: River Cole

Hi... Just read your thread on River Cole pollution.... Back around early 90's , the Head teacher at Audley Road School got a contractor to install a sink unit in each of the classrooms. This was a great idea... now the pupils can wash their own paint pots/brushes and craft items...
  6. Tony B

Stechford Area

Fantastic pic's.... Can't stop looking at the sweets for sale... Rolos, Opal Fruits, Toffos.... They are not that size now !
  7. Tony B

Coleshill Manor & Elizabethan gardens

Thanks for the info.... We will definitely be in attendance on the 11th.... I have spoken to around 10 friends and family today and are local to Coleshill and they too hadn't a clue about the Castle.... I am still shaking my head about this one..... Such a mystery why so many people have...
  8. Tony B

Coleshill Manor & Elizabethan gardens

Well...they say you learn something new every day ! I have lived not far away from coleshill and indeed I watched the programme on the Manor , but I hadn't a clue or heard about Maxstoke Castle.... Thinking about it the BBC didn't either , or surely they would of mentioned it in the...
  9. Tony B

Midlands Electricity Board MEB

Hi... This thread has brought back some child hood memories ! My late mother worked in the restaurant there and on the afternoon tea trolley runs .... It was a ideal job for mom , very local as we lived just up on summer lane... In the early 60's me and our sis used to go to the kids...
  10. Tony B

Ansells Brewery

Hi Covroad... The Raven pub hasn't changed... Still pop in for a pint , when I am in the area.. The pub gardens at the rear are right next to the River Cole.... Many memories drinking in the Bar , Lounge, and the ' the big room on the side ' It is one of the last of the biggest pubs with...
  11. Tony B

MERRY CHRISTMAS BHF 2022

Merry Christmas to everyone
  12. Tony B

Help to ID the location of a photo of Prince George Inn

What a great picture.... but I am so bewildered by how clean the streets are !
  13. Tony B

Perry Common Comprehensive School 1964 to 1969

Hi Alf... I passed my 11 plus and was persuaded to attend Perry Common Comp... That was in 1969/70... I remember Mr Beale and Mr Conker.... I could not settle at the Comp , at the time my excuses were it was to far to walk and they didn't play football.... After several months there , I...
  14. Tony B

William Cowper Street School

Hi. Jacqueline... Welcome to the forum.. yes , you described the school well... myself was a pupil there probably about the same time. I can recall all the teachers you mentioned and especially the classrooms off the balcony even has a child I thought they were dangerous.... I lived over...
  15. Tony B

Mugshots

He is wearing a uniform and is anyone out there with WW1 knowledge who could identify the badge on his hat....
Back