• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Ton up boy

1. T

Lozells

In the sixties there used to be a couple of coffee bars not far from lozells ,on the Soho road. they were the Alzona and the Riviera. Does any one remember them?
  2. T

Lozells

Does anyone remember M & J Styles? on the Lozells road. It was a clothes shop in the early sixties that catered for the styles of the time. I remember buying a red and black striped casual jacket and a pair of grey pinkle picker shoes from there in 1961
  3. T

Smethwick

Hello John, the name Jimmy Hay rang a bell. I checked on my apprenticeship Agreement and the name and signature of the personnel manager is James Henderson Hay. Here are a few more names from E,dept in the 1960s that you may remember, E,dept Foreman Doug Barnes, E,dept fitters, Cyril Brown...
  4. T

Smethwick

Hello John, which department(s) did you work in? I was an "E" dept apprentice and had I stayed there I would have put the testing machines together. Best Wishes Ken Whitehouse AKA (ton up boy)
  5. T

Smethwick

Hello Shotie, I wonder if I knew your friend as our time as apprentices overlapped. I`m new to this site and I suppose it`s not prudent to reveal email addresses. Is there to your knowledge a way we could exchange email addresses? Ken (AKA) Ton up boy
  6. T

Smethwick

With regard to your comment about Smethwick not being at the start of the Industrial revolution and in particular Avery`s Starting in Deritend. Let`s not take anything away from the Avery site in foundry lane. After all just look at the work of three gentmen who used to work...
  7. T

Lozells

The full Name of the shop in Lozells road has come back to me now. It was M and J Styles.
  8. T

The Plaza's -Handsworth and Old Hill, The Ritz Ballroom- Kings Heath

Hello Dek, It was definitely 1963 I`m trying to pin the month down. Can you remember whether it was snowing at the time?
  9. T

Thanks for your comment. I too have Mark Lewisohn`s book and was surprised that I could not pin down the exact date when I saw the Beatles at the Plaza Handsworth. I hope that someone can pin it down.
  10. T

I saw the Beatles at the Plaza Rookery road Handsworth in 1963. It cost seven shillings and sixpence to get in. They were great. I wish I could remember the exact day and month. Can anyone remember please.
  11. T

Lozells

I remember a shop in Lozells road called M & Js it was great in 1961 for a sixteen year old. I bought a red and black striped jacket from there and a pair of grey winkle picker shoes too. My Mom was amazed that I wanted my trousers to be tapered to 12 inches at the ankle.
  12. T

Double Zero Club

Hello Steve, I used to go to Alex`s and the DZ in the sixties. A bunch of us "Oldies" still meet up at the cafe at HOar Park Craft Village CV10 OQU on Wednesday mornings. In the bad weather we mainly go in cars but on a good day there can be up to 150 classic bikes there. See you there ???
  13. T

Double Zero Club

Hello Bob, here is a little ditty about Alex`s. I would like to see the photo of the members of the Double zero club.
  14. T

Double Zero Club

Hello Bob, Come on now! Get your thinking cap on. You are not senile yet. I am the KW whose bonnie you bought back in 1964. I used to live in West Bromwich and I hristened you Rocker Johnson. Now do you know who I am?
  15. T

Alex’s Motorcycle club

Yes I remember Alex`s. I used to go there between 1962 and 1965. we used to meet there on our motorbikes and then go to coffee bars and cafes like the bridge cafe in Stourport and the Monica cafe in Tamworth. There are half a dozen of us old bikers still meet up on our bikes every Wednesday...
Back