• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Tippin

1. T

Christening 1832

Hi AEJordan, On the 1841 Census, the ages are rounded down to the nearest 5 years. So although it says John was born in 1786, he was actually born in 1782. I have his death certificate which proves this. John first ran the Jolly Bacchus which was on Peck Lane. In fact it used to be the old...
  2. T

Christening 1832

Hi, Have a look at the Warwick Record Office site, it has a free index to the Victualers Licence's (1801-1828). I am planning on going down at the end of the month, so hopefully I will be able to find John at Lower Temple Street (providing his eating house sold beer of course)...
  3. T

Christening 1832

Hi, I know that William Hill Jorden was the son of John Jorden. They were both Eating House Keepers, the numbers on Lower Temple Street may have changed to make No. 11, No. 16. I think that Elizabeth was the wife/widow of a Samuel Jorden, and I would say he is more than likley John's brother...
  4. T

Town Criers of Birmingham

Hi, Can any one tell me any information about the Town Criers of Birmingham during the 18th Century. I was told that my ancestor Richard Wooldridge (or Woolridge, or Woobridge, or Woodbridge) was Keeper of the Prison, Licensed Victualer, and Town Crier. Thanks for any Information, Tippin
  5. T

Bsa Factory 1900s - 1930s

Hi, I am looking for information on the BSA factory in Small Heath during the First World War. My great-grandfather William Tippin worked there during the First World War and was a tool grinder when his son was born in 1916. Has any sort of documentation survived for the First World War...
  6. T

Christening 1832

I know that William married Marira Houghton in 1851 and had at least two children, Sarah Wooldridge Jorden and Jeremiah Jorden. I do not know what happened to them. They could well have gone to America. AS for Mary, I know nothing about her at all.
  7. T

Christening 1832

Hi, Could any one do a christenening lookup for St Martin's for me? I am looking from a record I found on the IGI. I need to know where the family was living, and their father's occupation. The record in question happened on the 9th March 1832 at St Martin's. Their names are William Hill...
  8. T

St Margarets Ward End Lookups

Thanks, I will have to look through them next time I go up to the Birmingham Central Library. Are the records in the Archives only, or are they on microfilm as well? Stephen
  9. T

Burial 1753

Thanks for having a look for me. It certainly is the right Wooldridge, on some records it is spelt May, on other's Mary. Thanks one again Stephen
  10. T

Perambulator Factory

His name was Henry Tippin (or Tippins). As for date's, the first time he states he works at the Perambulator Factory was on the 1881 Census, the last on the 1901. He died in 1902, and was a journeyman blacksmith by that time, so perhaps the factory cloased, or Henry just lost his job.
  11. T

Perambulator Factory

Hi, One of my ancesters was a Blacksmith working in a Perambulator Factory. I was wondering if any one could help me indentify the name of the factory he would have worked at. He lived on Lower Essex Street and Tillingham Street, so I quess that it would have been around that area of Brum...
  12. T

St Margarets Ward End Lookups

Hi, Would any one know where I can look at the Parish Records for St Margaret, Ward End. I am trying to find Edward Jorden, who ran the mill at Ward End, and would have been born around 1692. Thanks for any help, Stephen
  13. T

Pictures of Ward End Mill

Thanks for the map. The date seems to suggest that my ancesters may have been running the mill at the time the map was made!
  14. T

Burial 1753

Hi, Can any one help me find a burial at St Martin, which I have been told took place in the year 1753. It was the burial of May Wooldridge (or Woldridge), wife of Richard Wooldridge. Can any one help me? Stephen
  15. T

The Old Crown Inn Deritend

Cromwell, On your first post, do you know how old the 2nd photo is. My Step-4th Great Grandfather ran the pub from about 1851-58. His name was Thomas Dayson. When he died, it past to my 4th Great Grandmother, who was innkeeper for a year before she retired. My 3rd Great Grandmother, Lavinia...
Back