• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Timbo90

1. T

aston sheds

There was never an LMS Jubilee named Kampala or any other LMS engine. The engine you sore was probable, Eastern region class B1 61002 Impala. A block of them were named after Antelope and Deer. I saw it a few times in New Street and Rugby going over the Birdcage Bridge on a Saturday afternoon...
  2. T

Childhood Memories Of Trains

They were only access line for the works, no through traffic was allowed, they were not running line, only certain engines could go in there because of the tight curves.
  3. T

The only rail access to the Gasworks was via Aston goods, then the shunting diesel push them into the gasworks, there was always a train load of empties which had to be taken back to the coalfield from where they came, I assume the same engine would have taken them back the day after being...
  4. T

I remember working coal trains from Wytchna Juc,( changed footplates with Toton engine men 18A) via Lichfield, Brownhills, Walsall, Bescot, Perry Barr, Aston, ending at Aston goods, light engine to Aston shed. Finish. The trains you describe might have been specials.
  5. T

As an Aston fireman in the late 50s early 60s I think the trains you mentioned was the Lichfield day pick-up. The coal trains were picked up from Lichfield after being left by Burton men who then took a train of empties wagons back to Derby. From Aston we used to travel light engine to...
  6. T

aston sheds

As a fireman at Aston Loco in "Jan1961" I remember my driver (Herbert Clement) and I had worked the night scotch 10.45 pm from New St to Crewe where we changed engines, our engine would be a "class 7 Scot" and a "class 8 Duchess" would take the train on to Scotland, we took our engine to Crewe...
  7. T

Sutton Coldfield to Stirling Motorail Car Sleeper

I was also a member of the SBLSC, about 1954-58 and went on many coach trips around the country, from shed to shed, always on Sundays, wonderful days.
  8. T

Pretoria Road, Bordesley Green

Does anyone know on what date these houses were bombed?
  9. T

Snow Hill Station

This was a rare cop. Photo by me in 1956. 6026 King John . This loco spent all its working life on "Paddington to Penzance" trains and was never seen in Snowhill, it was shedded at Plymouth Laira 83D. It was the last King I needed in my ref ,the train spotters dream. What memory's I have. Cant...
  10. T

My Nan's sayings

My Nan and Grandad, both born and bread in Hockley in 1890s. They never had a Dustbin, they had a Misskin, and the water never went down the drain, it went down the Suff.
  11. T

Pretoria Road, Bordesley Green

I was born in 116 Pretoria Rd 1942, Some of the houses (about 4) on the other side of the road were bombed in 1941, and as a young child me and my sister and other children used to play in the bombed buildings. The houses were rebuilt 1949-50 and now standout like a sore thumb from the original...
  12. T

aston sheds

Hi Dave89 You are right 58182, class 2F, Built in 1917, was an Aston Engine and it ended its days working in the Derby area. it was also the last survivor of the class, It was still at Aston when I left the railway in 1964. It was the engine I did my first firering turn on as a young Pass...
  13. T

aston sheds

Hello Ray T The only time I worked over that line was when I was a Pass Cleaner and I was loaned to Saltley shed because they were short of firemen. I was put on a banking engine at Washward Heath, a very old class 3F. That night we banked 2 heavy goods trains to Camp Hill where we dropped off...
  14. T

aston sheds

Back