• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by terry carter

1. terry carter

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

May 21 1916 the actual date
  2. terry carter

The 2/6th, along with the 2/5th, 2/7th & 2/8th Royal Warwickshire were originally raised in the opening weeks of the war as reserve battalions for the 1/6th battalion etc However the war office decided to send them to France in the newly created 61st Infantry Division. They went on active...
  3. terry carter

Bertram Thomas Williams Royal Warks..

Then there is the family published on 8 September 1916 in the Birmingham Daily Gazette
  4. terry carter

Bertram Thomas Williams Royal Warks..

found this in the Birmingham Daily Post published on 11 August 1916
  5. terry carter

10th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1918

I have taken this from the 19th Division HQ War Diary and it is the last but one page from a narrative of events undertaken by the Division from the 9 to 19 April 1918. Regards Terry
  6. terry carter

in the 1918 absent voters book there is a Cecil Aldridge A1298 serving in the 20th Bn KRRC with the address 2 back 25 Bristol Street. The photo above looks like a pre-war Territorial Camp so he may have decided to join another regiment during the war. I found no Cecil Edward Aldridge serving in...
  7. terry carter

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

Several Warwickshire County cricketers served in the Birmingham Pals plus these two former Villa players who served in the 3rd Birmingham Battalion.
  8. terry carter

Yes Steve it was the 1st Birmingham Battalion Sports Day in Sutton Park
  9. terry carter

Taken from the Birmingham Daily Post 6 August 1916
  10. terry carter

Ghosts One evening, ere the final fall of dark, I walk'd awhile alone in Sutton Park And view'd, with pleasure subtly mixed with pain, The old familiar land-marks once again. There, there before my memory-clouded eyes, I saw the shades of yesterday arise. Beneath the pallid summer-evening moon...
  11. terry carter

I have a few pictures, the small type, of the 16th Royal Warwickshire on active service that belonged to an officer of the battalion. Terry
  12. terry carter

Here is a picture of the drums and bugles platoon of the 3rd Birmingham Battalion. On active service these would become stretcher bearers. The soldier marked with an "X" is Hilary Arthur Reuel Tolkien the brother of J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings etc) As you can see the men are now wearing...
  13. terry carter

Hi Steve During 1915 Charlie Chaplin films were so popular that various Birmingham cinemas held competitions for the best Charlie Chaplin impersonator. No Doubt the Pals in your picture were doing the same. Terry (now I know who outbid me for this postcard on ebay!!!)
  14. terry carter

Members of the 2nd Birmingham Battalion (15th Royal Warwickshire) being inspected at Codford St Mary on Salisbury Plain. The picture was taken few days before they went onto active service in France on 21 November 1915. Terry
Back