• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by tayrich

1. T

Vivien Taylor

Wondering if anyone can help me trace my cousin Vivien Taylor who grew up in Naseby Road, Alum Rock. I don't know her married name, which is a big problem in tracing her. She lived in Bewdley at some point. Thanks
  2. T

Parisian Club Cannon Street

I still see this fella round the Shard End area. Actually saw him at the 55 bust stop last Saturday, obviously on the way to town as he looked immaculate.
  3. T

Cincinnati, Kingsbury Road.

I used to work next door a the Coca Cola Schweppes factory (long since gone) and remember the beautify kept gardens bordering the canal bank at the front of Cincinnatti
  4. T

Doctors

Talking of doctors in Shard End, mine was an old Polish chap called Dr Nitzke, who had his surgery in an old house in School Lane, near the junction with the Chester Road. The waiting room was the front room, only small. As soon os one patient left the back consulting room, the next one went in...
  5. T

Lewis's Department Store

I have fond memories of Lewis's as a child. The wonderful toy department on the 6th floor with the huge model train displays. The restaurant on the top floor, food was lovely and the views were too. The record store in the subway where you could listen in the booth before deciding to buy the...
  6. T

Stechford

I think I read somewhere once that Enoch Powell was born in one of the houses on Station Road, next to the railway bridge. Can anyone confirm this?
  7. T

the viaduct pub lawley street

This was my regular haunt for years when the Blues were at home. Sadly missed, cracking boozer.
  8. T

Castle Vale

The pool was on the other side of the fence to the factory. It is part of Plantsbrook nature reserve, still accessible now. It was I believe once an old gravel pit, hence very deep.
  9. T

comet pub hodge hill

I remember as a kid there was a slide on the hill behind the Comet. It was huge, never saw one that big. Wouldnt be allowed now due to elf n safety.
  10. T

City Hospital, Little Bromwich 1911

As a kid I regularly used to hear what is now Heartlands hospital referred to as Little Bromwich hospital.
  11. T

Castle Vale

I worked at the Schweppes factory from 1981 until it closed in 1989. I used to live in RAF dwellings the old RAF houses that backed onto the other row on the Chester Road. Those were dark days on the Vale, I remember walking to work past burned out cars,. Some poor soul was stabbed to death in...
  12. T

Baileys Cottages, Ward End

Hi, Thanks for trying to help. The head of the household was Maria Amelia Stokes, age 44, a widow, occupation 'working in fields' Others listed on the census are her children Amelia (my grandmother) age 19, William age 15, Sarah age 13 and Henry age 10. Also recorded is James Livesey...
  13. T

Baileys Cottages, Ward End

Hi, on the 1911 census, my grandmother was living a 1 Baileys Cottages, Alum Rock Rd, Ward End. Does anyone know exactly where this is, and are there any remaining signs? Thanks
  14. T

Alum Rock Road

My great Aunt lived on the corner of Jephcott Rd / Alum Rock Rd. Do you remember a Mrs Watson?
  15. T

Fisher & Ludlows factory

My mom Selina (Lena) Taylor worked in the press shop in the 60's and 70's. love to hear from anyone who knew her. My uncle Jim Hoban also worked there as a FLT driver.
Back