• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Taffy T

1. T

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Hi Steve and other lads. Hope the hangover was not too bad lol. Graham James I believe passed on quite a few years ago. I think he was best mates with Brian Price. He was always in a good mood and the only time I heard him complain was about his own hair. For me he set the standard for us to...
  2. T

Hi Steve Great to hear from you and great now you are on board so to speak. Happy Birthday for tomorrow. I think I remember Pete Collin. Wasn't he quite a quick sprinter. If it was him we use to train together. Very nice lad and a sad loss. Also I think you are right Ray Powell and Steve Allen...
  3. T

Hi Pugmitch - you were in the year below us at Lordswood but I knew quite a few lads who lived locally to the Selly Oak area in your year. We used to meet in the Brook pub in Selly Oak on a Friday night for many years. Do you remember Alex Bird who married and went to live in Scotland; Steve...
  4. T

Hi Paul - Great to hear from you too. Hope you are keeping safe during these strange times. You have remembered some of the stories I had forgotten. Yes Summers the most cruel English teacher around especially when he hit you with the latest copy of English Rideout. I remember that well. His...
  5. T

Hi Vic Thanks for this note. As I remember it Roger had a very funny but dry sense of humour and this comes through in your piece. Sounds like Roger did better than I did against Ralph. To lead an olympic runner was indeed an achievement. I never got close!! Didn't know 'The Dool' was also...
  6. T

Hi Delboy - Looked Mel up and he certainly played for Cardiff but apparently was a legend at Wrexham where he played and managed the club scoring the winner on his debut. His transfer from Cardiff was a club record fee (£15,000). Bet clubs wish they could buy quality players like him for that...
  7. T

Hi Malverian - Brilliant extract which proved my point about Mr. Jones denying some of these lads the chance to become professional players. As the report said the team became the best youth team in the city. I hadn't realised how good they were. Apart from Paul Turley and Bob Taylor, Mick...
  8. T

Morning Delboy and Roger - Yes football was taboo because of Jones the head of PE. I think he did the school a disservice as a lot of the lads were very good footballers and some would have made the district team at least when in the fifth year. I remember seeing the Kings Norton team play at...
  9. T

Hi delboy66 - Haha yes remember it well. When the football went down the slope from the playground at play or dinnertime the person who kicked down had to run the gauntlet with 'froggy'. Some went down the exit path towards Lordswood Road and then crept along the edge of the field to retrieve...
  10. T

Hi Vic - Yes I was and so sad to hear of his passing. He was a nice lad. His desk was close to me in the form class. Agree Paul Turley was an excellent right winger, very fast with a hard shot. Scored loads of goals. Thomson did have a bit of a temper but normally you would have to wind him...
  11. T

Morning Roger - Great you are in touch with some of the lads. I remember Dave Shelton well. He was in our German set and sat next to John Hill. Forget the teachers name but he couldn't control us unfortunately and my language skills went down the pan as a result. Ask Dave if he remembers when we...
  12. T

Hi All> New to the site. Marvellous what 'lockdown' does. Thanks for the memories I loved the school (Sept61-June66 - 1f; 2f; 3b; 4b; 5b) and hardly missed a day but not for the academic bits. I was into sport and so was the school. Even the bad times were good (well ok anyway) I had six of the...
Back