• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Sue Bolvary

1. Sue Bolvary

Aston Park

Mum's maiden name was Palmer. Her parents were May and Reginald Palmer. She was born in 1932. She had three sisters, Olive, Margaret, Doris & Beryl. Her parents passed away in the 1950s both aged in their 60s. She married Douglas Brownley (a sailor). We have been researching her family...
  2. Sue Bolvary

Aston Park

What number Holte Road did you live in? My mother and her family lived at no 30 Holte Road, before emigrating here to Australia in 1958. She always talked about Aston Hall.
  3. Sue Bolvary

British Korean Veterans (born in Birmingham)

I too have dad's records on all the ships he served on during Korea and before. I don't know what being stationed "at home means" though. I have dad's medals too. I don't know how the army worked though. I did read though from Wikipedia "One battalion would serve overseas, while the other...
  4. Sue Bolvary

The Crompton Arms, Handsworth

Hi there. I've just found out that I am related to Dave Wakeling of the Beat! Through Ancestry DNA testing, we have made contact with my grandmother's brother's family (Wakelings)! My father's mother died when dad was 9, in 1939 from peritinitis. His dad remarried and they lost contact with...
  5. Sue Bolvary

Woodhouse Road

Thanks for that. Yes he lived at no 22 with his parents and brother. He went to Woodhouse Road Junior & Infants School, but not sure if that still exists. It was interesting reading the register from the school, wondering what it was like for him when he started school in 1938. How things...
  6. Sue Bolvary

Woodhouse Road

Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to put this post so hope this is the correct spot. Does anyone have information on Woodhouse Road? I have found the school register for my father from when he attended the Woodhouse Road Junior & Infants School in 1938. He and his brother lived at 22 Worlds End...
  7. Sue Bolvary

Mum & Dad somewhere in Aston

Yes I agree it's a wonderful thread and a great forum. I have been able to find out a lot about Birmingham where my parents and many other ancestors came from, and lived and died, went through wars and brought up their families. I have never been there and still have relatives that I don't...
  8. Sue Bolvary

Mum & Dad somewhere in Aston

Thank you so much for your post. It's very interesting to know how weddings were conducted there. Mum and Dad were married on 1 January 1955 (which apparently then wasn't a public holiday). I have their whole album of pictures and have lovely photos of them outside the side of the church you...
  9. Sue Bolvary

Fish & Meat paste from the 50s and 60s

Yes I remember Peck's anchovette paste. We used to put it on our toast. Funny how it's called anchovette when it's only 4% anchovy but it's so tasty. You can still buy it here.
  10. Sue Bolvary

Your Claim To Fame

Hi Nico, I have Tricklebanks in my ancestry too (but may not be related to Annie). One is my my 5th Great Grandmother (born in Derbyshire). Unfortunately I've never met any famous people but our daughter went to school with Chris Hemsworth (Marvel movies).
  11. Sue Bolvary

Moving away but always a Brummie

Mum speaks Australian with a Brummie accent!
  12. Sue Bolvary

Birmingham Cinemas

Mum still mentions her time as an usherette in one of Aston's cinemas in the 1950s (don't know which one though). She's 89 now but reminisces often. Could have been the Astoria.
  13. Sue Bolvary

Dudley Road Hospital -Peter Walker

I've been reading this thread and then reading from workhouses.org.uk/Birmingham thinking just how awful it was then and how lucky we are now. I too, like many people, had ancestors that lived/died in the workhouse. I was interested in the history of the hospital and also interested to see...
  14. Sue Bolvary

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2022

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year from a very hot 40c degrees day Down Under here in Melbourne and hope for better times in 2022.
Back