• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by subotone

1. S

Bethal United Church War Memorial Small Heath

Wondering if anyone has a picture showing the war memorial at the Bethel United Church Coventry Rd Small Heath. Sadly the memorial which is in their car park is in a very poor state. The names are missing as is most of the main inscription. It would be great to get it restored and honour the...
  2. S

War Memorials

Hi David There is an A E Smith on the WW1 war memorial at St Edmunds Church Tysley very close to where Albrt lived in Foremans Road. Best of luck with your research Tony
  3. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

Hi Scrumper, Your uncle Arthur John Thomas Davies died on the 23/11/1940 not 2/11/40 you have quoted. See details on the Commonwealth War Graves Web site https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/3153421/DAVIES,%20ARTHUR%20JOHN%20THOMAS. Arthur aged 34 was married to Lily Davies both living...
  4. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

I take it your grandad was Alfred Cope killed during a raid on the 19th November 1940 aged 51. Also killed were his two 18 year old sons John & Stanley. Stanley died from his injuries three days after the raid at Selly Oak Hospital. Alfred's wife Maud survived this raid at 49 St Stephens Road...
  5. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

The Birmingham War memorial to the firemaen killed during WW2 can be viewed online at War Memorials On Line. Insert Birmingham Auxiliary Fireman then enter. https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/search. Tony
  6. S

G.E.C War Memorial

I have come across a picture of the G.E.C war memorial which looks like it was taken in the 60's. Subotone
  7. S

Birchfield Harriers WW1 memorial plaque

Hi Viv If memory servers me correctly there is a framed copy of the Birchfield Harriers WW1 Roll of Honour in their office at the Alexander Stadium. Tony
  8. S

Fire Brigade Information

Hi JJJ-3679 The West Midlands Fire Service Heritage Group has produced a World War 1 Centenary exhibition showing Birmingham Fireman killed on military service 1914-1918. The next display will be held at Marston Green library from Saturday 9th May to Friday 30th May 2015. What was his name & I...
  9. S

Fire Brigade Information

Hi For those of you trying to locate information on Birmingham Fire Brigade there is the West Midlands Fire Service Community Heritage Group. The Heritage Group has a museum at Aston Fire Station which contains Birmingham Fire Brigade, NFS, AFS & WMFS memorabilia. Run by volunteers it is open to...
  10. S

WW1 Centenary exhibition Olton Library

Hi Pathayward Thank you for your post. We hope to see you again. I will let the forum no of future events. Subotone
  11. S

Hi For those of interest in the Royal Warwick's & Birmingham Pals Battalions Terry Carter author of the book Birmingham Pals is hopeing to attend Olton Library on Saturday 25th April and will be available to answer questions on these and other Birmingham related WW1 questions. Hope to see you...
  12. S

Hi For those who are interested there is to be an exhibition at Olton Library Warwick Rd Olton Solihull from Thursday 23rd, to Monday 27th April 2015. The exhibition includes a display of WW1 memorabilia including battlefield relics, posters and information regarding Birmingham during the Great...
  13. S

G.E.C War Memorial

Hi Does anyone have any information relating to the G.E.C war memorial that was outside the Magnet Center in Erdington. I am trying to find out when it disappeared, was it stolen or moved elsewhere and who was recorded on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Subotone .
  14. S

Ada road school memorial.

Kirsty I have 3 John Harvey's listed non of which were killed in 1915. There is a John Harvey listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Site & Soldiers Died who was killed in action on the 20/06/1915 aged 21. This is B/1930 John Harvey 9th Bn. Rifle Brigade. Born London Enlisted Birmingham, and...
  15. S

Ada road school memorial.

Hi Kirsty If you give me your Great Uncles name I will check my records I assume he was killed during WW1 Tony
Back