• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by streamboy

1. S

Rover Sd1

I can remember the gas turbine artic lorry units coming in and out the factory , I think one was in BP oil livery. Did the gas turbine unit get sold to Lucas.
  2. S

Rover Sd1

Forgot about Carriers, I more than likely met you then. Funny story , I was walking through SD1 paint shop ground floor on patrol must have been bank holiday shutdown , when suddenly a piece of neatly cut Concrete fell to the ground two foot in front of me showering me with dust and debris ...
  3. S

Science Museum Newhall Street

The number 11 bus was like a banana always came in bunches.
  4. S

Went to think Tank once just after it opened, only once. Went to Newhall st hundreds of times, I think Birmingham through out the baby with the water again.
  5. S

Spent many hours at Science Museum Newhall st, I loved the steam rallies they had outside every year , inside all the machines would be working as well , fantastic memories. If I can manage it I will post some photos of steam rallies there over the years, not that hot on posting pics so no...
  6. S

Rover Sd1

My job at the Land rover was as a fire and ambulance officer, I started there in 1972 and worked there untill 1983. My duties included attending fires in a LWB 101 fire tender and accidents with a Range Rover prototype ambulance perhaps LWB 168 H, not sure if number is correct. Plenty of...
  7. S

Rover Sd1

Did you work for Otto Durr, or Wesley shire, I had to spend hours standing by in case of fires during welding operations, in paint shops SD1, north works, east block , block 38, and others dotted around the two sites. We used to have contractors gas welding with oxygen and acetylene pipes...
  8. S

Lost Trophies of Birmingham industrial fire brigades.

Here is a photo of the Triplex Volunteer Fire Brigade showing off our completion Trophies, we competed at weekends against other Factory fire brigades. The factories that competed were Triplex Safety Glass, Cadbury Chocolate, Sanky , Dunlop Tyres, Morris Motors and others that I have trouble...
  9. S

Wolesley or Morris Commercial fire brigades

Mikejee, thankyou.
  10. S

Hi Rover, I have contacted the Gypsy owner and asked him to send me a few photos , so if he does I will post them on forum for you to see. Not sure if we can post email address on forum so if we can I could send them to you direct. Cheers
  11. S

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

What wonderful memories of the Market hall I have, the lady at the entrance shouting Andykaria which were made of brown paper OK in the dry but when wet going up the bus stairs the bottom used to fall out and a pound of mussels whelks and shrimps would scatter on the bus platform , snarls from...
  12. S

Funny old world I delivered papers for Westwoods, all around the Maypole area, Despatch Post and evening mail, 3 bags of papers on a sunday and the Argus on saturdays, all for 9bob (45 pence).
  13. S

Hi Bernard, thanks for the fast reply, I have sent the photos and links over to the chap. What part of the Maypole did you live, I lived in prefab down Druids lane area 40's to 60's. Saturday matinee at the Maypole cinema. Regards
  14. S

Hi there, can anybody help me with information about Wolesley or Morris Commercial fire brigades, at Ward end or Adderly st. Somebody has recently contacted me seeking information about an Austin Gypsy fire tender that he believes was used at a BMC plant in Birmingham, possibly Wolesley or...
  15. S

Outer circle Motorcycle run 1960's

That's good its nice to now other people remember these events, I can remember passing the Levis factory. My uncle Billy Birkett lived just down the road from there, we used to get off the bus and walk past the Atlas cinema, pop into the Pawn shop on the corner and drop off the old mans best...
Back