• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by streamboy

1. S

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Wonderful photos, our history at our fingertips, Thankyou for posting. My memory is from the fifties when Ruth had left home but a wonderful place to go on a Saturday morning. Across the road there used to be a shop and in the window were made up Meccano models my favourite was a big crane which...
  2. S

Lost Trophies of Birmingham industrial fire brigades.

Here is a photo of the Triplex Volunteer Fire Brigade showing off our completion Trophies, we competed at weekends against other Factory fire brigades. The factories that competed were Triplex Safety Glass, Cadbury Chocolate, Sanky , Dunlop Tyres, Morris Motors and others that I have trouble...
  3. S

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I look at that building and think of who built and lived in it. Property developers look and think how many flats can I squeeze into it.
  4. S

Was the Brush works called Lengs.
  5. S

How times have changed no roller shutters with graffiti.
  6. S

Their chips were nice.
  7. S

Davenport beers were an acquired taste, preferred Ansell's or MnB.
  8. S

If we have had modern digital cameras then can you remember the wealth of lost buildings roads vehicles we could have captured, instead of taking a couple of photos on our box brownies and waiting months to be able to afford the developing costs at Boots we could have clicked way untill our...
  9. S

Bedsteads in Deritend?

Cheers all of my aunts lived around the area of Heath Mill when they got married and slowly moved out to all corners of Birmingham after WW2.
  10. S

Wolesley or Morris Commercial fire brigades

Mikejee, thankyou.
  11. S

Wolesley or Morris Commercial fire brigades

Hi Rover, I have contacted the Gypsy owner and asked him to send me a few photos , so if he does I will post them on forum for you to see. Not sure if we can post email address on forum so if we can I could send them to you direct. Cheers
  12. S

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

What wonderful memories of the Market hall I have, the lady at the entrance shouting Andykaria which were made of brown paper OK in the dry but when wet going up the bus stairs the bottom used to fall out and a pound of mussels whelks and shrimps would scatter on the bus platform , snarls from...
  13. S

Lost Trophies of Birmingham industrial fire brigades.

During the 1970s I worked at the Triplex Safety Glass Kings Norton and was a member of the works volunteer fire service. On Sunday mornings I would attend training sessions at the Morris Commercial factory at ward end. At the end of 8 weeks we would sit an exam and await our results , once the...
  14. S

The Valley pub, Billesley

Still remember that school dentist , can see that grinning ghoulish lady that held the mask to my face. Saturday at the Tudor, and ice cream on walk home at the newsagents. And what a fabulous air show and display at the common , Harriers up and down , Vulcan flying over our house in stirchley...
  15. S

Kings Heath greyhound stadium

As a kid i was taken to the Alcester lanes end dogs by my mom, while the races were on i would pick up all the discarded tickets and compare the amount with all the other kids to see who had found the most, but at the end of the day mine had to go in the bin before i left, it was like being an...