• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by StMatt

1. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

I have asked this question about his surname and was told that the people who were to adopt him didn’t because he misbehaved and that his surname was never changed. You are spot on. They did live to adulthood and John Henry would have been the eldest child. The twin girl was not registered and...
  2. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

3. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

You are spot on. They did live to adulthood and John Henry would have been the eldest child. The twin girl was not registered and I think it was stillborn. There wasn’t a record of her.
  4. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

Thank you for the info. Johns surviving son and youngest child was my grandad (Sidney Victor Matthews). The other 6 children were all girls. The eldest child who was a boy died young and one of the twin girls died at or before birth. It is possible that John was not in Middlesexand moved to...
  5. S

Smith glass factory

No, but I will have a look. Thank you
  6. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

Thank you all for your responses. I do appreciate the time you put in to help my search, unfortunately I cannot confirm any of them and some can definitely be ruled out. So I am trying another approach. I know that John Matthews married in St Mary’s church, Aston to Bertha Harrison in 1890. He...
  7. S

Smith glass factory

Henry Smith of Green lane in Bordesley Green , Aston was my great great grandfather. My grandparents lived with my great grandparents in green lane before moving into Blake lane and my gggf Henry is shown as living at that address with my ggf William Henry. I also found Henry at Baskerville Row...
  8. S

Smith glass factory

Thanks for the info. I hadn’t considered checking for wills but I will have a go. I have had a look at some trade directories but as I don’t know the year and smith being a common name I could find some but couldn’t be certain if any were right also I had to guess where and when the factory...
  9. S

Smith glass factory

Ok, I have briefly looked at rates but your right it is difficult to be certain. Still I will persevere. Thank you for your help.
  10. S

Smith glass factory

I am trying to find out about my GGFs glass factory. The family story is that either William Henry Smith or his father Henry Smith has a glass factory. William was born in 1862 or 1864 and lived in Small heath. He was married to Catherine Tracy Green. Both William and Henry were glass cutters...
  11. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

Thanks for the info. I can tell you that John Matthews died in 1920. He and Bertha had 6 children the eldest was Annie and the youngest was my grandfather Sidney Victor Matthews. I have tried Charles from Portsmouth and cannot be certain that this ties in. The post regarding Charles from Oldham...
  12. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

I will have another look but I think we ruled both this one out because on later censuses John and his marriage certificate (to Bertha Harrison) suggest that he was born in 1866 and he has written that he was born in Aston, Birmingham but I will follow it up and see if it leads anywhere. We have...
  13. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

Thank you thank you for this. I have looked at this previously but cannot find a way to confirm that this is “our John” although it is a possibility.
  14. S

John Matthews Aston 1866

I am trying to trace my great grandfathers family in particular his early life and his parents. I was told that he was an orphan and went to a blue coat school, although I cannot verify this and he doesn’t appear on censuses until he is in his twenties. I know that he was a shoeing smith and on...
Back