• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Steve Wright

1. Steve Wright

6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion (Six Triple Eight)

They also got in some performances...
  2. Steve Wright

On the 15th February, the battalion paraded on the school playing fields off Eastern Road... Just this once(!) , as it's an interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
  3. Steve Wright

On 14th February 1945, the Birmingham Post reported on the arrival of the Six Triple Eight at the old school in a rather upbeat piece... We've yet to find the photo of the two ladies and the young boy.
  4. Steve Wright

Yes, I rather got stuck on the memories of others theme and Facebook. I should be making the thread more informative. Thank you. Yes, the authorities would have been US.
  5. Steve Wright

That's a particularly disturbing case. Councillor Albert Bradbeer, for whom the West Heath school is named, was an advocate of the members. I say members, as others went to the baths after the first told them of her experience. Sadly, the Deputy Mayor had no powers to overturn the military's order.
  6. Steve Wright

Thanks. We have those and then some. The Birmingham media reported on all manner of events and occasions as Brummies showed that spirit of hospitality for which we are well known.
  7. Steve Wright

Hello, Carolann - thanks for your reply. I believe we may be at cross purposes. My school is the old King Edward's on the Bristol Road whereas yours is Collingwood.
  8. Steve Wright

US Base Pheasey Estate

I've just started a thread on the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion (Six Triple Eight) -https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/6888th-central-postal-directory-battalion-six-triple-eight.52014/. I'm working to corroborate anecdotal evidence which mentions some of its...
  9. Steve Wright

The Six Triple Eight was an all-Black, all-female, US Women's Army Corps unit that was sent to Birmingham in February 1945 to deal with the backlog of mail which had built up. It was stationed at the old King Edward's School buildings on the Bristol Road. Given six months to complete the task it...
  10. Steve Wright

Birmingham Training college - Bristol Road, Westbourne Road

That's great, thanks. It would be 'greater' to find one showing 6888th members. Maybe one day.
  11. Steve Wright

Birmingham Training college - Bristol Road, Westbourne Road

First of all, thanks for this thread, which I realise was started a good number of years ago. The 6888th (Six Triple Eight) is a unit I've been researching. I know of no Canadian soldiers stationed in the former school buildings but I have been told about the dances in Muntz Park. I have a...
Back