• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Steph Thompson

1. S

Walker Thomas of Henry Street

I believe his birthday to be 28th Jan 1886. Fibs are a possibility.
  2. S

I have not been able to find this entry on Ancestry. I will look again later. My instinct says not him. On his service record it says trade brought up to. (Implies you followed your father ) Railway stoker/ engine cleaner. This is great you have all given me lots to think about.
  3. S

Yes that's them.
  4. S

Yes, he married Mary Marshall. I have the certificate which does not state his parents. Thanks. That looks interesting. Where did you see that?
  5. S

Yes that's him.I have his full service record. Next of kin just says father. Nothing else that is helpful I don't think.
  6. S

Just one last thing, please. Have you any idea what it says above the crossing out in the rates book entry.
  7. S

He died in 1935 in Preston. Thank you anyway.
  8. S

My dad said he was an only child but he seemed not to know much. I will have a look at the rates book. He my have lived there only for a short time and without his family. Sounds like he could have joined up to get away from something. Thanks again.
  9. S

Thanks for the interest. I can not find him on 1901 or 1891 census. I have searched for a birth certificate as I know his date of birth. I have been looking for some time but can find nothing. The only other thing I know is that he may have worked for the railway as a stoker.
  10. S

Sorry if you think I was being rude it was a very general enquiry and therefore just chatty. My granddad was Thomas Walker, he joined the navy when he was 19 in 1905. I believe he was an only child but my dad knew very little about his early life. He did not return to Birmingham after his...
  11. S

I have been trying to find anything about my granddads early life. On his navy papers he put his address as 91 Henry Street but I can only find Sarah Silk there. Would there have been other families living in the house? The houses look very large. He joined up in 1905.
Back