• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by St Clive

1. S

Conway Road School

Sadly Dave Wilks passed away some 3 years ago in his 80s he played banjo and was well known for his rendition of duelling banjos. I do recall that he was very friendly with Bill Formby, brother of the famous George! David had a huge collection of old banjos but much like the late Roy Castle...
  2. S

Golden Hillock Road School

Mr Marsden is correct, he tried to teach me from 1954 to 1958, poor but lovely man.
  3. S

Conway Road School

My sister also went to Conway Rd girls school from 1951 to 1955 (Margaret Lee), coincidentally I also attended Golden Hillock boys from 1954 to 1958 (RobertLee) Mr Haynes was Headmaster. with regards to music club at Conway Rd, an older friend of mine (Dave Wilks) ran both a jazz and skiffle...
  4. S

Grotto cafe Bromsgrove Street 1960’s

Good day all, I was a frequent visitor to the Grotto club from 1959 to 1964. It was owned by the Finn brothers who were diverse business men, the cafe part of the business was nothing more than a legitimate front for the “speak easy” type club hidden in the Cellars below, access was walking a...
Back