• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by splinter555

1. S

Stoke Street Ladywood

Does anyone remember the greengrocers on the corner of stoke st. and william st. it was called donkey georges if I remember right.
  2. S

Bus Tokens

We moved from Ladywood to Kings Norton in 1956, used tokens for travelling back to St Thomas,s school for about a month until I got fixed up at Brandwood End school. I don,t think you had to be poor to get them every child who used a bus for school qualified for the tokens.
  3. S

Where did you live

Holliday street ladywood, then posh kings norton (we thought in those days)
  4. S

Some old pictures of Birmingham canals

If that is Bath Row bridge then the line and canal run parallel to Communication Row and Holiday Street right down to the old goods yard at junction of suffolk st. and Holiday St. There was 3 train lines on different levels back in the 1950,s but I think the high level wasn,t used then. The...
  5. S

Brandwood Secondary School, Sunderton Road, Kings Heath

Reading these posts makes me feel that I must be one of the oldest remaining pupils from Brandwood. I started there in 1955 just after the school opened and left aged 15 in 1959. I don,t recognise any of the teachers mentioned. The headmaster was mr Locker who lived quite local to the school and...
Back