• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Speedwing

1. S

Cadbury Building Crooked Lane

Peck Lane vanished with the clearance of the Froggery way back but the alignment roughly crossed New Street station from what became Stephenson Street to Queens Drive above the platforms. Maybe it was that memory perhaps. This was covered some time back in...
  2. S

Quite correct, my initial orientation based on the TNA document was a bit skewed. The plan of the building was rather general and didn't provide a good reference point. Here is a cross section of the tunnel which shows the section around the junction of Crooked Passage and High Street and a...
  3. S

The National Archive has an interesting document hidden deep in the Rail 39 collection which contains many hundreds of documents related to the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway which was opened in 1852 through to what became later known as Snow Hill station. Rail 39/470 contains a copy...
  4. S

A lost Birmingham tunnel? a piece of Birmingham Railway History ?

Today the area was blinded with sand and shortly after lunch the two chaps began removing the exposed bricks no doubt to the level of the sand. https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10449/P1030205-1.jpg In the background were four segments of a circle which had...
  5. S

A lost Birmingham tunnel? a piece of Birmingham Railway History ?

Here perhaps? https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10449/Broad_Street_air_shaft.jpg It ventilated the tunnel which today pops out by the Arena site and smoke and steam would appear over the wall next to the Municipal Bank
  6. S

NewSt Station 2015

I like so many others have spent the past few days admiring our new toy especially the atrium which was long overdue. Back in 1907 Birmingham born Architect William Joseph Haywood produced a scheme for a new New Street station which incorporated a grand entrance from the Hill Street end leading...
  7. S

NewSt Station 2015

Hmm, Pedantic me thinks a little artistic license has been employed else passengers may be asked in future to lend a hand by pushing the electric Pendolinos out of the platforms and back under the wires. That is in addition to a daily jet washing of all white shiny surfaces to remove the day's...
  8. S

Birmingham on Sea

Birnbeck Pier now on at most risk register see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34262313
  9. S

Birmingham on Sea

Hmm.. is it me or does the Donkey population now outnumber the humans? What's wrong, the sun is shining, the sea is within walking distance....
  10. S

Harborne

On re-reading this thread recently I recalled some stuff I researched back in the late 90's when I too was looking at the remnants of the old reservoir. The subject resurfaced again last week when I noted boarding being erected around the old site of the scrapyard which occupied the former...
  11. S

New unseen photos with no locations

If this is the case, the following reference may help in dating: Clipped from Ray Shill’s Workshop of the World: Birmingham’s Industrial Heritage...
  12. S

New unseen photos with no locations

Solihull Gas works perhaps Canal nearby NW/SE, thus half round blue bricks in foreground, house has old Band 1/2 TV aerial pointing north toward Sutton Coldfield, sun on south face of chimney
  13. S

Great Queen Street

Somehow managed to find a higher resolution copy, probably from an old Sotherby's catalogue
  14. S

Steam and Commercial Vehicles

Rainy weekend in Newhall Street maybe in 1978, more about the people than the steamers, the little girl mesmerized by the organ and the man from the Ministry of Funny Walks
  15. S

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Might be wrong, but isn't it still there? I can remember exiting the Odeon after the fire alarm sounded and ending up in the passage as well as using it as a shortcut to get to Station Street
Back