• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Spargone

1. S

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

This one? A Congregationalists and Independents church?
  2. S

Stechford Area

According to The London, Midland and Scottish Railway Vol. 5. S. Jenkins & M. Loader: "Opened for 'short' (i.e. local) trains in December 1844, the first station was a simple wayside stopping place with staggered platforms on either side of a level crossing. The present station was opened on 1...
  3. S

newtown 1967

I crossed-paths at Christmas with a retired social worker who worked in that area and I am hoping the two of us and the necessary technology can get together in the near future and put together some more background. It would be nice if someone recognises themselves! I was thinking that maybe...
  4. S

newtown 1967

Christmas party time at New John Street West! Some strays that I found in another box.
  5. S

Library Of Birmingham Web Site

I am interested in getting a copy of a photograph in a book that the author said came from Birmingham libraries. Just after Christmas I visited the central library. My first problem was finding it! I found the building OK but all I could find inside was a cafe and a theatre. There was an...
  6. S

Colmore Row

Are the tramways staff trying to form letters? They certainly look organised into groups.
  7. S

sayings

Merriam-Webster says "from fainaigue to renege". OED gives Renege: to deny , renounce. Renege on: fail to keep (promise etc.) disappoint (person). Surely not much different from your understanding?
  8. S

sayings

"Cat: The small animal, of course, but in slang it means something that looks, sounds or simply is absolutely awful. It’s short for cat malojan, which is probably short for the phrase, cat on a melodeon. You can imagine that a cat standing on a melodeon is likely to make an awful sound. That is...
  9. S

sayings

Irish spelling craic, An enjoyable time spent with other people, especially when the conversation is entertaining and funny. [Cambridge Dictionary]
  10. S

sayings

From Merriam-Webster dictionary: Finagle - transitive verb 1: To obtain by indirect or involved means 'finagle a ride home'. 2: to obtain by trickery 'finangled his way into the concert'. intransitive verb to use devious or dishonest methods to achieve one's ends First known use 1924...
  11. S

Then & Now

Thanks for the info. on the bus as I had noticed it looked different. The Mini Clubman Estate dates the picture to 1972 I would have thought. My first car was the same model but COH and shared the K suffix.
  12. S

Windows 10

Guilbert53, no doubt that should work but then there might be sounds that I should want to hear. The particular event that I would like to stop is especially annoying because in many ways I have been 'good' to Win10, i.e. I have given it plenty of time to carry out its actions and my reward is...
  13. S

Windows 10

Thankfully Windows 10 is mostly free, (out of the box), of all those 'sounds' of earlier versions, like the fanfare when starting up. However there is one residual sound that really irritates and which remains even after I had a go at trying to get rid of it, (I probably failed because I don't...
  14. S

Windows 10

From the ZoneAlarm website: "ZoneAlarm is the consumer brand of Check Point Software Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: CHKP). With nearly 100 million downloads, ZoneAlarm protects PCs from viruses, spyware, hackers and identity theft. The award-winning Internet security product line is installed in...
  15. S

Curzon Street Railway Station

The excellent warwickshirerailways.com website perhaps provides the answer (and some good contemporary descriptions of the station). Here is the 1838 layout, consisting of six roads linked by 12' turntables. The roads must be sensibly placed if only to fit the turntables in. From a modeller's...